State Tournament

CuriousParent67

1 hour ago, grumpyoldman said:

Weird some regions are open to view brackets, some still closed.  Shouldn’t they all open same time?

I think some just keep them top secret so the other regions don't know what's going on or they simply wait until everyone has weighed in. 

Edited by goblue1

On the crowning of too many state champions....check out this quote from the GHSA web site:

"The 2022 GHSA Traditional Wrestling State Championships were held February 10-12 at the Macon Centerplex. Congratulations to the 108 individual state champions in boys & girls divisions and to all the competitors.  The team winners were: Camden County (7A), Buford (6A), Cass (5A), West Laurens (4A), Gilmer (3A), Lovett (2A), and Trion (1A)."

3 hours ago, RMC said:

On the crowning of too many state champions....check out this quote from the GHSA web site:

"The 2022 GHSA Traditional Wrestling State Championships were held February 10-12 at the Macon Centerplex. Congratulations to the 108 individual state champions in boys & girls divisions and to all the competitors.  The team winners were: Camden County (7A), Buford (6A), Cass (5A), West Laurens (4A), Gilmer (3A), Lovett (2A), and Trion (1A)."

Everyone get’s a trophy!  Many of these people would have a stroke if they had to compete in California or New Jersey

22 minutes ago, cbg said:

Everyone get’s a trophy!  Many of these people would have a stroke if they had to compete in California or New Jersey

Heck college should do away with D2,D3,NAIA and Junior College. If can’t win a D1 NCAA championship why bother going out and competing. 

Edited by Appvol
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Appvol said:

Heck college should do away with D2,D3,NAIA and Junior College. If can’t win a D1 NCAA championship why bother going out and competing. 

Don’t forget that the NAIA, D2 and D3 schools were allowed to compete in the D1 tournament until the NCAA changed the rules. Gray Simons was a 4X NAIA national champion and 3X NCAA champion for Lock Haven. At that time the NCAA did not allow freshmen to compete on the varsity level.  

Edited by cbg

Everyone should get off the "everybody gets a trophy" and little Johnny arguments. This is not true. There are no participation awards given out at any wrestling tournament I've seen, just alot of heartbreak for guys that sacrifice but don't medal. There are lots of good wrestlers that don't get an award at the State Championship. Every single State Champion is deserving of that title. This isn't the 5th grade coed sack race. Each and every State Champion is a bad dude. When they are talking about it with pride years later, I'm sure they could care less how it's done in New Jersey or California. In my book, there isn't a more prestigious State Champion than a wrestling State Champion regardless of what division they won it in.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cbg said:

Don’t forget that the NAIA, D2 and D3 schools were allowed to compete in the D1 tournament until the NCAA changed the rules. Gray Simons was a 4X NAIA national champion and 3X NCAA champion for Lock Haven. At that time the NCAA did not allow freshmen to compete on the varsity level.  

Fairly certain Randy Batten, of UTC, was 3 time D2 National Champ (75-78) and competed in the NCAA D1 tournament.  I know at least once he was one match from AA.    

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, RMC said:

Fairly certain Randy Batten, of UTC, was 3 time D2 National Champ (75-78) and competed in the NCAA D1 tournament.  I know at least once he was one match from AA.    

Just look at all of the D1 national champions from Cal State Bakersfield when they were a D2 school.  IMO, the NCAA changed the rules because a few of the large D1 wrestling powers were embarrassed that some of the small school D2 kids were winning the D1 tournament.

As far as duals I wouldn't mind if they had kept the small and large school split as it was starting in 1989-1990, but only for the duals. Now I keep seeing people mention TN and the rise in population, I understand that and maybe there are more teams out there, but is there anyone that can tell me the numbers of actual wrestlers from lets say year before all these different splits and now?  I mean with a population boom as there has been in the state you would think we would have a 30% or so rise in wrestlers IF these splits actually worked to grow the sport as we were told. As far as someone who said small school kids dont have a chance to win the title because they dont have others in their wrestling room. I think Tim Voiles would be a good example you make the best of what you get. I saw Tim drive almost every single day from Lookout Valley to Soddy Daisy to practice to make sure he had great practice partners. He was the only wrestler the team had in a few seasons and was still a multi-time state champ and medalist. The best do what they need to become the best, wrestling for sure is that kind because even with a team you are on that mat yourself.

• Thanks 1

We are in a state that rarely produces any college All-Americans in comparison to a state let’s say like Georgia. That’s a fact a hard fact to swallow but a fact. I mean college All-Americans on any Division level… We should stop talking about consolidating  one state championship an start making sure we the coaches are preparing our athletes not just to get a scholarship D1, NAIA, D2, D3, and  juco but to actually start on said teams, and then compete on the next level and bring some honors home to TN. If you want to consolidate  something We need to be pulling together in the off season training more to get these kids ready for the next level success. Why? So those kids can come back coach and raise the level of wrestling. Y’all complain about Georgia but they produce more all-Americans then we do across all the college levels…

• Like 1