Tellico Plains Head Coach (Looking Again)

catchnburn

4 hours ago, BruceColetrain said:

Sometimes the best fix is a total outsider that will come in like a bull in a china shop...fix it and dont care who he makes mad. Monroe Co is totally fixated on chasing ghosts. What alumni from Tellico would be worth it? Seriously think about it...

Derrick would be a logical choice for a Monroe Co school too. Hes was a good coach...but again HES FROM THERE MAN...will not fix any Monroe Co School.

For the record...I am against hiring someone in ANY district simply because they are local. You miss out on too much.

Derrick is from Polk County....

You mean just from this area? It's hard to bring in an outsider. The bull in a china shop gets fired over destroying the shop lol 

7 minutes ago, catchnburn said:

You mean just from this area? It's hard to bring in an outsider. The bull in a china shop gets fired over destroying the shop lol 

I know Derrick is from Polk Co. That area just recycles guys like yesterdays garbage.

That bull gets fired for ruffling feathers...those feathers think they know too much. Sometimes the bull is exactly what the shop needs...total change. 

Its hard to bring in an outsider because Monroe Co doesnt seem to trust anyone but Sweet Water/ Madisonville "greats" . So if you aint from there, you have no shot.

2 minutes ago, BruceColetrain said:

I know Derrick is from Polk Co. That area just recycles guys like yesterdays garbage.

That bull gets fired for ruffling feathers...those feathers think they know too much. Sometimes the bull is exactly what the shop needs...total change. 

Its hard to bring in an outsider because Monroe Co doesnt seem to trust anyone but Sweet Water/ Madisonville "greats" . So if you aint from there, you have no shot.

Yeah. Difficult to do it right. 

1 hour ago, catchnburn said:

I've done it and can confirm. Got hired once to blow a program up and start over and was told it was a five year job, but they gave me five months because I was changing too many things.....They still haven't made the playoffs since 1984 (out of state team.)

2 minutes ago, BottomOfTheLake said:

From my understanding, there is very little, if any way that the past few head football coaches were able to hire quality assistant coaches in the building.  They were expected to pick up volunteer assistants.  

that would be expected really.  It's a tough gig!  It will take a coach willing to coach players AND coaches.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:38 PM, orngnblk said:

Yep happens at most small Country schools.

I can remember the days when most of the staff at SP were teachers.  Don Grider had Micky Wilson, Ron Summey, Dave Baxter and David Hale.  Summey was a 7th & 8th grade teacher.  SP is a 7 through 12 school.  That's why goobers like the announcers at Monterey etc. think SP is a much bigger school than it really is.

1 hour ago, rlh said:

I can remember the days when most of the staff at SP were teachers.  Don Grider had Micky Wilson, Ron Summey, Dave Baxter and David Hale.  Summey was a 7th & 8th grade teacher.  SP is a 7 through 12 school.  That's why goobers like the announcers at Monterey etc. think SP is a much bigger school than it really is.

When I played 85-89 (came out in 8th grade).All our coaches were teachers.If I remember correctly it was that way till about 2013.When Ryan came in 15 only one teacher from the old staff stayed.He used 1 teacher and the others were youth league coaches that Ridge/Hicks wouldnt use because they said "High school ball isnt youth league"....Well those youth league coaches helped Ryan to 4 Title appearances in 5 years.If Ryan's crew would have been coaching in 14 we would have had another Silver ball.Those unpaid old Youth league coaches were all X Cherokees and coached like it!That's why I personally like Old Players as coaches in small town ball.You all us,Cloudland,Hampton,TC all have proven it works

• Upvote 1