GC vs WV

mas1821

2 hours ago, sportslover88 said:

pioneer42….what changes/adjustments has Wilkins made over the three games that they have played them? Has he tried anything knew or stuck with the same plan all three times? I haven’t seen much difference with any of the times they have played each other so just curious if there is a reason why he won’t try a different approach

If history in an indicator and there’s a game 4, I’m predicting he will use the old drop back zone press he’s used for years. It’s been effective in the past. Let’s get to that game first, then we can talk on it. Lol. 

1 hour ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

If history in an indicator and there’s a game 4, I’m predicting he will use the old drop back zone press he’s used for years. It’s been effective in the past. Let’s get to that game first, then we can talk on it. Lol. 

You the one that posted that GC was 0-16 from 3 point land the first 16 shots right?? GC had several Turnovers to go with that. That ought to be enough reason for alarm for Westview. We had two or three great looks early in the 3rd as well. GC shot terrible and handled the ball terrible and was still in striking distance middle of 3rd. Westview the last two games has started game off with a Simms three I believe and getting GC behind right off the bat. Would be very interesting if GC makes a couple of big shots early and Westview misses a couple in a Region Final game if it materializes.  I have looked at your post and yes Westview has dominated the last two especially with great defense, but a lot of things have went Westview’s way and GC has still been in striking distance especially last night. GC is due to make an early three or two and break out of its shooting slump. Could get interesting in Region if GC can get by the first two and face Westview again. 

Edited by pioneer42

Also saying this. I know all of these girls well and love them like my own. I have traveled all over Missouri, Tennessee, Arkansas and Kentucky for the last few years watching these girls. I have seen them do great things and have a lot of confidence in these girls and know what they can do and have done against great competition. I believe in them a bunch. Look at yourself in the mirror in the morning and think about what great things you have done because y’all are great players. Keep your heads up and keep battling and have fun. 

Edited by pioneer42

14 minutes ago, Waker said:

GC should handle Camden pretty easily.

I know y’all played them and beat them two out of three but looking at the Houston County win at their place by 17 or so is a pretty good win especially since Houston County played McKenzie to the wire twice. In  these do or die games you have to dot your i’s and cross your t’s. 

I would play stall ball if I was Gibson County since Westview doesn’t press.  You need could fundamental basketball and a good point and Gibson Co has that.  You have to overplay and not let Alexander and Sims get any looks from three.  I sag off Jada the best I can and make her beat you from 3, which is highly likely.  I would hope for a game in the 20s.

52 minutes ago, 1983 said:

I would play stall ball if I was Gibson County since Westview doesn’t press.  You need could fundamental basketball and a good point and Gibson Co has that.  You have to overplay and not let Alexander and Sims get any looks from three.  I sag off Jada the best I can and make her beat you from 3, which is highly likely.  I would hope for a game in the 20s.

Huntingdon tried it and turned it over too much. We have been Turnover machines as well here lately but it is an option especially to pull them out of the zone. We overplay some now but are getting tangled up just enough on screens for Simms to pull the trigger. Getting the ball to Madison and running my offense through her every possession like the 2020 Union City game would be my plan. Inside out. Wilkins is a man to man guy and I respect that but players like Jada and Karly are two different animals. We don’t have KJ White and Hannah Ball with this group and they set a lot of screens so IMO he better try a different plan if the game happens. The next several days practices and game planning from here on out ought to be very detailed. I would practice on Westview every day after my initial Camden practice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

You the one that posted that GC was 0-16 from 3 point land the first 16 shots right?? GC had several Turnovers to go with that. That ought to be enough reason for alarm for Westview. We had two or three great looks early in the 3rd as well. GC shot terrible and handled the ball terrible and was still in striking distance middle of 3rd. Westview the last two games has started game off with a Simms three I believe and getting GC behind right off the bat. Would be very interesting if GC makes a couple of big shots early and Westview misses a couple in a Region Final game if it materializes.  I have looked at your post and yes Westview has dominated the last two especially with great defense, but a lot of things have went Westview’s way and GC has still been in striking distance especially last night. GC is due to make an early three or two and break out of its shooting slump. Could get interesting in Region if GC can get by the first two and face Westview again. 

Yes that’s what the radio announcer said doing the post game stats. I assure you WV will not be thinking about the prior games, if there’s another. This team is preached on about one game at a time. Whether it’s GC, UC, OC or anyone else. We’ve seen it too many times. GC finds a way when you think you got them and they fight until the final buzzer. If there’s a game 4, I predict it’ll be a dog fight. 

1 hour ago, 1983 said:

That’s a good game plan if your opponent doesn’t have quick guards and depth, but you do know (?) that we have a pretty good press and trap game as well. We scored upper 80s in summer ball on 3 or 4 occasions playing that style. Also, our guards are too fast to hold it from us when we go man. I don’t believe that style would benefit GC. If they knock down a couple of threes early the other night, it’s a different game. 1st quarter, we didn’t shoot that great either but we made up from outside after that. 
let’s win the next two & do it again. 

Last take on GC/Westview but I believe I play a zone to keep Westview from getting in the paint and getting layups and kinda force them to shoot outside or if they take it to the rim a more contested defense. Westview has lit it up playing GC the last two and they have a few buckets just beating our girls off the dribble. A zone would at least cut the paint off and make them beat me 15 foot out at least you would hope. And this is is not just GC it would be any team because Jada is a nightmare for any team guarding her man to man. 

Edited by pioneer42

33 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Last take on GC/Westview but I believe I play a zone to keep Westview from getting in the paint and getting layups and kinda force them to shoot outside or if they take it to the rim a more contested defense. Westview has lit it up playing GC the last two and they have a few buckets just beating our girls off the dribble. A zone would at least cut the paint off and make them beat me 15 foot out at least you would hope. And this is is not just GC it would be any team because Jada is a nightmare for any team guarding her man to man. 

I’m with you on moving on from this. Im calling GC by 20 over Camden and let’s handle our business. Good luck and WV is pulling for you.