Westview vs Loretto

sportslover88

7 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

WV knew Loretto was explosive and is a great team. Our zone frustrated them, and WV’s plan was to contest #22 and not give her outside space. Jada is still not a 100%, but she’s better than she was on Wednesday. I believe we only took 4 threes tonight which is probably a career low for WV under Haskins tenure, but the drive and dish was there. Neither team was burning threes tonight, and we both missed 5-6 free throws. The Refs called it pretty evenly with 3 or 4 obvious missed calls on both sides. Loretto got robbed on a run out play when a couple of our girls collided and Barr got taken down from the back, but overall..they let them play physical pretty much both ways. Glad y’all won and let’s play one more time next Saturday, if we can get both there. 

Man I am doubling up on meds now. Your right. One game at a time. Haskins is a great coach and a good guy. He has built a powerhouse program. He has had some terrible luck with injuries with the last PG and I was there I think both times she got hurt One was at Obion County in a scrimmage against Peabody I believe and the other time it was in Murfreesboro I believe. I like Haskins. He is a super nice guy. Congratulations on a big win. Loretto is a powerhouse too. 

33 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

WV knew Loretto was explosive and is a great team. Our zone frustrated them, and WV’s plan was to contest #22 and not give her outside space. Jada is still not a 100%, but she’s better than she was on Wednesday. I believe we only took 4 threes tonight which is probably a career low for WV under Haskins tenure, but the drive and dish was there. Neither team was burning threes tonight, and we both missed 5-6 free throws. The Refs called it pretty evenly with 3 or 4 obvious missed calls on both sides. Loretto got robbed on a run out play when a couple of our girls collided and Barr got taken down with a no call from the back, but overall..they let them play physical pretty much both ways. Glad GC won and let’s play one more time next Saturday, if we can get both there. 

yeah, that was the one i was referring to as a blatant bad call, we got it to 23-23 right before that happened and had the ball with 5 on 3 in transition and the refs stopped the play, completely changing momentum.  Not sure what the ref was thinking that blew his whistle, but where we're from, we see much more consistent bad calls.   They let a lot of bodying go on both sides, I'd def rather it be called like that than everything down to handchecks being called.  We will be rooting for WV & GC at state from Lawrence Co!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, westtn12 said:

What happened with Loretto? We’re they overhyped or just lost steam at the end??

Def not overhyped.  Nov-Jan we were super explosive, played with crazy confidence, and just a different team.  We were the number 1 scoring team in the state (all classes) while playing a very tough schedule.  I can't tell u what happened.  Offensively, we have been on the struggle bus since February.  We scored 25+ more points against suffocating defenses like JSS & Westmoreland (Karly scored about 30 in both those games), but as a team only mustered 30 against a 2-3 zone.  No faith in putting up open 3's tonight.  I thought WV would beat us by 20 if we continued to be out of sync on offense.  Our girls played their hearts out on D to keep the game close.  We just happened to peak in Dec/Jan.  But these girls always put forth 100% and gave us a lot of great memories, and all of Loretto is super proud of them.

1 hour ago, mas1821 said:

Def not overhyped.  Nov-Jan we were super explosive, played with crazy confidence, and just a different team.  We were the number 1 scoring team in the state (all classes) while playing a very tough schedule.  I can't tell u what happened.  Offensively, we have been on the struggle bus since February.  We scored 25+ more points against suffocating defenses like JSS & Westmoreland (Karly scored about 30 in both those games), but as a team only mustered 30 against a 2-3 zone.  No faith in putting up open 3's tonight.  I thought WV would beat us by 20 if we continued to be out of sync on offense.  Our girls played their hearts out on D to keep the game close.  We just happened to peak in Dec/Jan.  But these girls always put forth 100% and gave us a lot of great memories, and all of Loretto is super proud of them.

Just finished watching the game. Jada does what she does and controls tempo and just managed the game super. Loretto kinda timid attacking the 2-3 zone. Thought Loretto played outstanding defense and offensive rebounding was really good. Like I said last night, Haskins is is a master at controlling tempo. Sometimes a 6 point lead feels like a 12 point lead with them. Just a very solid team. Jada is going to make a college team very proud. 

Congrats to Westview and Gibson County on their victories tonight.  It would not surprise me to see both in the state finals next Saturday.  I'm so proud of our Lady Mustangs on their grit and determination tonight.  Our defense kept us in the game and gave us a chance to take the lead with less than one minute left in the game, but sometime the shots don't fall.  It was an honor to watch this senior class and it would not surprise me if they won more games than any other class in Loretto basketball history.  Good luck to all that is going to the Glass House !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gogold said:

Congrats to Westview and Gibson County on their victories tonight.  It would not surprise me to see both in the state finals next Saturday.  I'm so proud of our Lady Mustangs on their grit and determination tonight.  Our defense kept us in the game and gave us a chance to take the lead with less than one minute left in the game, but sometime the shots don't fall.  It was an honor to watch this senior class and it would not surprise me if they won more games than any other class in Loretto basketball history.  Good luck to all that is going to the Glass House !

Loretto will still be really good with the talent coming in from south Lawrence.  The younger weathers are impressive as well 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Man I am doubling up on meds now. Your right. One game at a time. Haskins is a great coach and a good guy. He has built a powerhouse program. He has had some terrible luck with injuries with the last PG and I was there I think both times she got hurt One was at Obion County in a scrimmage against Peabody I believe and the other time it was in Murfreesboro I believe. I like Haskins. He is a super nice guy. Congratulations on a big win. Loretto is a powerhouse too. 

WV has had some very costly injuries looking back over the last 5-6 years. I believe you were talking about Jada’s sister who tore her ACL one summer. She was two PGs ago. She made it back before the end of the season that year for the last 3-4 games and played in the tourney,but was limited. It seemed like a different line up every night back then. They ran PG by committee that year, but had a couple of big girls (Graves and Johnson) in the post and shooters (Pritchett, Moore, and another couple that could bury them from outside). They almost knocked off a fast & loaded, undefeated SS in the Region final & beat a very good Haywood team on the road in substate late in the game. Then over into the next year, we had another injury at State at a critical moment. Alexis Callins Senior year they were undefeated in the games that she played in that season, and we lost 3 games when she was out with her knee before Christmas that year. COVID put all of us out that year and we liked our chances. Avery Leyhue battled shoulder issues for a large part of her career, but those Leyhue girls (both sets of twins were gamers). Yes, he’s had some ill timed basketball injuries. He’s good with them and WV is lucky to have him. Hope every player up there on every team makes it thru injury free. It should be a fun tourney in all classifications. 

Edited by LetsGoBrandon

11 hours ago, westtn12 said:

What happened with Loretto? We’re they overhyped or just lost steam at the end??

No they were not over hyped. WV is pretty good and I believe the traveling after their Summertown battle could’ve fatigued Loretto a little. The 4 year run those girls made are what stories are written about. I wouldn’t want to play them in their house. Great team with high character, clean playing kids. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Just finished watching the game. Jada does what she does and controls tempo and just managed the game super. Loretto kinda timid attacking the 2-3 zone. Thought Loretto played outstanding defense and offensive rebounding was really good. Like I said last night, Haskins is is a master at controlling tempo. Sometimes a 6 point lead feels like a 12 point lead with them. Just a very solid team. Jada is going to make a college team very proud. 

I agree with this…Loretto was very passive against the zone. It was like no one wanted to take the ball and take control with it. When they attacked it inside though, there Barr stood. She is sooo long that it affected their inside shots

16 hours ago, sportslover88 said:

Since Miss Basketball isn’t announced until Saturday on championship game, I think that was so the tournaments would count towards it and voting didn’t happen until later but I could be wrong

The MISS BASKETBALL awards are given on March 14th at MTSU before the boys state championship games. I think the winners were picked prior to post season, at least that is what tssaa website says. It says it is based on REGULAR SEASON ACCOMPLISHMENTS, GPA, CHARACTER AMONG OTHER THINGS IM SURE. 

Tournament play doesn't hold any weight supposedly

4 hours ago, Audreyhawk20 said:

The MISS BASKETBALL awards are given on March 14th at MTSU before the boys state championship games. I think the winners were picked prior to post season, at least that is what tssaa website says. It says it is based on REGULAR SEASON ACCOMPLISHMENTS, GPA, CHARACTER AMONG OTHER THINGS IM SURE. 

Tournament play doesn't hold any weight supposedly

No they are given the Saturday of the girls state championship for Miss Basketball and then the Mr Basketball are given the next Saturday at Boys state championship games