Westview vs Loretto

sportslover88

If you told me that Westview didn’t hit a single three tonight, I would have told you there’s no way we won but they proved me wrong! They were attacking the basket and took advantage of the inside game. Tonight was a war!! Both teams played their hearts out. Packed house and was worth the price of admission! Congrats on a great season Loretto!! Now let’s go win a gold ball Westview!!!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sportslover88 said:

If you told me that Westview didn’t hit a single three tonight, I would have told you there’s no way we won but they proved me wrong! They were attacking the basket and took advantage of the inside game. Tonight was a war!! Both teams played their hearts out. Packed house and was worth the price of admission! Congrats on a great season Loretto!! Now let’s go win a gold ball Westview!!!!

If you would’ve told me that we can hold Karly Weathers scoreless in the first half and 10 in the game, I would’ve lost a lot of $ on a bet like that. Great atmosphere and the Loretto team & fans have WV’s respect. Friendly people.  Great game by Barr. It seemed like she had about 7 blocks and was finishing her shots in the paint with authority. 

Edited by LetsGoBrandon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

If you would’ve told me that we can hold Karly Weathers scoreless in the first half and 10 in the game, I would’ve lost a lot of $ on a bet like that. Great atmosphere and the Loretto team & fans have WV’s respect. Friendly people.  Great game by Barr. It seemed like she had about 7 blocks and was finishing her shots in the paint with authority. 

Radio said 10 points and 7-8 blocks unofficially! She stayed out of foul trouble and truly played one of her best games of the season!! That’s a senior stepping up when she was needed to most right there!

• Like 1

Congrats to WV.  Refs let a lot go on both sides, about the most consistent crew I've seen this year.  Only one blatant bad call.

Differences in the game:

WV could score in the paint & Loretto could not.  Loretto tried to avoid blocked shots by Barr & altered driving shots instead of driving up into them to initiate contact.  Loretto had a TON of open 3's and consistently hesitated and passed instead of shooting.  Loretto lacked confidence and continued in their decline since January.  Karly was far from herself, but hit some big shots to keep WV from blowing it open.  Loretto was able to hit some 3's, and were able to turn Jada & WV over more than any other team I've seen against WV this year.  Loretto also took away WV's 3 point shots.  Loretto was way off offensively and was able to keep it pretty close in a great environment for WV.  WV had a great gym and better fanbase.  Congrats!

Edited by mas1821
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mas1821 said:

Congrats to Gibson Co.  Refs let a lot go on both sides, about the most consistent crew I've seen this year.  Only one blatant bad call.

Differences in the game:

WV could score in the paint & Loretto could not.  Loretto tried to avoid blocked shots by Barr & altered driving shots instead of driving up into them to initiate contact.  Loretto had a TON of open 3's and consistently hesitated and passed instead of shooting.  Loretto lacked confidence and continued in their decline since January.  Karly was far from herself, but hit some big shots to keep WV from blowing it open.  Loretto was able to hit some 3's, and were able to turn Jada & WV over more than any other team I've seen against WV this year.  Loretto also took away WV's 3 point shots.  Loretto was way off offensively and was able to keep it pretty close in a great environment for WV.  WV had a great gym and better fanbase.  Congrats!

Shame that both aren’t going on, but I thought defense would shine tonight for whoever won it. We had more turnovers tonight, than we usually do but credit 90% of that to Loretto’s zone and length. I would’ve lost a lot as well of believing we could hold Loretto to 30 points. I heard that the Loretto Seniors finished their 4 years with a 90% win percentage for their careers. That’s a great program and great accomplishment. 

Edited by LetsGoBrandon
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

Big time game in a big time atmosphere tonight! Big win for Westview!

I'm curious if Miss Basketball was already determined prior to tonight's game or not...

Since Miss Basketball isn’t announced until Saturday on championship game, I think that was so the tournaments would count towards it and voting didn’t happen until later but I could be wrong

19 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

Big time game in a big time atmosphere tonight! Big win for Westview!

I'm curious if Miss Basketball was already determined prior to tonight's game or not...

Maybe so, but in all honesty…WV fans don’t really talk about it. I didn’t even know Jada was a candidate until they named the 3 finalists a few weeks back. 
On a totally unrelated topic, the 2 teams WV beat in Arizona on their trip out West at the Nike tourney won their respective 3A & 4A State Championships earlier in the week. Heard Haskins on the radio referencing those 2 teams we beat out there. 

Atmosphere was great and this is probably the most local teams this close geographically going to State in the same year. WV, GC, Dresden, Gleason, Mckenzie, Dyer County & South Side. I may be forgetting someone? All within about 50 miles of each other. Girl’s basketball is definitely strong in our area. 

17 minutes ago, sportslover88 said:

Since Miss Basketball isn’t announced until Saturday on championship game, I think that was so the tournaments would count towards it and voting didn’t happen until later but I could be wrong

11 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

Maybe so, but in all honesty…WV fans don’t really talk about it. I didn’t even know Jada was a candidate until they named the 3 finalists a few weeks back. 
On a totally unrelated topic, the 2 teams WV beat in Arizona on their trip out West at the Nike tourney won their respective 3A & 4A State Championships earlier in the week. Heard Haskins on the radio referencing those 2 teams we beat out there. 

Atmosphere was great and this is probably the most local teams this close geographically going to State in the same year. WV, GC, Dresden, Gleason, Mckenzie, Dyer County & South Side. I may be forgetting someone? All within about 50 miles of each other. Girl’s basketball is definitely strong in our area. 

Congratulations on a big win. I called Barr would have a say in it. Fisher getting hurt hurt them this summer. Loretto is a great team. You don’t beat Oakland by 40 and not be great. Tell’s you how great of a team y’all got. I wasn’t 100% sure y’all would win this one. Haskins is a great coach. Two great teams. Loretto I feel for y’all just like I do Summertown. Y’all are a great bunch of people. Just like Westview.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Congratulations on a big win. I called Barr would have a say in it. Fisher getting hurt hurt them this summer. Loretto is a great team. You don’t beat Oakland by 40 and not be great. Tell’s you how great of a team y’all got. I wasn’t 100% sure y’all would win this one. Haskins is a great coach. Two great teams. Loretto I feel for y’all just like I do Summertown. Y’all are a great bunch of people. Just like Westview.

WV knew Loretto was explosive and is a great team. Our zone frustrated them, and WV’s plan was to contest #22 and not give her outside space. Jada is still not a 100%, but she’s better than she was on Wednesday. I believe we only took 4 threes tonight which is probably a career low for WV under Haskins tenure, but the drive and dish was there. Neither team was burning threes tonight, and we both missed 5-6 free throws. The Refs called it pretty evenly with 3 or 4 obvious missed calls on both sides. Loretto got robbed on a run out play when a couple of our girls collided and Barr got taken down with a no call from the back, but overall..they let them play physical pretty much both ways. Glad GC won and let’s play one more time next Saturday, if we can get both there. 

Edited by LetsGoBrandon

1 hour ago, mas1821 said:

Congrats to Gibson Co.  Refs let a lot go on both sides, about the most consistent crew I've seen this year.  Only one blatant bad call.

Differences in the game:

Yeah Loretto had a great year. Watching the Summertown game their offense was definitely not the same offense I seen late in January. I didn’t see the screens set as often, the cuts and the ball movement just wasn’t the same. Y’all are a great bunch and will be back. I do think the grind of a schedule kinda wore you down a little at the wrong time. Did us too, but it happens to us a little earlier and we caught our second wind. Congrats on a great year. Ashley and Biff are really good people as well. Y’all will be back.

• Like 2