Westview vs Loretto

sportslover88

Copied from Kelli's (Karly & Ally's mom) facebook.

A little more perspective about last night’s loss….just so our players don’t have to field the painful “What happened?” question over and over.  

As coaches, we did our due diligence in scouting and formulating game plans for our last two games.  In the last month of our season, we were just missing some of the fire we had earlier.  Going into Wednesday’s Region Championship, we were trying to do some things to get our energy back.  While we did some good things as a team, we just didn’t do enough to get the win.  

I want to be transparent about Karly because I have had several people ask.  Karly overheated at halftime of Wednesday’s game.  (She has had this problem occasionally since breaking her nose her Sophomore year).  She was extremely sick and came back out pale as a ghost with no energy.  It was probably a mom fail because I shouldn’t have let her play in the second half.  Karly is a warrior though and has never failed to give her ALL for her team and Wednesday would be no exception.  She had probably not recovered by last night either and I’m kicking myself for not getting her fully rehydrated.  She wasn’t herself.  No one is more disappointed about that than her.  It breaks my heart that she couldn’t finish the way she wanted.  She would never make an excuse, but honestly, her body failed her and her mom failed her. 

Now, for the gameplan.  I am so proud of this team for executing our gameplan to perfection last night.  We went to Westview with the plan of taking the 3 point line away from them.  They average taking about 20 three point shots a game.  Every video we had watched of them said that they score mostly from the 3.  Last night, they shot 5 shots from the 3 and didn’t hit any of them.  Held to zero 3’s!!  We needed to limit their 2 leading scorers who averaged 16 points each.  One had 13 and the other 10  They had one player who would shoot from the logo…don’t let her do that.  She didn’t Rebound .  We have preached that offense wins games and defense wins championships…we did the defensive part last night…we just couldn’t generate the offense.  If you had told me that we would only give up 36 points last night, I would have felt good about our chances.  

This stings in so many ways.  No one knows how much time these girls have put into trying to achieve the dream of another State Championship.  They have spoiled us all into thinking that it’s just a given that we will make it to State.  If winning State was easy, everyone would be doing it!  

I share all of this to ask you to please encourage all of these girls and don’t ask “What happened?”  This Senior class will leave Loretto 112-15, a State Runner Up, a Final Four (Unfinished), a State Championship and a Final 16.  (172-17 in the past 7 years)  They all wanted and expected to win every time they took the floor.  No one is more disappointed than they are and it is definitely not the way they wanted it to end.  This team has honorably continued the Lady Mustang tradition and we should all be proud of them!!!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sportslover88 said:

No they are given the Saturday of the girls state championship for Miss Basketball and then the Mr Basketball are given the next Saturday at Boys state championship games

Ok

Well my daughter is a finalist and our awards ceremony is March 14th at  MTSU that is on a Monday at 5pm. The letter we got said ALL classifications would be given out then 

Maybe yours is different??? 

4 hours ago, mas1821 said:

A little more perspective about last night’s loss….just so our players don’t have to field the painful “What happened?” question over and over.  

As coaches, we did our due diligence in scouting and formulating game plans for our last two games.  In the last month of our season, we were just missing some of the fire we had earlier.  Going into Wednesday’s Region Championship, we were trying to do some things to get our energy back.  While we did some good things as a team, we just didn’t do enough to get the win.  

I want to be transparent about Karly because I have had several people ask.  Karly overheated at halftime of Wednesday’s game.  (She has had this problem occasionally since breaking her nose her Sophomore year).  She was extremely sick and came back out pale as a ghost with no energy.  It was probably a mom fail because I shouldn’t have let her play in the second half.  Karly is a warrior though and has never failed to give her ALL for her team and Wednesday would be no exception.  She had probably not recovered by last night either and I’m kicking myself for not getting her fully rehydrated.  She wasn’t herself.  No one is more disappointed about that than her.  It breaks my heart that she couldn’t finish the way she wanted.  She would never make an excuse, but honestly, her body failed her and her mom failed her. 

Now, for the gameplan.  I am so proud of this team for executing our gameplan to perfection last night.  We went to Westview with the plan of taking the 3 point line away from them.  They average taking about 20 three point shots a game.  Every video we had watched of them said that they score mostly from the 3.  Last night, they shot 5 shots from the 3 and didn’t hit any of them.  Held to zero 3’s!!  We needed to limit their 2 leading scorers who averaged 16 points each.  One had 13 and the other 10  They had one player who would shoot from the logo…don’t let her do that.  She didn’t Rebound .  We have preached that offense wins games and defense wins championships…we did the defensive part last night…we just couldn’t generate the offense.  If you had told me that we would only give up 36 points last night, I would have felt good about our chances.  

This stings in so many ways.  No one knows how much time these girls have put into trying to achieve the dream of another State Championship.  They have spoiled us all into thinking that it’s just a given that we will make it to State.  If winning State was easy, everyone would be doing it!  

I share all of this to ask you to please encourage all of these girls and don’t ask “What happened?”  This Senior class will leave Loretto 112-15, a State Runner Up, a Final Four (Unfinished), a State Championship and a Final 16.  (172-17 in the past 7 years)  They all wanted and expected to win every time they took the floor.  No one is more disappointed than they are and it is definitely not the way they wanted it to end.  This team has honorably continued the Lady Mustang tradition and we should all be proud of them!!!

We all remember the 2020 State Tournament where we all got sent home. First round Loretto and Oneida going at it. Second half Karly had to go to locker room for treatment for the same thing because of the broken nose. Overheated. Remember it like it was yesterday. Karly from a GC Fan I want to say Thank you for all you did out there on the court and what Loretto has done for HS basketball in the state. GC had one of the best teams I can remember in 1989 growing up as a GC Fan we were loaded with superior talent. About 2 weeks before Tournaments our All-State forward went down with a knee injury. We made it to state and won big first round. Our leading scorer had 28 points and didn’t get to play Day 2. Well we lost in the semis after losing the two star players on a buzzer beater by a Vandy signee who also went on to win the State Championship. One of the best GC teams ever assembled got upset and it still haunts me. Not a day goes by I get ready to go to a game I don’t think about that. Life does keep going and prayers are for you and Loretto and Summertown. Both of y’all are class acts.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

We all remember the 2020 State Tournament where we all got sent home. First round Loretto and Oneida going at it. Second half Karly had to go to locker room for treatment for the same thing because of the broken nose. Overheated. Remember it like it was yesterday. Karly from a GC Fan I want to say Thank you for all you did out there on the court and what Loretto has done for HS basketball in the state. GC had one of the best teams I can remember in 1989 growing up as a GC Fan we were loaded with superior talent. About 2 weeks before Tournaments our All-State forward went down with a knee injury. We made it to state and won big first round. Our leading scorer had 28 points and didn’t get to play Day 2. Well we lost in the semis after losing the two star players on a buzzer beater by a Vandy signee who also went on to win the State Championship. One of the best GC teams ever assembled got upset and it still haunts me. Not a day goes by I get ready to go to a game I don’t think about that. Life does keep going and prayers are for you and Loretto and Summertown. Both of y’all are class acts.  

Well said my friend.  Good luck to you and your team moving forward.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mas1821 said:

What a powerful post!

16 hours ago, Audreyhawk20 said:

Ok

Well my daughter is a finalist and our awards ceremony is March 14th at  MTSU that is on a Monday at 5pm. The letter we got said ALL classifications would be given out then 

Maybe yours is different??? 

Apologies....it is on Monday! I was thinking the 14th was that next Saturday of boys championship games.

4 hours ago, sportslover88 said:

Apologies....it is on Monday! I was thinking the 14th was that next Saturday of boys championship games.

Oh no need to apologize.  I got to thinking maybe private division was different than public then when I looked at the letter we received I noticed it said ALL Classifications 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 8:25 PM, mas1821 said:

Very well said. I am always impressed when I meet players families knowing that they seldom, if ever, miss a game. 

In the words of a good coach, "Brush it off."

Carpe Diem.