AA State Tournament Matchups

westtn12

23 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I appreciate it man. You know I am not a ref basher but I call it like it is. York is a good team and played good but this one one will sting a while. When a man from the TSSAA legislative council says it’s BS, it’s BS. One of their own just said GC got screwed big time.

What happened with the T ?  Why was it called in your opinion?

2 minutes ago, King21 said:

My brother, I am sure more games this year have been called awful in the state than the ones that have been called average at best. It sucks that it's on that stage and at that time. Accountability is needed and it isn't coming. 

1 minute ago, Jaychapman said:

GC has had 2 tough losses in 24 hrs ( boys & girls ) feel for them but as they say it is what it is don’t know what rec league the ref come from as one of my buds said don’t know if they refed before or if they even seen a game before 

I just talked to Childress. He knows what we got screwed. He was very respectful. 

Just now, gogold said:

Madison got hacked and the bench just said foul. He called the foul. Then he went to the bench and called the tech. Problem was the previous four possessions were worse than that and we had no call and touches on the other end. 

Just now, pioneer42 said:

Madison got hacked and the bench just said foul. He called the foul. Then he went to the bench and called the tech. Problem was the previous four possessions were worse than that and we had no call and touches on the other end. 

I know at Westview we tied the game in the 3rd and had a breakaway layup an refs stopped play.  Coach Rutledge asked why and he said "safety".  There we girls that played a fell all game where was the safety and stoppage of the game then.  The other problem was that know one left the floor.  Nobody was injured !   Refs got to get better, especially in these big games.

8 minutes ago, gogold said:

4 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

And if this is true, then this is the problem with High School officiating across the board. No official should call a Technical foul in a state tournament game with 2 minutes to go, and the margin is within 5.  If @pioneer02 said is true, which is likely because I know that person is honest, then that shouldn't be a technical foul in Middle school basketball.

1 minute ago, gogold said:

I know at Westview we tied the game in the 3rd and had a breakaway layup an refs stopped play.  Coach Rutledge asked why and he said "safety".  There we girls that played a fell all game where was the safety and stoppage of the game then.  The other problem was that know one left the floor.  Nobody was injured !   Refs got to get better, especially in these big games.

I agree 110%. I seen the call. It was a terrible call.

10 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

And if this is true, then this is the problem with High School officiating across the board. No official should call a Technical foul in a state tournament game with 2 minutes to go, and the margin is within 5.  If @pioneer02 said is true, which is likely because I know that person is honest, then that shouldn't be a technical foul in Middle school basketball.

What happend is York made a shot and had a little momentum and he rode the York momentum and nothing was going to stop it, not even fouls on the other end or a ball that hits the ref out of bounds. GC ball when ball hits a ref out of bounds. Not late in the 4th today. Would have messed the plan up. 

Edited by pioneer42

3 minutes ago, gogold said:

Officials won't get better until the state guys leave office. 

If we have good officials, then they're doing the job right. They're staying in shape, reading the game, talking to the players during the deal-ball situations to understand mistakes. It's rare, but I want what's best for the players. They have the luxury to call a tech in basketball, and throw a flag in football. Sometimes, it's too much of a luxury where they can abuse that power in situations where they don't need to. With conference tournaments and March Madness going on at the collegiate level, let me know if you see a coach gets a technical foul with 2 minutes to go and a margin within 5. I'm sorry for Gibson County. It's an amazing school, amazing tradition, and community that loves and respects their players. 

1 minute ago, pioneer42 said:

What happend is York made a shot and had a little momentum and he rode the York momentum and nothing was going to stop, not even fouls on the other end or a ball that hits the ref out of bounds. GC ball when ball hits a ref out of bounds. Not late in the 4th today. Would have messed the plan up. 

I can tell officials like the momentum, and will favor a call that supports the team that has the momentum. Sometimes, a loud and cheering crowd can get yourself a call here and there.  I was listening to the game on the radio while I was working. Just seems like the game was going into York's favor, and the officiating crew will continuously making calls going into York's favor.

7 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Officials won't get better until the state guys leave office. 

If we have good officials, then they're doing the job right. They're staying in shape, reading the game, talking to the players during the deal-ball situations to understand mistakes. It's rare, but I want what's best for the players. They have the luxury to call a tech in basketball, and throw a flag in football. Sometimes, it's too much of a luxury where they can abuse that power in situations where they don't need to. With conference tournaments and March Madness going on at the collegiate level, let me know if you see a coach gets a technical foul with 2 minutes to go and a margin within 5. I'm sorry for Gibson County. It's an amazing school, amazing tradition, and community that loves and respects their players. 

Appreciate it. Just a bad deal all the way around. And I am a good sport about getting beat. Ref took away a great game and a finish that likely goes to the buzzer. Ought to Jane been tied with 2 minutes left and let the players decide it. Honestly I am just still in total shock about it. Unreal.

5 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

Westmoreland struggled from FT and their top scorer had her worst game of the year.  Tough loss to one of the best AA teams from the regular season.

Great win, Alcoa!  Congrats!

Looks like might be all East Tn teams if Westy didn’t hold up and who would’ve thought that