Anderson County Mavericks 2022

olhickory

Have not had a chance to really see Mavs play. But they certainly will need a defense. We have a new Defensive coach. Hopefully the staff has figured out what the defense needs to make the difference. We had a good QB line rush last year but we got smashed once the ball left the QB hands. Hate to go through this all over again. 

Been busy making the dough, friends.  Let me first say, the West Rebels are for real.  I still think it was a very good scrimmage, but the Rebels got the best of the Mavs.  FIrst drive started with 3 completions right down the field, and then we ran the ball and got stopped on a a ten play drive.  A pick 6 put the Rebels up 7-0.   The Mavs went on Defense and did a pretty good job against the run and the pass, but missed a tackle and the West Rec made them pay.  That was the deal all night. The defense missed a tackle each drive, and the West player is gone.  That is correctable. It was a fun scrimmage with a lot of big plays.  The Mavs lone TD with the 1's came on a long pass to Zeke West. West wins 28-7.  Kicking game looked very good.  Radcliff bombed the kickoffs out of the endzone.  He also punted a very high and deep punt to back West up.   Young Mavs got in the fourth series of the scrimmage and LaRue, just like his daddy used to, out ran the defense for a long score.  Cody Miller did a great job running the offense, and a freshman named Pyatt had over 150 yards on 2 catches for 2 tds for the Mavs.  He is electric with the ball so that was very good to see.  I think this team will respond well to the scrimmage and I will look forward to watching all the teams tomorrow night at the Jamboree at Carson Newman.  Mavs are a little over a week away. I know the fans are super excited to get this season kicked off.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, olhickory said:

Been busy making the dough, friends.  Let me first say, the West Rebels are for real.  I still think it was a very good scrimmage, but the Rebels got the best of the Mavs.  FIrst drive started with 3 completions right down the field, and then we ran the ball and got stopped on a a ten play drive.  A pick 6 put the Rebels up 7-0.   The Mavs went on Defense and did a pretty good job against the run and the pass, but missed a tackle and the West Rec made them pay.  That was the deal all night. The defense missed a tackle each drive, and the West player is gone.  That is correctable. It was a fun scrimmage with a lot of big plays.  The Mavs lone TD with the 1's came on a long pass to Zeke West. West wins 28-7.  Kicking game looked very good.  Radcliff bombed the kickoffs out of the endzone.  He also punted a very high and deep punt to back West up.   Young Mavs got in the fourth series of the scrimmage and LaRue, just like his daddy used to, out ran the defense for a long score.  Cody Miller did a great job running the offense, and a freshman named Pyatt had over 150 yards on 2 catches for 2 tds for the Mavs.  He is electric with the ball so that was very good to see.  I think this team will respond well to the scrimmage and I will look forward to watching all the teams tomorrow night at the Jamboree at Carson Newman.  Mavs are a little over a week away. I know the fans are super excited to get this season kicked off.  

Thank you olhickory, a good straight arrow and insightful read.

Edited by noonesfool

2 hours ago, olhickory said:

Good update OlHickory. Better to know your mistakes now rather than later. Mavs need to get down to business. Scoring was rare but I think I see what's up. Defense sounds like they are working on it. West teams in past few years are usually one of the best defenses in East Tennessee that I know of. West offense usually were not as explosive. Mavs Kicking game sounds like the best. I think the Mavs will be ready come August 19. This was a good wake up call for the players and a good taste at what happens when you let your guard down. They probably needed this with all the bragging. Lol or my bragging.

4 hours ago, Mavericksinflight said:

Good update OlHickory. Better to know your mistakes now rather than later. Mavs need to get down to business. Scoring was rare but I think I see what's up. Defense sounds like they are working on it. West teams in past few years are usually one of the best defenses in East Tennessee that I know of. West offense usually were not as explosive. Mavs Kicking game sounds like the best. I think the Mavs will be ready come August 19. This was a good wake up call for the players and a good taste at what happens when you let your guard down. They probably needed this with all the bragging. Lol or my bragging.

AC will be hard to shut down on offense. AC's best WR and RB didn't play the other day against West. 

Defense and conditioning would be at the top of my list for AC to work on if I were on the coaching staff. The reason I say conditioning is because they had Powell beat last year, but got tired and ran out of gas from the way it looked to me anyway. 

Didn't AC hire that former coach from Oneida? If they did, I'm sure their defense will only get better.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, 92Dragon said:

AC will be hard to shut down on offense. AC's best WR and RB didn't play the other day against West. 

Defense and conditioning would be at the top of my list for AC to work on if I were on the coaching staff. The reason I say conditioning is because they had Powell beat last year, but got tired and ran out of gas from the way it looked to me anyway. 

Didn't AC hire that former coach from Oneida? If they did, I'm sure their defense will only get better.

Yeah hired D coach. I hope AC was testing the field with West because from what I always seen West has one the best Defense. If not mistaken should have had Powell in a game last year. So at least test shows where we are at. You are absolutely right AC for a few years always ran out of gas. Going both ways is tuff but with a new D coach hopefully this will make the difference this year. The D coach prayerfully will be ready for a big challenge with Powell. But a lot of work to do after West Game. 

Edited by Mavericksinflight
Missed word

2 hours ago, Mavericksinflight said:

Yeah hired D coach. I hope AC was testing the field with West because from what I always seen West has one the best Defense. If not mistaken should have had Powell in a game last year. So at least test shows where we are at. You are absolutely right AC for a few years always ran out of gas. Going both ways is tuff but with a new D coach hopefully this will make the difference this year. The D coach prayerfully will be ready for a big challenge with Powell. But a lot of work to do after West Game. 

Definitely mistaken West wasn't close in their game last year in the Semi's against Powell.  Final Score was 35-7 and it was 28-0 at half until the 4th quarter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Swipes said:

Definitely mistaken West wasn't close in their game last year in the Semi's against Powell.  Final Score was 35-7 and it was 28-0 at half until the 4th quarter.

In a previous life, probably in the 1920s through the 1930’s, Swipes deflated little kid’s balloons at the circus for a living.

Edited by noonesfool
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

In a previous life, probably in the 1920s through the 1930’s, Swipes deflated little kid’s balloons at the circus for a living.

You know I like busting Mavsinflight chops coach :lol:.  It's not hard to look up box scores, highlights, stats, etc nowadays.

• Upvote 1