2022 2A Region 5 Football

cascadehomer

1 hour ago, ddaddy said:

Loretto definitely played uninspired football in their loss to WC. Porter has to be the best RB in the region. WC deserves respect for taking care of business. Coach Crews had a great game plan to beat a faster Loretto team. 

maybe the lions club can sponsor some classes with Coach Eli and Coach Crews. 

What did Crews do specifically @ddaddy

22 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

maybe the lions club can sponsor some classes with Coach Eli and Coach Crews. 

What did Crews do specifically @ddaddy

Let me start by saying that I felt Wayne county was out matched talent wise. On defense they crowded the LOS to minimize  Porter’s long runs and played soft coverage in the secondary forcing underneath passes. This resulted in two interceptions, the last  one sealing the victory.  It seemed obvious that WC plan was to keep Loretto’s offense off the field with a grind it out approach. You could see this in the second half when Loretto would have a three technique on the weak side WC would run through A gap to that side. They would have a 1or 2 technique on the strong side allowing them to run through B  gap on that side. All quick hitters that forced the LBer to make a one on one tackle that resulted in a 4 or 5 yd gain. Just my take on a small part of the game plan.

14 hours ago, LorettoGuy said:

That’s a Loretto loss. Wayne county 33 Loretto 23

Thanks for posting. Now where are all the other Loretto guys who like to talk football immediately after a game? 

5 hours ago, cascadehomer said:

So the Loretto/Forrest game was simply two bad football teams?

I'll be able to answer that tonight about 9:30. But right now probably.

2 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

dont project your cascade mediocrity on the rest of the region. 

too late. it must be contagious.

2 hours ago, ddaddy said:

Let me start by saying that I felt Wayne county was out matched talent wise. On defense they crowded the LOS to minimize  Porter’s long runs and played soft coverage in the secondary forcing underneath passes. This resulted in two interceptions, the last  one sealing the victory.  

That's the same game I just watched. One difference in Loretto's offense between Forrest and Wayne Co was the official crew. When Loretto busted a long outside run against both teams there was blatant grabbing of the defensive end and defensive back on that side. It wasn't called a single time last Friday and was called every time last night. Loretto had several long runs called back. Huge difference in a game when a 55 yard TD run becomes 2nd and 22 from the other 40 and your RB is gassed. 

Porter was amazing again but the coaches went away from him too fast in the 2nd half and the QB and receivers couldn't get it done. Loretto fumbled on 1st and goal and had a TD pass go thru the receivers hand and was intercepted in the endzone. A perfect onside kick was botched by Loretto as well. At least 2 TDs were called back for holding calls. 

2 hours ago, ddaddy said:

It seemed obvious that WC plan was to keep Loretto’s offense off the field with a grind it out approach. You could see this in the second half when Loretto would have a three technique on the weak side WC would run through A gap to that side. They would have a 1or 2 technique on the strong side allowing them to run through B  gap on that side. All quick hitters that forced the LBer to make a one on one tackle that resulted in a 4 or 5 yd gain. Just my take on a small part of the game plan.

It was a simple yet effective game plan. They ran many of the same formations as Forrest but they base blocked and ran right at the defense. Forrest pulled lineman and tried to run wide and run traps against a quick slanting defense that ran us down from behind many times. They also utilized their running QB; Forrest did not.  Good win for Wayne but a bad loss for our region.