NIL Millionaires walking the halls of high schools..

BarneySox2007

NIL is different state to state as state legislatures have gotten in to the act.  

As I understand it, high school athletes in Tennessee can't receive NIL money and still be eligible to play sports in Tennessee high schools.  Other states, California being one of them, can.  And from what I am told that is why a recent QB commitment from California is not moving to West Knoxville to play his senior year of high school football as was originally planned, but is staying in California and transferring to another high school there.  He can go ahead and begin getting NIL money in California, where he can't in Tennessee.  

I don't have any issue with the basics of NIL.  It does, however, need to be standardized across the board by all of the schools instead of different schools having different rules based on state laws.  The playing field needs to be leveled.  

Another issue is that too many people have their hands out looking for a piece of the pie.  

Case in point, the Speyer Group, who is "working with" potential UT athletes, by their own admission, are taking 10% of all monies they get to put deals together off the top.  To put that in perspective, the NFL only allows 3% for agent fees, and the NBA 4%.  And because Speyre is a for profit company the "donations" they are soliciting from Joe and Jane Vol Fan are not tax deductible, but they aren't giving that info out front.  

What I see happening is NIL forcing the "super division" of 50-60 schools in football, the upper 2/3 of the power 5 and a few others - to finally be formed.  The lower levels of the power 5 and the mid majors just don't have the financial ability to play the NIL game.  

The power basketball programs seem to be doing a decent job of putting NIL deals together, but they aren't the $8 million type deals, so we'll still see early entrants to the NBA on a regular basis.  And surprisingly, I am being told that some baseball programs, UT included, are coming up with enough NIL deals to help the players and their families make up for what scholarships don't cover.  

But all of that said, NILs are taxable income, so whatever number you hear has 30% taken off the top for Uncle Sam to waste.  The schools that have been funneling money under the table to signees and their current athletes aren't going to stop doing that.  It's pretty naive to believe that they will.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

One negative aspect is that the high school head coaches will be swarmed with more agent dad's as of what we have isn't enough. 

Yep.  As I have opined before, helicopter parents are only hurting their on kids when all is said and done. 

Good topic Barn. I was against NIL at first, but then realized my disagreement was likely just jealousy. I do think it is coming for high schools. Great athletes have always been treated better or special. As more and more money is being generated by the bigger programs in whatever sport, the players are gonna end up with some of it. And maybe they should? Plus if Nike wants to gamble some to get some 18 yr olds name on the dotted line, then why not?

9 hours ago, strongx said:

Good topic Barn. I was against NIL at first, but then realized my disagreement was likely just jealousy. I do think it is coming for high schools. Great athletes have always been treated better or special. As more and more money is being generated by the bigger programs in whatever sport, the players are gonna end up with some of it. And maybe they should? Plus if Nike wants to gamble some to get some 18 yr olds name on the dotted line, then why not?

When I see a man at a college or pro football game running around with a football jersey with another man's name across his back reminds me of a very small minded individual or a total out and out jock sniffer. I'm a grown man and I don't look up to kids so with all that said the one's that do should lose their Man Card. Only exception is family member's. When grown adults start seeing high school kids at the local high schools with NIL future contracts in the hundreds of thousands while their struggling to make ends meet will be when the bubble pops. Personally I think college football has opened the Pandora's Box that can't ever be shut again and has dug itself a hole it will never get out of. I'll just set back in my easy chair and watch it all unfold  just like I'm telling you all. Why go to a college football game and watch a bunch of grown men with third grade educations that have someway found their way into college as Basket Weaving majors act like monkey's that have been let out of a cage for lord knows how much it cost now when you can go to the local zoo and see the same show for a fraction of the cost.

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

When I see a man at a college or pro football game running around with a football jersey with another man's name across his back reminds me of a very small minded individual or a total out and out jock sniffer. I'm a grown man and I don't look up to kids so with all that said the one's that do should lose their Man Card. Only exception is family member's. When grown adults start seeing high school kids at the local high schools with NIL future contracts in the hundreds of thousands while their struggling to make ends meet will be when the bubble pops. Personally I think college football has opened the Pandora's Box that can't ever be shut again and has dug itself a hole it will never get out of. I'll just set back in my easy chair and watch it all unfold  just like I'm telling you all. Why go to a college football game and watch a bunch of grown men with third grade educations that have someway found their way into college as Basket Weaving majors act like monkey's that have been let out of a cage for lord knows how much it cost now when you can go to the local zoo and see the same show for a fraction of the cost.

I don’t disagree with you at all, but it’s coming. Maybe somehow it helps high school sports. If there are 5 or 15 kids who can now play instead of having to work in order to pay for their car, then it might benefit some teams?

That sounds crazy to me too! But that’s what happens when adults start profiting from the players. I doubt the coaches you and I had were padding their pockets very much from coaching, but that has changed.

3 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

In what way do 18-22 year kids playing college sports resemble monkeys being let out of a cage?

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I think you jumped the shark on this post...maybe a little too far.

1 hour ago, MLREB said:

I know a coach or two that will be moving on to a different career if it makes it to the high school level. High schools don't pay enough to add this drama to the current job description. 

Spot on. I know a lot of fans that will be watching their favorite TV show on Friday Night as well if it moves to high school.