NIL Millionaires walking the halls of high schools..

BarneySox2007

I may be old but committing to pay a kid that is right now a junior in high school 8 million dollars when they walk on the field the first day in college broken down over three years is a little to much for me to deal with. Will this ruin high school football or bring more people out to see these boy wonders. I do know it will do a world of damage to college football. No doubt most college teams have been cheating for years but now it's legal and now I find myself going to pull away from it like I have the NFL these past few years. I personally see this as a violation of your amateur status as a high school player and should be banned by the TSSAA from playing. If not this cancer will eventually work it's way right into the high school level next.

man, you complain about a lot.  we know you hate NIL, the transfer portal, kids these days and the forward pass.  : )  messing with you.  similarly, I have gone from preferring pro (roger staubach cowboys) to college (UT in the 90's) to high school.  I think it's just the natural progression for me because I like the more amateur nature of the game but let's be honest, there is nothing amateur about college.  even the olympics gave that up years ago.  it's an antiquated idea that only benefits the NCAA, the super rich coaches and the universities.  it sure doesn't benefit the kids who have more than a full time job on top of school.  it's not the kids fault, it's ours.  we made this about money (consumers) and we shouldn't be surprised when the kids get tired of being taken advantage of.  college athletes will get paid at some point as they should.  

kids have a lot of challenges these days.  I don't envy them growing up with social media watching everything little thing they do.  I think that kid getting paid is the least of his worries.  if he has good folks around him, good family, good friends who remind him his pants go on just like everyone else, he will be just fine.  look at the mannings.  they were probably a good, early example of high level recruiting and they turned out just fine.  

interesting subject though.  thanks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

man, you complain about a lot.  we know you hate NIL, the transfer portal, kids these days and the forward pass.  : )  messing with you.  similarly, I have gone from preferring pro (roger staubach cowboys) to college (UT in the 90's) to high school.  I think it's just the natural progression for me because I like the more amateur nature of the game but let's be honest, there is nothing amateur about college.  even the olympics gave that up years ago.  it's an antiquated idea that only benefits the NCAA, the super rich coaches and the universities.  it sure doesn't benefit the kids who have more than a full time job on top of school.  it's not the kids fault, it's ours.  we made this about money (consumers) and we shouldn't be surprised when the kids get tired of being taken advantage of.  college athletes will get paid at some point as they should.  

kids have a lot of challenges these days.  I don't envy them growing up with social media watching everything little thing they do.  I think that kid getting paid is the least of his worries.  if he has good folks around him, good family, good friends who remind him his pants go on just like everyone else, he will be just fine.  look at the mannings.  they were probably a good, early example of high level recruiting and they turned out just fine.  

interesting subject though.  thanks.

Not a complaint but my view of what is going to destroy the game right in front of your eyes. Somebody will be paying the bill for this and right now with inflation out of control I know what is going to happen to college football when choices have to be made at home. I just want to hear everyone's feedback about this situation and where will it lead to. Thanks for your comment and getting the ball rolling.

I don’t understand how college athletes being paid is going to ruin football? Like you said, they’ve been getting paid for years anyways. Did Erik Dickerson ruin college football when he took all that money to go to SMU? Plus, why shouldn’t kids be able to take money someone is willing to pay them?  Everyone is all about free market and capitalism until it comes to young athletes getting paid. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Futbolfan2022 said:

I don’t understand how college athletes being paid is going to ruin football? Like you said, they’ve been getting paid for years anyways. Did Erik Dickerson ruin college football when he took all that money to go to SMU? Plus, why shouldn’t kids be able to take money someone is willing to pay them?  Everyone is all about free market and capitalism until it comes to young athletes getting paid. 

Pros need to start their own minor league system just like baseball. What will happen is only teams with money will be able to compete.

The last game I ever attended at UT was when Tyler Robinson played for Kentucky and have not been back since and never plan on ever going again especially now. My company gets all kinds of free tickets to almost any game I want to see and I give them out to my customers and most of the time I have to call a dozen before finding anyone who will even go anymore. There are a percentage of people that feel the way I do about paying college kids that kind of money and will do the same as me and walk off. Don't believe me just watch. Colleges know that and so dose UT, that's why they gave up seats to build a large pavilion to suck the money out of all the Otis Campbell's pockets while they put down those $13 Tall Boy's or the fat hogs that need a big seat to set in they replaced down near the field to wolf down all those ten dollars hot dogs because they can't fill the place up anymore. Why can't they fill the place up anymore,  because people like me are tired of it.

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Not a complaint but my view of what is going to destroy the game right in front of your eyes. Somebody will be paying the bill for this and right now with inflation out of control I know what is going to happen to college football when choices have to be made at home. I just want to hear everyone's feedback about this situation and where will it lead to. Thanks for your comment and getting the ball rolling.

yeah man, great topic.  I guess I think it's not destroyed, just changed.  for the better in some ways, worse in others but I love games when people play for the love of the game and that has been pushed down over time.  maybe you and I will be on a pop warner message board at some point in the future.  : )

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I may be old but committing to pay a kid that is right now a junior in high school 8 million dollars when they walk on the field the first day in college broken down over three years is a little to much for me to deal with. Will this ruin high school football or bring more people out to see these boy wonders. I do know it will do a world of damage to college football. No doubt most college teams have been cheating for years but now it's legal and now I find myself going to pull away from it like I have the NFL these past few years. I personally see this as a violation of your amateur status as a high school player and should be banned by the TSSAA from playing. If not this cancer will eventually work it's way right into the high school level next.

How do you suggest that the TSSAA police these kids taking NIL money.  How would the TSSAA find out that a student/athlete received NIL monies and even if they suspected this action where would the money come from to investigate and prosecute the case.  It sounds like a few of the elite kids may have more money in the bank than the TSSAA.

On another note I do feel your frustration but I see no way that the TSSAA has the resources to police this action.  They have a difficult time determining if a kid transfers from one school to another and if it's a legal transfer.  

Personally, I have no issue with players receiving money.  All will not sign million dollar contracts.  But it will allow for a student to get paid for an autograph that was previously a violation.  I have no issue with these cases which will be more of the norm in my opinion.  Jimbo Fisher gave an interview a month or two about this subject where he stated that the big schools had been funneling $$ to kids anyway, they don't have to hide anymore with the ruling.

I can also see game attendance going up in high school.  People may want to pay to see "the next big thing" playing at a school nearby.

Great topic and feedback!

39 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

The last game I ever attended at UT was when Tyler Robinson played for Kentucky and have not been back since and never plan on ever going again especially now. My company gets all kinds of free tickets to almost any game I want to see and I give them out to my customers and most of the time I have to call a dozen before finding anyone who will even go anymore. There are a percentage of people that feel the way I do about paying college kids that kind of money and will do the same as me and walk off. Don't believe me just watch. Colleges know that and so dose UT, that's why they gave up seats to build a large pavilion to suck the money out of all the Otis Campbell's pockets while they put down those $13 Tall Boy's or the fat hogs that need a big seat to set in they replaced down near the field to wolf down all those ten dollars hot dogs because they can't fill the place up anymore. Why can't they fill the place up anymore,  because people like me are tired of it.

Since I was a customer at one time and will be again if I need your type of service......call me with all those hard to get rid of tickets. I have a slew of grandkids that I would like to take to the games. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MLREB said:

Since I was a customer at one time and will be again if I need your type of service......call me with all those hard to get rid of tickets. I have a slew of grandkids that I would like to take to the games. 

It slowed down some last year because one of the companies ( Superior)  that I could always count on giving me tickets got bought out by a larger company (SRS) that didn't do the same thing. The other one which is Home Depot would send me tickets and guess when they would get here, on Saturday and my mail runs around 5 p.m. Last year they sent Ole Miss tickets and they arrived Tuesday after the game. The only down side I have with the Home Depot tickets was that they were in a group way down low in the endzone so the cameras would pick up their signs I'm sure. The first time they ever sent me tickets must of been 16-17 years ago and I thought it was a bill and by luck I opened it up instead of throwing it in the bin for my book keeper and it was Alabama tickets and that was two hours before kickoff when I did. I get in the truck and headed that way and got caught at the light at the hospital and a couple of older people were waving me down and I opened the window and they had tickets also but couldn't go and wanted somebody to use them as to go to waste. There I am by myself going to the Alabama game with their free tickets and the one's Home Depot sent. I gave those tickets away to the first people I saw that were trying to find any so I made their day as well.