Any news on how the TSSAA vote went today?

Pirate2003

I appreciate your attempt to have someone on this board define what constitutes a "public school supporter". I just signed a slew of property tax checks, a substantial portion of which will go to support public education. I believe, even with the demonstrable lack of educational results, Tennessee public school deserve more of our resources. When my children attended public schools, my wife and I were PTA presidents.

To infer that because one is against a complete public/private split means you don't support public schools is incorrect. However, the vote by the majority of TSSAA reps creates segregation within athletics, not in a racial sense but by class. The net effect of a complete public/private split is to allienate a portion of the state's population which has a disproportionate influence on funding public education.

The children and grandchildren of state legislators and senators are disproportianately sent to private schools. Our elected officials regularly treat public education as the state's whipping boy.

Further allienating an important constituency of public schools just to win several cheapened trophies seems pretty short sighted to me.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic