Any news on how the TSSAA vote went today?

Pirate2003

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by pujo:

I guess if its a problem,they need to take a vote on it. It seems like you are the one who is most alarmed about this situation.

It seems that you are saying that having a larger area is an unfair advantage. I`m just exposing where it exists. I just find it very hypocritical for some to say it only exists with private schools. The vote taken by the coaches was an absolute joke. It only showed what i`ve been saying all along. This has nothing to do with "fairness", it is just a vendetta against private schools.

What you are saying is this, if we can't make it perfect. There is no need to deal with any of it. I'm sure we have some other flaws. Those other flaws are not what THIS issue is all about. This concern was big enough to have a vote of all the schools in Tennessee. Why try to dodge the issue and try to turn this into something else.This system is absolutely UNFAIR .I'd like an honest answer from you, do you want things to be fair, and if you do. Do you think this is it?

Her`s an honest answer...If you truly believe that having a larger area to get kids from is an unfair advantage then it should be applied to all schools. If we are going to address this issue then let`s do it ok? But`s let`s not just pick and choose the schools we want to apply it to. I can give you my argument about Northside and Maryville and the one about Adamsville and Tyner and the truth of the matter is that you know I`m right! You have brought up many , many times about wanting a level playing field. But you don`t seem to take a very strong stand about dealing with public schools that have open zones.

The one thing about the vote that stinks is that it has nothing whatsoever to do with fairness. Anyone who says that it`s about making things fair and does not support looking at public schools as well is a hypocrite!!! There is just no other way to describe it. If you were honest you`d admit that these people are hypocrites as well.

I`ve gotten into this issue less than a year ago and at the time had never heard of any complaints. What I have found is a bunch of people who are afraid to play private schools and are trying to railroad them out. They have no interest whatsoever in trying to find a solution that works with both p/p still competing with each other. I have offered several solutions. You on the other hand are still stuck on the split. Why don`t you propose a middle ground solution and let`s discuss it. Otherwise I`m getting tired of responding to someone who wants to remain hypocrital.

What would you do pujo (hypothetical)if the split occurs and a team like Tyner should be one of the ones that will be moved back to 1A and they reeled off 4 or 5 1A championships? Do you not see that they have the same advantage as private schools? Will we have to go through this whole mess again? Why not do as I suggested...

1. Identify the problem

2. Find a solution

3. Apply the solution to all schools.

If the larger zones are the problem then let`s deal with it. The issue with open zones will not go away. Don`t be surprised to see more schools move to an open type zone system. Schools will always be looking to improve education. Giving kids more choices in which school they feel they can benefit the most will be a concept that will only increase. There will be more magnet schools that will also crop up in the future. as this seems to be another concept that school systems are using to provide more choice and opprtunity for kids.

I look forward to hear what type of middle ground solution that you come up with that will be fair.

1. Identify problem: Enrollments as a basis for classification.

2. Find a solution: Consider what is the best possible situation for the student-athlete. (travel-equal as possible competition-best possible enviroment for the student-athlete public and private) Money not considered in decisions. Re-structure the TSSAA where it can act for the student-athlete not for the good ol-buddy system.

3. The Re-structured TSSAA then could apply the rules fairly for the student-athlete public and private to support their needs.

:(:D:(

Firt of all, open zones are not the only advantages the private schools have. Second, I don't oppose a middle ground, but at the same time, we are all weary of a multuplier because Brentwood Acadamy has shown us the capabilities of a private school. Third, I don't like your merit system because you are penalizing very small schools like ours. Our only advantage is hard work and discipline, and a strong desire to be the best we can be. You don't penalize small schools like ours who win with no advantages. This would be a true state champion in their division. The one who takes the kids that God gave them in their little community and winning. The other advantages that the private schools have can't be applied to the magnet schools and open zone schools. You use Tyner as an example, look at the size of Tyner, I think it's around 570, and they got destroyed by a much smaller Lipscomb school. Privates have advantages over them as well, with a harder work epic, and more money. The work epic in private schools is forced by parents and coaches, and no public school can achieve this. There is just too much diversity among the children and families to get them all to come together, where as the private schools are much more homogenous. Most all of the people on here wants things in their favor, and the split would definitely favor us, but there would be absolutely no advantages in our favor. I want fairness for everyone, and maybe something should be done, and if it ever gets to be as big a problem as this, I am sure something will be done.

[Edited by pujo on 12-7-02 12:14P]