Any news on how the TSSAA vote went today?

Pirate2003

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt any of them have children in private schools! All of these people work for public schools and I think they are just wanting to make the RIGHT decision instead of just doing this without a lot of input and thought. The vote of the schools shows the "will of the school administrators" but it will not be the only input the Board will use to make the decision. They want to have a full plan of action ready to go when the final decision comes and I don't think they are at that point just now. I think they will have a final vote on the matter at their next meeting because the pressure from the schools who voted for the measure will be too much to ignore!

You guys are still taking this "state actor" term too far. The only reference to the "state actor" is in reference to "freedom of speech." If the membership votes to subdivide into 100 classifications there is no breech of freedom of speech. In fact, it is the most pro-democratic thing that the TSSAA has ever done! Can the private schools sue... sure any member can sue if they want to... will they win, probably not. BA hasn't won their lawsuit yet and the Supreme Court ruling doesn't mean that BA has won anything.

IF BA wins, the TSSAA can do one of two things, pay the amount of the settlement, OR file for bankruptcy and sell off the assets of the organization. That would allow everyone (public and private) to form their own organizations. In fact, the paperwork has probably already been prepared in the eventuality of that event. No liability for the BA lawsuit can be passed down to the individual members because of the tax structure of the organization. The TSSAA has liability policies and even though it would be a setback for high school athletics, we will continue with high school athletics in Tennessee even after the eventual split OR demise of the TSSAA.

SEVERAL OTHER STATES HAVE SEPARATE DIVISION FOR PUBLIC AND PRIVATE TEAMS so what is the harm in this matter? I don't want this to turn into a public-private debate, but I just don't see how this vote can be considered anything other than highly democratic in nature. This is a private organization and now one is being discriminated based upon their race, religion, sex, or ethnic origin... therefore there is no harm or foul. Private schools are not state supported therefore the state has no right to regulate them! In fact, if the "state actor" term is taken to it's fullest extent, this action should support the Supreme Court decision. Private schools can't be controlled by the state of Tennessee if the state doesn't have the right to govern over their affairs like they do public schools.

1. "State actor" applies to more than just freedom of speach.

2. Every court that has ruled on the BA case has said that the TSSAA is a state actor, and it is.

3. The majority does not always rule. You'll remember what we in the white majority did to the black minority.

4. Does anyone know which states have separate divisions for public vs. private schools? The paper today said that Georgia and Alabama do not and that they use a mulitplier (?) system. The paper in Chattanooga actually said that Tennessee was the only state that had separate divisions. I wonder if that is true.

5. This will probably get this thread locked.