Cookeville vs Upperman

Volsfan52

14 hours ago, Dragline said:

Kinda been on the sidelines of this one, but tagging in now.  So when Cookeville brought in two D1 signees from Wilson Co and a QB from McMinnville, there was no problem with transfers.  A couple of years ago, Cookeville's best athlete on the football team had played his freshmen year at Upperman. Don't recall anyone railing against that.  When two girl's basketball players went from Upperman to Cookeville, not a peep.  Speaking of basketball, where did those new guys the boys team had last year magically appear from?  What about the guard from Celina?  Cookeville benefits just as much as anyone from transfers, sounds like they just don't want anyone else too.  A little hypocritical wouldn't you say?  Or do you think the mighty Cavaliers are entitled more than others?  Glass houses dude.

This post should just about wrap it up don’t you think?

15 hours ago, Dragline said:

Kinda been on the sidelines of this one, but tagging in now.  So when Cookeville brought in two D1 signees from Wilson Co and a QB from McMinnville, there was no problem with transfers.  A couple of years ago, Cookeville's best athlete on the football team had played his freshmen year at Upperman. Don't recall anyone railing against that.  When two girl's basketball players went from Upperman to Cookeville, not a peep.  Speaking of basketball, where did those new guys the boys team had last year magically appear from?  What about the guard from Celina?  Cookeville benefits just as much as anyone from transfers, sounds like they just don't want anyone else too.  A little hypocritical wouldn't you say?  Or do you think the mighty Cavaliers are entitled more than others?  Glass houses dude.

11 hours ago, Dragline said:

Not really my intent to crack on Alumni, seems like a reasonable poster at times.  Just seems to lack info or is maybe toeing the company line a little too much.  Let's take the comments about how the turf came to be.  The most truthful part of that was that it "mostly" came from donations. What does that mean?  Does it mean that what they got was a bunch of pledges?  And if someone decides not to meet their obligation, who's on the hook for it?  I hope they got or get every thing that was committed.  But how would one ever know?  Should UHS go raise the money as you suggested or just get the BOE on board?  And in a few years, what happens when it needs to be replaced?  Basically, minus the drainage, it'll cost just as much too replace.  Have the bake sales and car washes already started so you can "raise" the money again?  And what about that $300,000 track paid for with public money?  That's probably more than what is spent on Upperman football facilities in ten years or more.

Let me start by saying I don't advocate for any transferring for high school sports reasons only. I think it sends the wrong message to kids.   I especially hate it when rules aren't followed.  I have ZERO proof of any wrongdoing by baxter or any kids that may have transferred there.   My statement that it had gotten out of hand was purely based on rumor in several sports lately.   I shouldn't have said it on a forum like this. I apologize. 

The wilson county athletes you referenced moved in here when one of their dads got a coaching job here.  If you ask many around, they would have preferred that didn't happen.  There was plenty of railing against that.  Trust me.  As for the other athletes being mentioned here...I don't know half of the ones you are talking about.  Again... hopefully rules have been followed in all situations.  I suppose that as a proud Alumn of CHS, it stings a little when you see kids choosing to go to another school so close to home.  

Now for the turf.  As far as I know there was no to very little money spent by the BOE on the turf field.  I don't have access to financial records so obviously I don't know. It is my understanding that private donations made by businesses and alumni paid for it.  I said "mostly" because there is so much heresay with all of this its hard to be sure.  

I'll take "reasonable" as a compliment.   I think you are a reasonable poster as well.   I can assure you that I lack information as I am just an old Alumn who roots for my old high school.  I know a few parents of kids here and there.  

1 hour ago, Alumn89 said:

I'll take "reasonable" as a compliment.   I think you are a reasonable poster as well.   I can assure you that I lack information as I am just an old Alumn who roots for my old high school.  I know a few parents of kids here and there.  

I respect and appreciate what you said in your reply.  I'm not a big fan of transfers either, unfortunately, it's a way of life. No program is going to turn down a kid, especially if they feel he/she can help.  On the other side, kid's change for various reasons, many aren't even related to athletics.   It just gets old every time Upperman has a little success someone wants to act like it's due to anything other than the fact that they have good programs.  It's certainly not only aimed at you, go back and look at all the insinuations in other posts.  It just gets old and maybe yours was a little bit of match to fuse that compelled me to create an account and say something.  Most of the players on the baseball ship team were legacies. The key players on the girls basketball ship team came up through Upperman.  The middle school football team has played in three straight league championships and won two.  Those kids are in high school now and making a difference.  The MS basketball team played in the state finals in TMSAA.  I guess if they have success in high school and if anybody joins the team from somewhere else, that'll be the reason.  Enough rant, but one final thought.  If you take Rollins off U and put him on Cookeville, is the outcome still the same, a U win?  

On 8/23/2022 at 10:56 AM, Alumn89 said:

1. The turf field was mostly funded from private donations to the football, soccer, and lax teams.  If you would like baxter to get a turf field then get out and raise some money. 

2. There is no enforcement of any kind of zone unless you ride a bus.    There are, however, TSSAA rules regarding transferring schools and address changes.  Personally I feel that they should enforce a "hard zone" based on address wheather you ride a bus or not so all of this transferring between county schools would stop. 

3. Not sure about all the kids you named but Rollins went to CHS his freshman year.  He is a great player. 

Transfers are here to stay, just look at the college level. At least Putnsm doesn't deal with private schools picking off certain kids. Secondly, with a little inside knowledge, the turf field was partly paid for with money raised, far from mostly paid for from money raised. UHS doesn't ask for a million dollars for a turf field, just give them the amount that the school board give for the CHS bleachers -track-turf  that would suffice. As far as raising funds, hard to get much GameDay revenue from a stadium that roughly holds 1,500.  Built for a 1a school and now playing 4a, with no further funding is ridiculous. Infest in the programs that's producing results. 

• Upvote 1