reclassification Video

WestTNHoopsFan

8 minutes ago, dmm88 said:

So I looked at Alabama's enrollment numbers, and these are what they go by. Potentially a blueprint for us OR not.

1A: 0-143

2A: 144-221

3A: 222-283

4A: 284-372

5A: 373-567 

6A: 568-1,045

7A: 1,046 and up 

Schools from 1A-5A play schools with the same OR close to enrollment. 5A and 6A is a HUGE gap, obviously that would have to be addressed some kind of way. But this is more in line of what we NEED. 

I agree that the gap is wider, but not sure if it needs to be addressed or not. To put 5 kids on the floor that can compete with a school twice it's size for a 200 enrollment school is harder than for a 1,000 enrollment. The upper split between 1,400+ to 2,800+ is a large number, but for the purpose of fielding a basketball team, the size advantage doesn't amount to as much of a problem when you're "only" trying to have 10-12 kids who can actually play at a high level.

Per Kreager’s Twitter, classification plan will stay the same for the next two years. They will reassess at that time with two more years of data.  Only changes this year will be based on enrollment changes up or down.

I’m surprised but at least they didn’t make anything worse.

8 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I agree that the gap is wider, but not sure if it needs to be addressed or not. To put 5 kids on the floor that can compete with a school twice it's size for a 200 enrollment school is harder than for a 1,000 enrollment. The upper split between 1,400+ to 2,800+ is a large number, but for the purpose of fielding a basketball team, the size advantage doesn't amount to as much of a problem when you're "only" trying to have 10-12 kids who can actually play at a high level.

Yeah and 100 and 150 student schools have done well in Single A. Gleason, Bradford and Greenfield have 10 Gold Balls and several sliver in three classes. That statement about a school shouldn’t have to play a school double it size is a friendly way of saying we want more revenue from the four class format. Coaches in AA and AAA wasn’t going to be in favor of taking one for the team because of the four class problems and they shouldn’t. AA and AAA is really tough now without adding 20-30 teams a class. 

I think there will be some changes to several districts.  If the numbers stay close to where they were a few years ago schools like JCM, Liberty, and McNairy may fall to AA.  Bolivar may move up to AAA also.  So, there could be some new faces to some of the districts.  It will be interesting to see where some of the enrollments fall when they come out in September.

1 hour ago, Redrage4life said:

I think there will be some changes to several districts.  If the numbers stay close to where they were a few years ago schools like JCM, Liberty, and McNairy may fall to AA.  Bolivar may move up to AAA also.  So, there could be some new faces to some of the districts.  It will be interesting to see where some of the enrollments fall when they come out in September.

I heard Dyersburg may be dropping to AA as well. They’re about a year away from being REALLY good

33 minutes ago, maddams said:

I could be wrong I have a buddy up there who says they are losing a lot of students to Dyer County - not necessarily losing athletes but losing enrollment. Dyersburg was the smallest AAA school two years ago. They’re probably right around that cutoff line again. 

20 minutes ago, Redrage4life said:

Dyersburg will more than likely be added to the Gibson County & Westview district.  That will be the hardest district in girl's basketball in the state without a doubt.  

You never know. Strayhorn is a gym rat and has done a lot for girls basketball in West TN. Gibson County and Dyersburg are very familiar with each other. Poster on football board said McKenzie jumped 25 kids or so but looks like they will be Single A. Halls and Peabody’s number are close as well. Huntingdon is close but early word is their population is growing. Never know how these numbers will unfold. Probably some schools have closed as well. 

Edited by pioneer42

so keeping it the same... Why? And, going to be in the same spot in two years.

1A Impact:  This works out great for 1A schools. They only have 1 district with 4 teams and all the rest of the districts have at least 5.

2A Impact: Pretty good for 2A as well. They currently have only 2 districts with 4 teams and the rest have 5 or more. Don't complain about the tough district or road to state because your area has a ton of great girls players and those great girl players show up in that area to play for great programs. The enrollment is the enrollment and your geographic area is your geographic area.

3A Impact: Going to be tough for 3A: They already had 5 Districts with only 4 teams and this is not going to get better. The Western part of the state is going to be a mess figuring out who to put where to just get the districts to 4 teams. Potential for 3 team district or a huge geographic gap.

4A Impact: about the same as 2A. They had 3 districts with 4 teams. 4A teams are going to be happy as long as they don't go back to a 3 class system. 

2 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

so keeping it the same... Why? And, going to be in the same spot in two years.

1A Impact:  This works out great for 1A schools. They only have 1 district with 4 teams and all the rest of the districts have at least 5.

2A Impact: Pretty good for 2A as well. They currently have only 2 districts with 4 teams and the rest have 5 or more. Don't complain about the tough district or road to state because your area has a ton of great girls players and those great girl players show up in that area to play for great programs. The enrollment is the enrollment and your geographic area is your geographic area.

3A Impact: Going to be tough for 3A: They already had 5 Districts with only 4 teams and this is not going to get better. The Western part of the state is going to be a mess figuring out who to put where to just get the districts to 4 teams. Potential for 3 team district or a huge geographic gap.

4A Impact: about the same as 2A. They had 3 districts with 4 teams. 4A teams are going to be happy as long as they don't go back to a 3 class system. 

Since you started the thread by saying girls teams would be happy, why did you think that when AA and AAA were going to have to add 25-30 teams. Did TSSAA actually think this was a good idea???