Dyersburg vs Dyer County

mg

Dyersburg should never quit playing Haywood, Crockett County and Milan. I know we are in a new region but what do you gain by playing teams like Martin Luther King, Booker T. Washington and Bolton? Nothing but a false sense of self confidence and three guaranteed W’s.

Play Haywood, Crockett County and Milan plus Dyer County and when the playoffs come you will be battle tested. If you can’t play one of those three play a USJ or Henry County. 

It’s a win, win for everybody. You play these ShelbyCounty /Memphis City schools there is no crowd, none of  the schools makes anything in concession stand sales and what not , those poor kids you are playing can’t even punt or kick extra points and it’s a joke. 

Play those tough schools you are guaranteed a big crowd, a big increase in concession stand revenue and your team plays great competition.

And when the playoffs come you have been in every kind of environment there is plus other than Alcoa you will not meet a team as good or better year in and year out than Haywood, Milan or Henry County and you can’t say “if we would have played them on the turf we would have beat them”

Give it a shot. Even if you lose to those good teams, you win your region games you still make the playoffs.

Just a thought from a loyal Trojan fan in the stands.

Edited by Volwalk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

So region opponents would rather not play than give themselves an opportunity to win the region? 

All I’m saying is Stowe has gotten a pretty good reputation of wanting to play weaker schedules and padding his stats than playing stiffer competition and increasing his teams odds come playoff time. I think it’s a shame. As much history that Haywood and Dyersburg have I think we should play every year regardless of classification.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rockytoptomcat said:

All I’m saying is Stowe has gotten a pretty good reputation of wanting to play weaker schedules and padding his stats than playing stiffer competition and increasing his teams odds come playoff time. I think it’s a shame. As much history that Haywood and Dyersburg have I think we should play every year regardless of classification.

I think Stowe’s toughest schedule was in 2018 when they beat us in da reg season and we beat them in the Qtrs 

Excellent post @Volwalk.  Welcome to Coach T.

Dyersburg was classified AAA for the 2015-2016 cycle, and they would not schedule Haywood.  Dyersburg was classified AAA for the 2021-2022 cycle, and they would not schedule Haywood.

I don’t know the reason, nor do I know who may be behind Dyersburg’s decision not to play Haywood.  But Coach Stowe may not be the only one involved in making that decision.  The AD, the principal, the superintendent, the school board, and various boosters ($$$) may be involved as well.  I just don’t know how much freedom Coach Stowe may, or may not, have in making out the Trojans’ schedule, so I'm reluctant to place the blame solely on him.

The Trojans and the Tomcats have played each other at least 90 times over the past 110 years. The two schools were initial members of the old Big Ten Conference when it was formed in 1940.  According to the AHSFHS site Haywood is Dyersburg’s oldest rival, so it does seem natural they would play.

Fun Fact:  It wasn’t at the “historic” J.C. Sawyers Stadium, but Dyersburg did get the opportunity to play Haywood in 2020.  The score:  Haywood 42, Dyersburg 14  (2nd round of the TSSAA playoffs)

Edited by stacmot

13 hours ago, Volwalk said:

Dyersburg should never quit playing Haywood, Crockett County and Milan. I know we are in a new region but what do you gain by playing teams like Martin Luther King, Booker T. Washington and Bolton? Nothing but a false sense of self confidence and three guaranteed W’s.

Play Haywood, Crockett County and Milan plus Dyer County and when the playoffs come you will be battle tested. If you can’t play one of those three play a USJ or Henry County. 

It’s a win, win for everybody. You play these ShelbyCounty /Memphis City schools there is no crowd, none of  the schools makes anything in concession stand sales and what not , those poor kids you are playing can’t even punt or kick extra points and it’s a joke. 

Play those tough schools you are guaranteed a big crowd, a big increase in concession stand revenue and your team plays great competition.

And when the playoffs come you have been in every kind of environment there is plus other than Alcoa you will not meet a team as good or better year in and year out than Haywood, Milan or Henry County and you can’t say “if we would have played them on the turf we would have beat them”

Give it a shot. Even if you lose to those good teams, you win your region games you still make the playoffs.

Could've said it better Volwalk! 

14 hours ago, Volwalk said:

This is perfectly put! Pretty much what I was trying to say but even better

15 hours ago, stacmot said:

Excellent post @Volwalk.  Welcome to Coach T.

Dyersburg was classified AAA for the 2015-2016 cycle, and they would not schedule Haywood.  Dyersburg was classified AAA for the 2021-2022 cycle, and they would not schedule Haywood.

I don’t know the reason, nor do I know who may be behind Dyersburg’s decision not to play Haywood.  But Coach Stowe may not be the only one involved in making that decision.  The AD, the principal, the superintendent, the school board, and various boosters ($$$) may be involved as well.  I just don’t know how much freedom Coach Stowe may, or may not, have in making out the Trojans’ schedule, so I'm reluctant to place the blame solely on him.

The Trojans and the Tomcats have played each other at least 90 times over the past 110 years. The two schools were initial members of the old Big Ten Conference when it was formed in 1940.  According to the AHSFHS site Haywood is Dyersburg’s oldest rival, so it does seem natural they would play.

Fun Fact:  It wasn’t at the “historic” J.C. Sawyers Stadium, but Dyersburg did get the opportunity to play Haywood in 2020.  The score:  Haywood 42, Dyersburg 14  (2nd round of the TSSAA playoffs)

You’re totally missing the point here.

In 2020, Haywood went 4-0 in the region and only took the field one time in region play. Teams on the receiving end of a Covid win had the opportunity to reschedule. The Tomcats opted to take the win and not reschedule the game. With Dyersburg, or anyone else in the region. 

18 hours ago, Volwalk said:

Dyersburg should never quit playing Haywood, Crockett County and Milan. I know we are in a new region but what do you gain by playing teams like Martin Luther King, Booker T. Washington and Bolton?

Welcome to the T.

Great to see a Trojan fan on here. As far as Bolton goes, they are a region opponent so Dburg has to play them.