Region 5AA vs Reg 6AA

ddaddy

3 hours ago, Rocketboy21 said:

It is coming soon. They’re just waiting for playoffs to be over so all the good coaches have time to apply also. 

also fielding applications is a failing strategy. you GO GET someone whose pay and opportunity u can improve. moore co's guy? at least talk to him. talk to coach k coach coleman. get recommendations from them. or promoting one of the guys from the middle school or high school staff- johnson, daughrity, russell, etc. 

4 hours ago, Rocketboy21 said:

It is coming soon. They’re just waiting for playoffs to be over so all the good coaches have time to apply also. 

5 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

R5has been the worst region in any class in TSSAA since COVID at LEAST. And Forrest couldn't even get a single playoff game. Why hasn't Coach Eli been fired yet

If Cornersville fired their guy on the Monday following their last game you would think Forrest would make the same move.  There is no explanation how a guy with only a few weeks to prepare gets canned for going 2-7 in one of the toughest 1A regions in the state.  And in the same county they let a guy go 3-7 in the easiest 2A region that they were a unanimous pick to win and they can't qualify for the playoffs. I have as much faith in the admins doing the right thing at Forrest as I did in their Cornersville job search. He's more likely to get a raise and extension than his walking papers. 

2 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

also fielding applications is a failing strategy. you GO GET someone whose pay and opportunity u can improve. moore co's guy? at least talk to him. talk to coach k coach coleman. get recommendations from them. or promoting one of the guys from the middle school or high school staff- johnson, daughrity, russell, etc. 

Couldn't agree more, you don't sit back and see who wants the job you reach out and sell the job to the guys you want. There are lots of positives (looking from the outside) that go with the job at Forrest...short of false pretenses, you magnify the positives (youth programs, tradition, talent) and offer options to fix your shortcomings. You'll never get what you don't ask for in a negotiation.

Serious question here.. is it normal practice for small town high schools to fire coaches for what the fans believe are a few underperforming years? I'll agree in the past Forrest was always a tough out.. seems like I can remember several low scoring games that went both ways.. But can the down year be put squarely on the coaches shoulders or were there some players that didn't perform? 

12 minutes ago, classof1994 said:

Serious question here.. is it normal practice for small town high schools to fire coaches for what the fans believe are a few underperforming years? I'll agree in the past Forrest was always a tough out.. seems like I can remember several low scoring games that went both ways.. But can the down year be put squarely on the coaches shoulders or were there some players that didn't perform? 

Normal practice is a relative term. Some systems hire coaches and never evaluate wins and losses. Take care of your classroom duties and don't get in trouble, and you're relatively "safe" in your job. Other places put a premium on athletic success to the extent that they will protect coaches from rule infractions or unfitting behavior from an authority figure...those are also "safe" in their job as long as they're winning and don't get caught breaking rules/laws. Coach's job at some places would be in serious jeopardy with the same results that others would call acceptable.

• Upvote 1

I would be shocked if Forrest’s coach got fired. Contrary to what some may think  it would be very challenging to find someone better. The fact is that quality coaches are not knocking down the door to come to these rural schools. Lewis Co hit a home run in getting Coach Rang, but all applicants after him was a gamble.