Haywood @ Covington 10/21/22

CHARGERFAN

15 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

I agree with parts of this. However, the gap between Alcoa and other 3A teams is massive. Covington will walk to the semis this year and having a home game against an East Nashville more than likely could go either way in my opinion. I think silver balls are very attainable with this team. 

I hate to break it to you, but east nashville will absolutely embarrass Covington. It will be a rerun of last night and apparently the Munford game as well. East Nashville has the athletes to match up with Covington and thus, will win easily. That game will not be close. 

Covington will never be expected to beat Alcoa, that is a fairy tale, but Covington went to back to back state title games not that long ago. That should be their goal every year. They can beat up on their region teams that they play, simply because Ripley, millington, bolivar, and whoever else do not have the horses to beat them, but Haywood and Munford do have those horses and you saw those results. An absolute beatdown by both teams.... Maybe that is the new Covington, I dont know. I simply am on the outside looking in. But It was not that long ago when I would make the drive to Covington and watch them beat really good teams in dominating fashion. I hope they get back to that. I am a fan of good football and Covington used to play a bunch of good football. 

Edited by JoeBlow777

20 hours ago, JoeBlow777 said:

I hate to break it to you, but east nashville will absolutely embarrass Covington. It will be a rerun of last night and apparently the Munford game as well. East Nashville has the athletes to match up with Covington and thus, will win easily. That game will not be close. 

Covington will never be expected to beat Alcoa, that is a fairy tale, but Covington went to back to back state title games not that long ago. That should be their goal every year. They can beat up on their region teams that they play, simply because Ripley, millington, bolivar, and whoever else do not have the horses to beat them, but Haywood and Munford do have those horses and you saw those results. An absolute beatdown by both teams.... Maybe that is the new Covington, I dont know. I simply am on the outside looking in. But It was not that long ago when I would make the drive to Covington and watch them beat really good teams in dominating fashion. I hope they get back to that. I am a fan of good football and Covington used to play a bunch of good football. 

Well, if Covington meets East Nashville, I will worry about that game when it happens. You gripe a lot about Covington for somebody who is apparently an outsider. I have followed this team since 1982 when my first child entered high school. Since then I have missed attending maybe 8 or 9 games that Covington has played. That’s home, away, playoffs, or bowl games. I like our current coaching staff and don’t appreciate somebody coming on Coach T and disparaging them.

You may not know that Covington is a 3A school. That means that we have fewer students than 4A Haywood and 5A Munford. That means we have a smaller talent pool. Despite that, Covington had beat Munford 4 years in a row when they managed to transfer in enough outside talent this year to get a win. 

Haywood is a great team this year. They embarrassed the 4A teams in their region with blowout wins. They are not so tough every year. Covington beat them in Brownsville two years ago. Right now they have hit an optimum combination of good talent and good coaching to be great. You are searching if you want to criticize our 3A team for losing to them. Show me a team that has beat them this year. We made a respectable showing. 

Covington played Alcoa to a standstill the last time we made the title game. They had to score in the last two minutes to beat us by 7 points. How well did East Nashville or Pearl Cohn do vs Alcoa? They got blown out - that’s how. 

So, if you continue to run down my team, I don’t care if you never darken the door of our stadium again. Go find another team to critique negatively.

Edited by CHARGERFAN
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, JoeBlow777 said:

Covington will have the advantage with us having to travel to west Tn. Also they have a offense that we haven’t seen. We got to make it their first lol and we don’t want no smoke. Covington has a lot of old posters on Coacht and I remember the stuff that was said towards PC and they games I attended. Pc fans was better then me and mines!

Being perfectly honest, no one has threatened Haywood to the point the game was ever in doubt past the first quarter. Both Lexington and Covington scored late after the outcome was determined and SGC was done after the middle of the first quarter. As a fan, I was most threatened by Covington and Milan going into the game. We will see what Covington thinks of itself when they decide to renew with the Tomcats for two more years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, reddyrebel6 said:

Being perfectly honest, no one has threatened Haywood to the point the game was ever in doubt past the first quarter. Both Lexington and Covington scored late after the outcome was determined and SGC was done after the middle of the first quarter. As a fan, I was most threatened by Covington and Milan going into the game. We will see what Covington thinks of itself when they decide to renew with the Tomcats for two more years.

Well said

1 hour ago, reddyrebel6 said:

I agree... I was hoping Covington would be a bigger test. We have tried to schedule better, but it is nearly impossible. It will be even worse next year.

I hope you are wrong! I’m hoping Henry County will come through, as well as Covington. After them hopefully we can get one of the better Memphis teams. Possibly Whitehaven, Collierville,Houston, Bartlett. There are a few Memphis private schools I wouldn’t mind scheduling but Briarcrest isn’t one of them! They might have been one of the most crooked teams we have played. Munford seems to be looking like a good team. North Mississippi has some good teams. Oakland is always looking for games, as well as lipscolm. Several Nashville teams. We need to be on the phone now working on it. Hopefully we can do better going forward! Hookfin seemed to be pretty good at finding really good random teams to play, that usually kicked our butts but we were at least playing good teams. 

2 hours ago, TrickyD said:

Hope Haywood wins it all but not having any competitive games could hurt them

I thought about that as well but I believe this team has a clip on it shoulder. So who ever they play their going to play them hard. The four round lose taught them something a lot of them remember that feeling 

As far as this year's schedule, I would point out that the Tomcats played four, potentially five region champs. Milan and Melrose were both ranked in the top 10 in the state in 4A when we  played them and SGC was also ranked at one time. Covington was ranked third in 3A. That's not really that shabby. The fact that Haywood beat them so easily does not mean they were "weak." While I would love to have been tested more, I think this year's team just plays whoever is in front of them. 

3 hours ago, TrickyD said:

Hope Haywood wins it all but not having any competitive games could hurt them

There is a sense of unity with this team this year that hasn’t been seen since 95… the players are holding each other to a standard. Possibly have the most complete team in atoms at history on our hands

• Like 1