D2 Divisions Next Year

ChuckDSanAntonio

18 minutes ago, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

Hey Fresh - you saying Lipscomb has kids come in for just a semester to play football?  Do you have any names or is that just hearsay / conjecture?  That would be quite the story for Kraeger to write.

Maybe I should have not said that.  I have no definite proof, just very strong "rumor".  Take it for what it's worth.  But ill remove that post since it's a rumor.

Edited by CoachFreshwater

20 hours ago, CoachFreshwater said:

Maybe I should have not said that.  I have no definite proof, just very strong "rumor".  Take it for what it's worth.  But ill remove that post since it's a rumor.

Coach Fresh - with that kind of strong rumor I would encourage you to go back to your sources for specifics.  I’m sure all kinds of strong rumors will be flying at the CPA/LA game tonight.  Bring them back here for some fact checking tonight.  That will be fun to see discussed.

I heard Lipscomb is ….

I heard Dilfer is ….

I heard player xyz is ….

1 hour ago, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

Coach Fresh - with that kind of strong rumor I would encourage you to go back to your sources for specifics.  I’m sure all kinds of strong rumors will be flying at the CPA/LA game tonight.  Bring them back here for some fact checking tonight.  That will be fun to see discussed.

I heard Lipscomb is ….

I heard Dilfer is ….

I heard player xyz is ….

well here's a good one for you to start the weekend--chatter that Ensworth is going to make a run at Dilfer this offseason (edit--said by a bunch of people who know nothing)

Edited by Navy21412

Lipscomb Academy football to move up to Division II-AAA starting in 2023

d42f006d-dda4-4e43-9c47-ee3c76342bf9-tom Tom Kreager
Nashville Tennessean

Lipscomb Academy will move up into a new TSSAA football classification starting next season. The Mustangs will move from Division II-AA to Division II-AAA.

Lipscomb Academy announces a move to TSSAA Div. II-AAA classification for the sport of football," said Amanda Price, the communications director at Lipscomb Academy. "This new classification is the best choice for the Lipscomb Mustangs as it allows football to have a competitive 2023 season in a strong conference and statewide league."

Lipscomb Academy is the defending DII-AA state champions and was the 2020 DII-AA runner-up under fourth-year coach Trent Dilfer.

The Mustangs (9-0) has won 17 straight games dating back to the 2021 season. The program has the top two college football prospects in the state in Edwin Spillman and Kaleb Beasley. Beasley committed to Tennessee on Friday.

Lipscomb Academy is currently the unanimous No. 1 team in the state according to the Tennessee Super 25 high school football rankings.

This story will be updated.

Reach Tom Kreager at 615-259-8089 or tkreager@tennessean.com and on Twitter @Kreager.

On 10/21/2022 at 9:03 AM, Navy21412 said:

well here's a good one for you to start the weekend--chatter that Ensworth is going to make a run at Dilfer this offseason (edit--said by a bunch of people who know nothing)

Interesting….I’m a LA guy so my comments may have bias…but if you’re an LA fan this should be concerning.  Here’s why:

-Trent’s only connection to Lipscomb was the fact that his daughter played volleyball at the university….she transferred to Liberty last year. So although LA has done a lot for Trent, he has much more for the academy. Is he loyal or does he just love coaching football?

-if Trent wants to have the best high school program in the country…think IMG, Mater Dei, John Bosco….Ensworth can provide that…LA can’t compete with $ vs Ensworth.  Is that his goal?  Wouldn’t surprise me….he is driven.

-will the new university president be ok with the academy football program being bigger than anything on the university campus?

I do think Trent wants a faith based program…not sure how Ensworth would feel about that….anyway, this may be worth watching…..

2 hours ago, TTate said:

Interesting….I’m a LA guy so my comments may have bias…but if you’re an LA fan this should be concerning.  Here’s why:

-Trent’s only connection to Lipscomb was the fact that his daughter played volleyball at the university….she transferred to Liberty last year. So although LA has done a lot for Trent, he has much more for the academy. Is he loyal or does he just love coaching football?

-if Trent wants to have the best high school program in the country…think IMG, Mater Dei, John Bosco….Ensworth can provide that…LA can’t compete with $ vs Ensworth.  Is that his goal?  Wouldn’t surprise me….he is driven.

-will the new university president be ok with the academy football program being bigger than anything on the university campus?

I do think Trent wants a faith based program…not sure how Ensworth would feel about that….anyway, this may be worth watching…..

I would say as long as the funds are there to travel nationally then there is no reason to go to another high school.  

9 hours ago, TTate said:

interesting post!  well, I know he sticking around a while at least and is happy at LA.  if you have heard his story, it's not about money even though I think LA is paying pretty well.  I think creating a nationally recognized, faith based program is important.  I believe they will continue to play more out of state, highly ranked opponents and continue to get better so staying in D2-AA seems like a poor fit for what he is building.  

also, is he building something that will last after him?  that I can't answer for sure but if this success is based solely on his personality, we are in trouble.  i hope he is building something that he will be able to hand off at some point which does happen.

in the end, they can always go back down if the wheels falls off.

these are my guesses...

- BA and ensworth stay in AAA.  does them no good to go down and they are once proud programs on the way up.  especially, BA.

- I think it's a coin flip for JP2.  would be funny if they went down and got to play FRA and their old coach who just left them. 

- CPA stays in D2-AA.  they will finish 3rd in their region this year and it makes no sense to go up at that point.  

dont know much about programs not in middle TN.

34 minutes ago, CoachFreshwater said:

So now, what does Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, St. Benedict, and PJP II do?  I'll be curious as well to see what CCS, Webb-Knoxville, and CPA do, especially CCS with where their numbers are at...

BA and Ensworth will stay up in AAA.

JP2 and St. Benedict will go down.

Webb and CCS will continue to cower in AA. They are two of the reasons for the 3 divisions anyway and the other has sold their soul to be a AAA. CPA will stay put.