TSSAA 5A 1st round playoffs - Rhea County Golden Eagles @ The Ridge

SweetScience

12 minutes ago, WestHigh4Life said:

Ive got Oak Ridge winning this game and the next round setting up a rematch with Powell in the quarterfinals. They're my darkhorse in the 5A playoffs to come out of that quadrant if not Powell.

I would almost go ahead and let Powell take that beating  in the semis..  But seriously, if we can get past the first two, OR vs Powell should be a great game with both teams healthier for the rematch.  

On 10/29/2022 at 1:34 AM, 92Dragon said:

Tough schedule or not, their only 2 wins came against a couple of 1-9 teams. Are you kidding me? (In my Mark Packer voice)  A team with a 2-8 record should NOT be in the playoffs in my opinion. 

Oak Ridge is looking better than they have all season long and that's what it's all about....getting better as the season goes along.

I like Oak Ridge in this one. And I don't even think it will be close.  I say Oak Ridge 34 - 14

I'm gonna agree.

OR is healthy, QB looks like a different person than several weeks back, everyone has improved in the last 3 games or so. I agree Rhea County is down from normal, too. Typically, those guys are pretty dang good, I respect the Golden Eagles a lot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ipb7 said:

I'm gonna agree.

OR is healthy, QB looks like a different person than several weeks back, everyone has improved in the last 3 games or so. I agree Rhea County is down from normal, too. Typically, those guys are pretty dang good, I respect the Golden Eagles a lot.

I have a lot of respect for Rhea County too. My problem isn't with Rhea County, it's the fact that a team with a 2-8 record is in the playoffs. 

6 hours ago, Knoxvegas865 said:

I figured Rhea county would be a lot better after seeing them vs Powell last year. Talented athletic QB Who played safety too i think. I’m guessing they lost some o-line and have had the injury bug. 

You would be correct. We have an entirely new O-Line, and have been without some key players for some important games. We are more than likely down two or three offensive starters this week. That is not an excuse, though, just stating facts. The kid we had playing QB last season is now at WR, and he switches time between safety and linebacker on defense. I don't see this one ending well, but at least we will have some solid experience coming back next season as we only lose our kicker, a linebacker, and a tight end. All of the skill guys will be back on offense, including our tailback that has over 4,000 rushing yards over the last three seasons, as will all the O-Line. Same goes for defense as most are either juniors or sophomores. We will be senior-heavy across the board, but with the amount of experience some of the younger guys have gotten, we could be in for something special in 23.

7 hours ago, Knoxvegas865 said:

I figured Rhea county would be a lot better after seeing them vs Powell last year. Talented athletic QB Who played safety too i think. I’m guessing they lost some o-line and have had the injury bug. 

Agreed, although I'd add that the Eagles played a brutally tough schedule this year. They played two doormats (Howard and Ooltewah), and beat the brakes off of both. Outside of the close loss to Walker Valley, they took L's against 7 pretty solid teams.

OR is playing as well as they have all year, but I think this one will be a lot closer than some think.

20 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Agreed, although I'd add that the Eagles played a brutally tough schedule this year. They played two doormats (Howard and Ooltewah), and beat the brakes off of both. Outside of the close loss to Walker Valley, they took L's against 7 pretty solid teams.

OR is playing as well as they have all year, but I think this one will be a lot closer than some think.

How close Nut?  Their fans aren't giving them much of a chance. If I'm not mistaken they just lost to Coffee County for the first time ever last week 35-0.  They do have the "tackle eligible" play though.  ha ha

They did play AC, Alcoa, and Elizabethton down to the wire earlier in the season, which makes the shut out loss to Coffee County a real head scratcher.  I'm assuming they have several starters out due to injury here at the end of the season.  

Edited by oridgecat

19 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

How close Nut?  Their fans aren't giving them much of a chance. If I'm not mistaken they just lost to Coffee County for the first time ever last week 35-0.  They do have the "tackle eligible" play though.  ha ha

They did play AC, Alcoa, and Elizabethton down to the wire earlier in the season, which makes the shut out loss to Coffee County a real head scratcher.  I'm assuming they have several starters out due to injury here at the end of the season.  

I have never seen a team go up and down in one year so much as Rhea. But I assume injuries and a younger team. I guess Friday night we might see which team shows up. This will be an interesting game.

31 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

How close Nut?  Their fans aren't giving them much of a chance. If I'm not mistaken they just lost to Coffee County for the first time ever last week 35-0.  They do have the "tackle eligible" play though.  

I think OR wins by 10, and the Wildcats score late to put it away.

I know that Coffee County is typically a doormat, but this year they are no slouch. Some fun facts about the Red Raiders in 2022:

• They just had their best regular season in the entire TSSAA playoff era.
    • Only losses were to Page and Franklin County
  • They won their region (in the playoff era) for the first time in program history.
  • The last time they won at least 8 regular season games was back in 1969(!) when they went 9-1.
  • Since 1971, this is just the 5th time they've had a winning record.
  • They've never won a playoff game in their entire history.
Edited by osunut2

3 minutes ago, Mavericksinflight said:

I have never seen a team go up and down in one year so much as Rhea. But I assume injuries and a younger team. I guess Friday night we might see which team shows up. This will be an interesting game.

How did you like that CC game Mav?  No parade this year.  Dang near got the shutout.  Our 3rds let a guy in as time expired. lol

4 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

How did you like that CC game Mav?  No parade this year.  Dang near got the shutout.  Our 3rds let a guy in as time expired. lol

Good to see OR fans with a little extra giddy up in their step as the playoffs near. Unlike early, when the sky was falling and the nuclear facility was close to destruction. I like the Ridge by a couple of TD’s. Only a couple because one Rhea poster guaranteed that nobody wanted to play them in the postseason. I figure he might know something.