MEMORABLE "4 SEED 1 SEED" UPSETS IN 1A AND 2A

GeneralForrest

15 hours ago, LEON said:

That’s right great LB that UT didn’t offer a scholarship and I heard he would’ve walk to Knoxville if they had offered. Fulmer passed on several in state players like Randall Cobb of Alcoa that turned out to be big mistakes. Patrick Turner is the player I was trying to remember from Goodpasture that went on to play at USC .

Goodpasture also had Benny Cunningham that played at MTSU and in the NFL with the Rams.

On 10/30/2022 at 11:13 PM, LEON said:

That’s right great LB that UT didn’t offer a scholarship and I heard he would’ve walk to Knoxville if they had offered. Fulmer passed on several in state players like Randall Cobb of Alcoa that turned out to be big mistakes. Patrick Turner is the player I was trying to remember from Goodpasture that went on to play at USC .

No other SEC team offered Patrick Willis because he was underweight and was a project. Chavis talked Cutcliffe at Ole Miss into giving him a chance, and it ended up working out well for them.
Randall Cobb wanted to be a college QB. Fulmer offered him a scholarship at wide receiver but told him he wasn't SEC caliber QB material. Kentucky mislead Cobb so Cobb committed to them. Cobb ended up as a wide receiver, just as UT coaches told him was his natural position.
Patrick Turner was going to USC regardless of who offered him. His heart was set on them and only them.

There are hits and misses with every program.   

42 minutes ago, blitzinbuc said:

No other SEC team offered Patrick Willis because he was underweight and was a project. Chavis talked Cutcliffe at Ole Miss into giving him a chance, and it ended up working out well for them.
Randall Cobb wanted to be a college QB. Fulmer offered him a scholarship at wide receiver but told him he wasn't SEC caliber QB material. Kentucky mislead Cobb so Cobb committed to them. Cobb ended up as a wide receiver, just as UT coaches told him was his natural position.
Patrick Turner was going to USC regardless of who offered him. His heart was set on them and only them.

There are hits and misses with every program.   

Patrick Willis underweight? That's the first I've ever heard that. He was a solid 220 his senior year. Be honest with yourself he had 1 major offer because he went to a small school. 

Edited by ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood

7 minutes ago, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

Patrick Willis underweight? That's the first I've ever heard that. He was a solid 220 his senior year. Be honest with yourself he had 1 major offer because he went to a small school. 

If I had responded to his post before reading yours, I would have said the same thing...Patrick was a man-child when at Bruceton. We played them in basketball, and he looked like he was chiseled out of marble.

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

If I had responded to his post before reading yours, I would have said the same thing...Patrick was a man-child when at Bruceton. We played them in basketball, and he looked like he was chiseled out of marble.

I was a young kid so he probably seemed even bigger at the time. I just remember my poor cousin who was a sophomore at the time trying to tackle this Incredible Hulk stand-in. Just wasn't happening. 

Sunbright in 2000 against Lookout Valley was a #4 seed beating to a #1 seed... The Tigers had an undefeated regular season that year, were supposed to play South Pitt but like 2 or 3 days before the game, the Pirates get booted from the playoffs, Lookout Valley goes in at 2-8... and beats arguably the best Sunbright team ever in the first round of the playoffs.

Edited by SmallTownSportsGuy