Watered down playoffs

92Dragon

8 hours ago, Mindya said:

Correction 3 of the games came down to the wire with CC going to OT so again just stop fueling the fire 92

Yes mamn, yes mamn! You're absolutely correct. I'll be sure to get your approval next time before I post my opinion on here. 

Edited by 92Dragon

5 hours ago, cbg said:

That’s truly the way that things operated by in the day.  If everyone is being honest we should not have more than four classifications now and only the district champion should go to the playoffs.  Let’s stop rewarding people that are not really good.

That's my point exactly. There are better teams sitting at home with 5-5 records this week while  1-9 and 2-8 teams are in the playoffs.

The Z-Plan would have made it virtually impossible for a 1-9 team to make the playoffs. Too many people were afraid of something that they did not understand. Most schools wanted to go back to what we have now because it was simple and easy to understand. The fact is that those who complain about teams with sub 500 records are at least partially responsible for us going back to a system that enables 1-9 teams to make the playoffs. JMO

• Upvote 1

I have a friend that coaches in Michigan.  It is wild there.  Teams have to qualify for the playoffs based off their body of work.  One year you might be in the 2A playoff, next 3A, or 4A.  It's crazy.  I'm assuming local commities set it up.  I would be cool with this, but classsifications would stay the same for me.  Make a 4 Quad scenerio made up of 8 teams. In the east there would be 2 Quads, 2 Middle Quads, and 2 West Quads.  Sometimes a 5-5 team is better than a 7-3 team in a different region.  

Edited by logcabinman

You're not wrong if you have the fans in mind, but if we're considering the kids, there's nothing wrong with essentially an extra round of playoff games so that some kids get to play one more time, even if they do get demonlished by the top teams.  I'd go play once more if I could, even to lose on a mercy rule.  Surely lots of kids feel the same.

46 minutes ago, logcabinman said:

I have a friend that coaches in Michigan.  It is wild there.  Teams have to qualify for the playoffs based off their body of work.  One year you might be in the 2A playoff, next 3A, or 4A.  It's crazy.  I'm assuming local commities set it up.  I would be cool with this, but classsifications would stay the same for me.  Make a 4 Quad scenerio made up of 8 teams. In the east there would be 2 Quads, 2 Middle Quads, and 2 West Quads.  Sometimes a 5-5 team is better than a 7-3 team in a different region.  

I have a friend in California and he talks about how the better performing teams get pushed into higher classifications. 

5 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

The Z-Plan would have made it virtually impossible for a 1-9 team to make the playoffs. Too many people were afraid of something that they did not understand. Most schools wanted to go back to what we have now because it was simple and easy to understand. The fact is that those who complain about teams with sub 500 records are at least partially responsible for us going back to a system that enables 1-9 teams to make the playoffs. JMO

I loved the Z-Plan. The playoffs were more exciting and you didn't know who you were going to play. Really mixed things up. Right now by mid-season all the coaches know who they will probably play up to round 4 if they make it through. 

17 hours ago, haweanbula said:

I remember my dad talking about only the 1st team from each district going to the playoffs back when he played and there was only 3 classifications. He talked about finishing 2nd in the district and not going to the playoffs on a 9-1 team. @cbg

That was the way it was in the 80s. I remember OR would win the District then and Clinton always finish 2nd but didn't get to go, so when they started having the top two teams go, we named it the "Ron Brown Rule" after former Clinton coach in the 80s Ron Brown, who helped get them to change that, So if you finished other than 1st, you were a Ron Brown team. Kind of funny.

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack said:

That was the way it was in the 80s. I remember OR would win the District then and Clinton always finish 2nd but didn't get to go, so when they started having the top two teams go, we named it the "Ron Brown Rule" after former Clinton coach in the 80s Ron Brown, who helped get them to change that, So if you finished other than 1st, you were a Ron Brown team. Kind of funny.

The last year of the 3 class system (1992) the team I was with was undefeated and we hosted another undefeated in Round 2. The prize for the winner was to travel to another undefeated for Round 3. 

10 hours ago, haweanbula said:

I loved the Z-Plan. The playoffs were more exciting and you didn't know who you were going to play. Really mixed things up. Right now by mid-season all the coaches know who they will probably play up to round 4 if they make it through. 

you understood the assignment!