Watered down playoffs

92Dragon

On 11/3/2022 at 8:03 AM, cbg said:

California may be crazy and not a good example when it comes to how you govern in politics but due to their population base they have some really good high school football teams.  The best public high school football teams in Tennessee would struggle to compete with the best teams in California.  Let’s remember that California does not separate the public & private schools but they have some really good public school coaches and players.

It’s funny how Californians keep moving here in Big Orange country and  try to start telling us what we’re doing wrong 

8 hours ago, orangeandwhite said:

It’s funny how Californians keep moving here in Big Orange country and  try to start telling us what we’re doing wrong 

I am a native Tennessean but have lived all over the country.  There are good people and good things in every state.  I have always said that it makes you a better person to take the best things from everyone that you come in contact with and ignore the bad things in people.  It’s interesting what people learn when they leave their geographical area of the country.  

On 10/30/2022 at 7:49 AM, 92Dragon said:

I know that it eventually all works out in the end and the best team ends up with the gold ball, but these first round matchups are a joke for the most part.

If TSSAA is going to allow a 1-9 team into the playoffs, why not just let everyone in? 

MEH.. more games, more revenue for programs, more exposure for athletes. The Shelbyville seniors wouldn’t have traded that 65-0 loss for anything. 99.9% it will be there last game. That’s who i think about, not grumpy old glass half empty guys on the internet 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DawgsPBS said:

MEH.. more games, more revenue for programs, more exposure for athletes. The Shelbyville seniors wouldn’t have traded that 65-0 loss for anything. 99.9% it will be there last game. That’s who i think about, not grumpy old glass half empty guys on the internet 

Well, if it comes down to making more money, why don't they just let everyone in the playoffs? That would be more games and more money too. 

• Like 1

This is a little bit off topic, but one thing that fascinates me about the $$$ issue is the impact that streaming these games has on the overall gate. Granted, I have two young kids, but thanks to streaming options (Packer, Diamond Clear, NFHS), I haven't been to a game in person in at least 7 years. Before that, I was physically going to a game almost every week and also spending a few bucks at the concession stand.

There's no way to know exactly how much streaming has hit the TSSAA (or the schools themselves) in the wallet, but it hasn't helped. I guess the question is whether or not the overall exposure (for the kids/schools/communities) that streaming provides offsets that. We've seen this impact ticket sales in college/professional sports, but they have the benefit of TV contract $$$ which makes up for every bit of that.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 11/2/2022 at 12:09 PM, cbg said:

The playoff qualifications should no doubt be that only the top 2 teams in each region qualify for the playoffs.  We currently have 6.7 million people living in Tennessee and we have 9 divisions for high school football which is ludicrous.  Everyone should be combined back together and play within five (5) divisions.  What we currently have is a combination of a turf war between the public school administrators and private schools along with armed robbery being committed by the TSSAA.

I would actually prefer cutting down to three public only divisions and then make an open division. I think public and private should be kept separate It's just common sense. However, I think an open division where both public and private can join would be nice to have. I'm sure Alcoa would be happy to beat up private schools. I don't think tiny communities with county populations of 5k-99k should be forced to compete with private schools in counties that have around half a million people. Nor should they have to travel hours just to get beat up by said schools. That's stupid.