Gordonsville @ Clay Co Part 2. THE REMATCH

TheBlueprint

14 minutes ago, Boarhog said:

What were the gimmick trick plays?  Maybe I wasn’t at the same game?  And as far as the “we beat ourselves” goes I could easily say we had blowed coverages on y’all’s 2 TD passes and that we should’ve easily won 35-7, instead of 27-20.

We must have been watching different games lol. We caught a TD with a guy draped all over our guy and we made a good play on the ball and the other one Albritton threw a dime up the seam right over top of the safety’s head to score. And the last TD we scored late, we lined up and ran it right down your throat

And as far your trick plays go, you ran a jet sweep pass with a WR to get down to the 10 yd line. And another, you ran a screen pass with everyone on the whole field running toward our sideline and threw it back across the field like the music city miracle. I thought I remembered there being 3 but those are the only 2 I can think of at the moment

2 minutes ago, OldTownRoad said:

That "shanked" punt was done to keep it away from our returner, who is one the most dangerous returners in 1A. When you intentionally try to locate the punt near the sideline, a shank is inevitable, and is still likely better than letting our returner have a chance to run one back.

Yeah I agree. Because all the other ones we kicked to the “most dangerous returner in 1A” really went well for you all. Give me a break

Edited by Roooster

1 hour ago, Roooster said:

We must have been watching different games lol. We caught a TD with a guy draped all over our guy and we made a good play on the ball and the other one Albritton threw a dime up the seam right over top of the safety’s head to score. And the last TD we scored late, we lined up and ran it right down your throat

And as far your trick plays go, you ran a jet sweep pass with a WR to get down to the 10 yd line. And another, you ran a screen pass with everyone on the whole field running toward our sideline and threw it back across the field like the music city miracle. I thought I remembered there being 3 but those are the only 2 I can think of at the moment

The jet sweep pass with the WR was definitely out of the norm but shouldn’t have been a surprise to the defense since the WR is our second QB who threw for over 1500 yards and 19 TDs last year as a freshman.  Definitely a good play call.  Kinda similar to when y’all tried to throw for the two point with 16, who I believe is y’all’s freshman reserve QB (which I’ve heard is gonna be a beast of a replacement after 3 leaves next year).

10 hours ago, Roooster said:

What did y’all do on offense last time we met other than hit on 3 trick plays? We flat out beat ourselves with an atrocious 3rd quarter

This group of Bulldogs don’t beat theirselves. Don’t turn the ball over. The score in the last meeting should’ve been 20-14 Clay. Our coaches got greedy before half. It should’ve been 12-7 Clay at half. That said Bulldogs win this game also. 20-7.

9 hours ago, Roooster said:

Screen plays aren’t trick plays. The jet sweep pass was just a gutsy play call. And Gordonsville didn’t run over Clay on their last offensive play on 4th & 1. Gordonsville never punted or kicked to #44 for Clay. Every team knew better. When they did they usually paid the price. 

Edited by Dog13
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Dog13 said:

Screen plays aren’t trick plays. The jet sweep pass was just a gutsy play call. And Gordonsville didn’t run over Clay on their last offensive play on 4th & 1. Gordonsville never punted or kicked to #44 for Clay. Every team knew better. When they did they usually paid the price. 

Every other play on the entire drive we gained about 5 yards a carry. And then for some reason we tried to throw on 2nd and 6. And credit to you guys you made a stop when it mattered on 4th

21 minutes ago, Cam615 said:

Question, this is the biggest football game in Clay Co since…?   The nerves will be up for both teams but I would tend to lean to the team with the most experience. 

Since 1985, Dawgs went on the road and beat Knox Catholic to advance to the semis.  Our seniors are gamers though.  I don’t really worry about nerves with them honestly, but you’re right, essentially uncharted territory for Bulldog football.  However three of our leaders were big parts of the state championship basketball team two years ago, so some of our kids have already played on bigger stages and won.

• Upvote 2

Gordonsville’s seniors have got put out in their three prior seasons by SP in the third round every year, so definitely a huge congratulations to them for dispatching of the Pirates last Friday in a game that I predicted Gville would win.  Clay’s seniors have been put out in the 2nd every year (2019 SP, 2020 Gville, 2021 SP).  Both groups are dead set on stamping their legacy on their respective programs by hosting a semifinal game next week.  This will be the 6th meeting of these squads in the past four years, and as was mentioned by OldTownRoad, the home team has won em all.  Friday is gonna be fun, win, lose, or draw.  It ain’t no secret that Gordonsville has been dominant in this series for 50 years now, and have established themselves as the best current A program in the east year in and year out behind SP.  It’s Clay’s turn to finally have some fortune and glory I hope.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Boarhog said:

Since 1985, Dawgs went on the road and beat Knox Catholic to advance to the semis.  Our seniors are gamers though.  I don’t really worry about nerves with them honestly, but you’re right, essentially uncharted territory for Bulldog football.  However three of our leaders were big parts of the state championship basketball team two years ago, so some of our kids have already played on bigger stages and won.

Thanks for the info, it does help a little, East Robertson is experiencing the same thing with guys getting experience on the big stage with basketball