Gordonsville @ Clay Co Part 2. THE REMATCH

TheBlueprint

Doing a little research today and I believe I counted up 18 previous 3rd Round appearances for Gordonsville. That’s good stuff.  6-12 in those games if I counted right, and obviously 3-3 in the semis I suppose.  Any Tiger posters have an opinion on how the 2012 team would’ve matched up against the 1984 team (hard to compare different eras, I know)?  I remember that ‘12 team very well, tush hogs.

58 minutes ago, Boarhog said:

Doing a little research today and I believe I counted up 18 previous 3rd Round appearances for Gordonsville. That’s good stuff.  6-12 in those games if I counted right, and obviously 3-3 in the semis I suppose.  Any Tiger posters have an opinion on how the 2012 team would’ve matched up against the 1984 team (hard to compare different eras, I know)?  I remember that ‘12 team very well, tush hogs.

I don't think the 2012 team would've faired well against any of our good teams from the 80s. It's no slight against them, but even the teams that didn't get past the semis in the 80s achieved a lot considering there was only 3 classes and many of the big privates played 1A ball.

Those guys on those 80s teams didn't necessarily have the size but they were a totally different breed of football player.

3 hours ago, Boarhog said:

The team from ‘84 had more physicality and pride than ‘12 but that’s more so the difference in eras. The teams were actually pretty similar personnel wise, a very strong running game with good line play. This ‘22 team would get beat badly by those teams in the trenches but once again I think you’re talking about a difference in eras. This team has a large cast of skill players from senior to freshman. 

57 minutes ago, TigerTown12 said:

The team from ‘84 had more physicality and pride than ‘12 but that’s more so the difference in eras. The teams were actually pretty similar personnel wise, a very strong running game with good line play. This ‘22 team would get beat badly by those teams in the trenches but once again I think you’re talking about a difference in eras. This team has a large cast of skill players from senior to freshman. 

I wouldn’t say that there was more pride in 84. But I would definitely say the physicality was the biggest difference

17 hours ago, Roooster said:

I wouldn’t say that there was more pride in 84. But I would definitely say the physicality was the biggest difference

The problem people for get is those 84 teams still played many of the same schools as the teams today play. Even though there were only 3 classes there were also much fewer schools in TN. They’ve built a lot more. You could make the argument the 80s teams wouldn’t be able to compete because of the number of kids to pick from now vs then. Watertown for instance has many more kids to pick from than they did in the 80s. The 2022 version of Watertown would have as many kids to pick from as a 3a school in the 80s possibly

Edited by Mr. Postman1