Best ADs in East Tn.

wompuscat

On 11/12/2022 at 2:03 PM, FormerMav said:

This last part.  Share athletes.  Support for all students,  not just football.  I don't know the guy but he's got my vote.  

GT couldn't give 2 craps about anything other than football. 

LOL at the thread of best AD's , all I can say is You either love him,  or wish you had him.  Unlike you fm, GT's list is long and distinguished.   He and his gang of friends have added Turf and Jumbotron to the campus with all private funds paid up front.  Last I checked, Girl's soccer, softball and track all benefit from the turf and Soccer and Track have access to the  Jumbotron.    GT and his team have  upgraded every locker room on campus, boy's and girl's, new gym floor, new locker room for soccer and track coming this spring under his leadership.  So keep on running that big mouth, and keep watching GT raise the bar across East Tennessee.  

Not ours, he coaches football. 

Campaigns about 15 separate Twitter accounts for football. 

Posts videos of himself washing the football team uniforms after games. 

Hypes football non stop. 

Others sports maybe get a tweet if they're lucky.  Even when they compete for a championship.  

I get that people have favorites but if you're the AD aren't you supposed to support ALL students?  Be the football director if you want, make it a new title or whatever.  There's a reason why so many other parents I'm friends with can't stand the guy.  They all have athletes not on the football team.  I'm glad mine are graduated. 

21 minutes ago, olhickory said:

LOL at the thread of best AD's , all I can say is You either love him,  or wish you had him.  Unlike you fm, GT's list is long and distinguished.   He and his gang of friends have added Turf and Jumbotron to the campus with all private funds paid up front.  Last I checked, Girl's soccer, softball and track all benefit from the turf and Soccer and Track have access to the  Jumbotron.    GT and his team have  upgraded every locker room on campus, boy's and girl's, new gym floor, new locker room for soccer and track coming this spring under his leadership.  So keep on running that big mouth, and keep watching GT raise the bar across East Tennessee.  

He does a great job for the football team,  no doubt.  No argument.  

The other stuff you just said is a lie. Girls soccer team gets told hours before kickoff they have to have their home game in the pasture because football needs the field for practice. A home game on the schedule and they kicked the girls off the field the day of the game. For practice. 

Girls BB gets kicked out of gym where they practice so football can do walk throughs in the gym on game day.

Girls BB had a wealthy donor that was a fan of Nikki Anosike. That's who paid for the girls locker room makeover. GT didn't donate those funds. Nikki was a great hire but she saw the culture and bolted. That, and to take care of her family.  She didn't want to be a part of that.  

The weight room is almost exclusively for football use.  AC is very close to violating TSSAA rules for the strength program. It's not supposed to be sport specific but when is the last time they did anything for the volleyball,  girls BB or wrestling team?  Nope  it's all football specific stuff. They don't work with other sports well at all.  

The student body knows.  They really do.  If you ask them they'll you AC only cares about football. That's fine  just admit it. 

Edited by FormerMav

13 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I was under the assumption that most A.D.'s were glorified bean counters and schedule makers.

…who avoid tough conversations, don’t return phone calls, and only care about football. 
At least that is what we have grown accustomed to at 825. Look at our other programs.

My vote is a tie between Gary “ol hickory” terry and Scotty boy out at ol Billy B! Pretty tough job week in and week out getting people kind of excited for games! GT, besides throwing out his own resume on coach t  is a class act. It’s hard to make the argument he doesn’t care about other sports when I personally have seen him laying down painters tape for soccer lines on the football field and they were pretty straight too 

Edited by YoungBuck

Had the opportunity to get to know quite a few ADs over the years.  

Some of the best at working with media I encountered were:  

JD Lambert at Knoxville Central

Gary Terry at Anderson County 

Clark Duncan at South Doyle

Jody Wright at Fulton 

GQ at Maryville

Mark Duff when he was the AD at Powell

Jeff Thomas, recently retired at Gibbs

I know I left out some, but these guys were all particularly helpful and several are still good friends, even though I have been retired from media since 2017.  

Two first year ADs in Knox County that I feel like are going to have great futures and do good jobs are Dustin Mynatt at Gibbs (same last name, not closely related) and Adam Seymour.