Has George Quarles Been Exposed??

chs1984

3 hours ago, chs1984 said:

Mr. Barney I agree 100%. Coach Quarles was the runner-up at Chattanooga when they hired their current coach, but consistent with their history, they made the wrong decision. I did not mean this thread to show disrespect to Maryville or Maryville posters, particularly you, who along with Midtennfootball, are, to me, the most respected posters on this board.

Didn't take it disrespectable at all. Most of us Maryville posters on here knew him personally. Most of us also were shocked when he left because he had many opportunities earlier and didn't take them. He kind of led most of us to believe he had no interest being away from his family out recruiting and being tied up a hundred hours a week. I guess that's what shocked most of us when he left. All in all everyone of us wish him nothing but the best. Soon as he took the job players started jumping ship like they were on the Titanic which helped get ETSU to 3-8 more than GQ. No doubt in time he can do well there but I don't believe today's type fans will allow it.

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2022 at 8:21 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

This has nothing to do with GQ but for me ETSU lost all credibility many years ago when they abolished the football program over lack of support. To me personally GQ would stand a better chance at Chattanooga recruiting out of Georgia then Johnson City. Look at Science Hill High school for example, no one comes to the games. Seen to much on social media so far from fans there for GQ to have a fighting chance. Sanders got out and knew what he would lose if he came back for another year. Far as Maryville goes Derek Hunt is the coach and will be for long as he wants. I can't blame him for the lack of great athletes we once had which did show this year and to be back in the final four I would have called you a liar to your face but here we are again. Derek will have a lot of things to address this winter and some tough decisions to make but the pipeline isn't empty by no means. We've just never been down this avenue before and I'm sure he don't want to go down it anymore either.

If ETSU's only recruiting base is Johnson City, they'll continue to struggle. Much like any other FCS program that limited itself to recruiting to only city with a population of 70,000. None of which exist.

On 11/21/2022 at 11:16 PM, JSamson7 said:

He inherited a state championship program when he started then took it to another level. So yes, he certainly came out the door winning and kept on going until he decided to shut said door.

I wouldn’t say inherited they won it in 1998 and the last time was 1978. He came in 1999 and the rest is history. Problem  was Maryville got greedy the powers to be and when they did that to Gaylor in baseball well you see what happened.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rollnoles said:

I wouldn’t say inherited they won it in 1998 and the last time was 1978. He came in 1999 and the rest is history. Problem  was Maryville got greedy the powers to be and when they did that to Gaylor in baseball well you see what happened.

He came in 1995, stick to what you know (which is not much).

Edited by JSamson7

10 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

He came in 1995, stick to what you know (which is not much).

Lol have they started that new weight room facility you were talking about to help them win State Championships like you said. Lol it is over for Maryville you could tell the decline in them since he left GQ that is. Good run thou just if the powers to be didn’t get greedy.   

2 hours ago, rollnoles said:

Um he became head coach in 1999 and you played at Maryville. Wow you know your stuff.   

Did I stutter?? GQ came aboard as a coach in '95. Inherited what Hammontree set in place after the '98 season. The weight program had already been established by Hammontree before GQ's tenure took it to another level.

11 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Did I stutter?? GQ came aboard as a coach in '95. Inherited what Hammontree set in place after the '98 season. The weight program had already been established by Hammontree before GQ's tenure took it to another level.

Lol here let me help you out

After taking over the Maryville program in 1999, he went 10-7 in his first 17 games, which he followed with a mark of 240-9 (. 964). He was the winningest high school coach in America over the 10-year period (2007-16).

11 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Lol you say d they where going to build a better and bigger weight room.