Almost Twice as Easy to Win a Football State Title than Any Other Sport in TSSAA

sx1234

Since I am off work today, I took a way-to-deep dive into the new TSSAA classifications for next year. I found interest in seeing how many classifications there are for each sport (aka how many 'state champions' there are for each sport) compared to how many schools there are that compete in the TSSAA in that sport.  For simplicity's sake, I will focus solely on Division 1 (public schools).

In football, there are 298 teams and 6 classifications. This varies from each classification, but simple math would tell you that each school has a 2.01% of winning a state championship.  Those numbers seem very off when you look at basketball, baseball and softball- where there are 341 teams and only 4 classifications. Which means each school has only a 1.17% chance of winning a state championship.

Other Sports:

Track and Field- 264 Teams - 3 classifications = 1.14% chance to be a state champion 

Soccer: 260 Teams- 3 classifications = 1.15% chance to be a state champion

Volleyball: 304 teams- 3 classifications = 0.98% chance to be a state champion

Wrestling: 157 teams - 2 classifications = 1.27% chance to be a state champion

Cross Country: 260 teams = 2 classifications = 0.77% chance to be a state champion

Golf & Tennis: 284 teams = 2 classifications = 0.70% chance to be a state champion

Bowling: 131 Teams - 1 classification = 0.76% chance to be a state champion

Interesting footnote- Girls' Wrestling is the only sport that does not separate Division 1 from Division 2, nor does it create a A, AA, AAA  system.  There are a total of 130 schools that compete in girls' wrestling, and there is only 1 state champion (that has Title IX lawsuit written all over it for any parent that wants to push it lol).  So Maryville's girls, Alcoa's girls, Greeneville's girls, and Baylor's girls all compete for the same state title.... Now If only they had to do that in football

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

Since I am off work today, I took a way-to-deep dive into the new TSSAA classifications for next year. I found interest in seeing how many classifications there are for each sport (aka how many 'state champions' there are for each sport) compared to how many schools there are that compete in the TSSAA in that sport.  For simplicity's sake, I will focus solely on Division 1 (public schools).

In football, there are 298 teams and 6 classifications. This varies from each classification, but simple math would tell you that each school has a 2.01% of winning a state championship.  Those numbers seem very off when you look at basketball, baseball and softball- where there are 341 teams and only 4 classifications. Which means each school has only a 1.17% chance of winning a state championship.

Other Sports:

Track and Field- 264 Teams - 3 classifications = 1.14% chance to be a state champion 

Cross Country: 260 teams = 2 classifications = 0.77% chance to be a state champion

Golf & Tennis: 284 teams = 2 classifications = 0.70% chance to be a state champion

Interesting footnote- Girls' Wrestling is the only sport that does not separate Division 1 from Division 2, nor does it create a A, AA, AAA  system.  There are a total of 130 schools that compete in girls' wrestling, and there is only 1 state champion (that has Title IX lawsuit written all over it for any parent that wants to push it lol).  So Maryville's girls, Alcoa's girls, Greeneville's girls, and Baylor's girls all compete for the same state title.... Now If only they had to do that in football

Interesting footnote- instead spending all that time on math, maybe you should have learned a new dance move. 

image.gif.0a23c452a0c202e2d1aa28418949aad5.gif

The fly in the ointment in all of this is that the number of schools didn't change... The same number of schools exist top to bottom. Nat having a team in a sport is a school thing not TSSAA. TSSAA, didn't tell the school no you can't have an underwater basket weaving team... It is the schools prerogative to invest their tax dollars and funding into what they feel best fits their needs. 

On 11/22/2022 at 5:59 PM, Rockytoptomcat said:

High school is just like college, more money in football. Money hungry tssaa is getting all they can get. IMO there are to many classes in football. Some regions have 8 teams some regions have 5 teams. Makes scheduling darn near impossible for some teams! 

That was the underlying point of the post.  Looking at the numbers of the other sports, its clear that there is some type of system used to determine how many classifications are justified... However TSSAA just threw that out the window for Football and made up its own system to maximize profits.   

15 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

That was the underlying point of the post.  Looking at the numbers of the other sports, its clear that there is some type of system used to determine how many classifications are justified... However TSSAA just threw that out the window for Football and made up its own system to maximize profits.   

Until we get rid of coaches like the wrestling coach at Halls, other sports will never be treated equal.  

• 8 months later...
On 11/22/2022 at 1:43 PM, sx1234 said:

Other Sports:

Think the difference is other than basketball and maybe baseball no one cares about those sports. T$$AA as it were. More people watch football, more revenue. I doubt if there were 4-6 classifications for bowling the revenue would increase drastically. Also, a lot of the sports you listed are individual sports more than team sports.

Edited by JoeyC

It’s all a money grab for the T$$AA, they are such a lame duck body. I wish schools would form an alliance and pull out. They are worse than the NCAA, and that takes some pretty good corruption to achieve that. 

For too many year that bum Bernard Childress allowed the T$$AA to spiral downhill and now it is passed the point of no return.