LA coach Kevin Mawae

theawesomebro

Spillman was still impressive, Catholic gave up on the run early the d line and Spillman was a big reason why.  Beasley kid was very impressive.  2 int, td catch, and returned block kick for a td.  He has great speed.  He needs to have more touches on offense. #25 for Catholic was their best player.  Lipscomb d line was impressive as well.

On 10/13/2023 at 11:23 PM, Redskin15 said:

Spillman was still impressive, Catholic gave up on the run early the d line and Spillman was a big reason why.  Beasley kid was very impressive.  2 int, td catch, and returned block kick for a td.  He has great speed.  He needs to have more touches on offense. #25 for Catholic was their best player.  Lipscomb d line was impressive as well.

yeah the D is really their strength.  not sure why the team showed up this week but not last.  maybe they have some fight left in them after all.

both beasley and spillman will be wearing orange and white next year as of now!

theawesomebro, there is a whole lot of noise coming out of your camp about Mawae and next year. 

I still think he was set up for failure because LA could not keep up the influx of out of state transfers without the Dilfer camp draw. Dilfer figured out pretty quick when Ingle embarrassed him in the state final that he had to go get better players from the 4 corners of the earth to make up for the coaching deficit.

Mawae is not a circus performer and that is what these kids want these days. Coaching is irrelevant. All about the promotion.

I will say there is also noise coming from a couple other Nashville based AAA schools. Could be a fruit basket turnover in the middle region.

21 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

theawesomebro, there is a whole lot of noise coming out of your camp about Mawae and next year. 

I still think he was set up for failure because LA could not keep up the influx of out of state transfers without the Dilfer camp draw. Dilfer figured out pretty quick when Ingle embarrassed him in the state final that he had to go get better players from the 4 corners of the earth to make up for the coaching deficit.

Mawae is not a circus performer and that is what these kids want these days. Coaching is irrelevant. All about the promotion.

I will say there is also noise coming from a couple other Nashville based AAA schools. Could be a fruit basket turnover in the middle region.

yes, all true to a degree.  I think dilfer was a really good CEO which is what a head coach often ends up being.  not knocking the actual coaching but talking about how he made sure everyone was watching all the details.  if you came to the IMG game, you saw those details falling through the cracks.  however, a GREAT CEO sets up their successor for success.  this is common in the business world where the team is more like a cult of personality and ego than a well run machine.  IMHO, I think that is what we are seeing at LA.  

I do think there is something about getting buy in from the players that seems to be missing.  LA has the talent this year to be more competitive than they are.  we are clearly missing the offensive weapons of the last couple years but the chemistry is wrong and I dont if that will change over time with new kids coming up and in or if it will stay unhealthy.  smarter people than me will have to decide that.  

I think the promotion is just the way it is.  I like the quiet way some teams do it and think that is more a model for long term success than the in your face style we had for a few years. 

2 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

I completely agree that Dilfer was concerned about the "show."  But, what I'm not sure about is the talk about all of the out of state transfers.  That sounds like the boarding schools of Baylor or McCallie and we don't hear anything about that.  With the "global reach" talk you would think he'd would have been pulling in 4 and 5 stars or Elite 11 rising stars.  What players are we talking about that were the "influx of out of state transfers"?  In my opinion, this talk is missing the forest for the trees.  The coaching staff was next level. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

I completely agree that Dilfer was concerned about the "show."  But, what I'm not sure about is the talk about all of the out of state transfers.  That sounds like the boarding schools of Baylor or McCallie and we don't hear anything about that.  With the "global reach" talk you would think he'd would have been pulling in 4 and 5 stars or Elite 11 rising stars.  What players are we talking about that were the "influx of out of state transfers"?  In my opinion, this talk is missing the forest for the trees.  The coaching staff was next level. 

The coaching staff at Lipscomb with Trent Dilfer was probably the best high school staff ever assembled in Tennessee.  

• 3 weeks later...