Who made a better hire? Cleveland or Oak Ridge?

ILB1999

19 minutes ago, ILB1999WHS said:

OR used to be amazing.  They're still prettygood.  I'm personally of the belief that credentials don't always equal talent.  OR has a grad rate at 91%.  The entire county of Knoxville has a 90% rate.  The specific knoxville schools you mentioned are at 97-98%.  that's weird to me.  

You can't hide money! Everyone knows why those rates are higher at those schools since they sit in the most affluent areas of Knoxville.  When you have funds to get your kids that support, it will show up in those numbers. 

4 minutes ago, Swipes said:

You can't hide money! Everyone knows why those rates are higher at those schools since they sit in the most affluent areas of Knoxville.  When you have funds to get your kids that support, it will show up in those numbers. 

That’s exactly right. Oak Ridge has some poor areas, as to where Hardin Valley and Farragut are really affluent areas with a ton of money. It’s not hard to figure out.

6 hours ago, Swipes said:

You know my family was not affluent and my dad worked two jobs to support six people in our house. All of my siblings and l had no problem graduating from HS. Money is overrated in school, hard work and dedication is underrated.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

You know my family was not affluent and my dad worked two jobs to support six people in our house. All of my siblings and l had no problem graduating from HS. Money is overrated in school, hard work and dedication is underrated.

You’re correct, but it really helps when you have both! You’re talking to a poor fella here, so I ain’t taking up for money by any means. It’s just a fact that the more money you come from, the higher your chances are of succeeding in life. 

9 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

You’re correct, but it really helps when you have both! You’re talking to a poor fella here, so I ain’t taking up for money by any means. It’s just a fact that the more money you come from, the higher your chances are of succeeding in life. 

I really have never based my life on chance or statistics. If l did that l would be in jail or dead. Grew up with people that have done both. Best friend murdered at 20. Friends in and out of jail. People can overcome their circumstances. I have also seen people that l went to HS with that had total monetary support and potential and they are dead, in jail or down and out. Some how we have to get back to a old and lost American theory, Rugged Individualism.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

I really have never based my life on chance or statistics. If l did that l would be in jail or dead. Grew up with people that have done both. Best friend murdered at 20. Friends in and out of jail. People can overcome their circumstances. I have also seen people that l went to HS with that had total monetary support and potential and they are dead, in jail or down and out. Some how we have to get back to a old and lost American theory, Rugged Individualism.

Individualism has its pros and cons like anything, but that’s a whole other conversation altogether that could take a up a few pages. I get your viewpoint, and you’re right that some people can overcome their circumstances, but on average they don’t. You just can’t ignore statistics. I know there are other factors, but you just can’t.

Edited by SweetScience

1 hour ago, BigTime1950 said:

I'll bet the farm on the kid who works for what he gets over the kid who has it handed to him every time. I want the best for mine and for them to have it easier than I did...I have worked very hard behind the scenes to make what I gave them look easy at times but made sure at times that they understood what sacrifices were made for them to have it as easy as possible. Above all, they were taught that they usually got exactly what they earned and nothing more. We owe it to our youth to ensure that they're as ready as possible to be productive citizens when we hand them that diploma, and that means using the finances we have available as best we can for them, and that we should teach them the value of effort and focus on the future.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 11:49 AM, HTV said:

So, I will readily admit that I am biased, because Derek is still a good friend and I have never met Tygard.  But a have a good friend who knows him from covering his teams and tells me that Tygard is a really good football coach and a class act.  

But I can only speak to my opinion on Derek.  

Derek is a terrific coach as well.  And as I said before, he's the smartest football coach I have ever been around, and I was also around GQ.  Not saying he is going to have GQ success, that's just not realistic, nor that GQ wasn't smart.  He was and still is.  Derek has left every program he's been a part of better.  

I've often heard that he only had success at Powell because he had all of Matt's players.  And while Matt left the program in good shape, he didn't leave a lot of experienced players who had played when the games were on the line.  Matt's last team graduated 17 starters, including a running back who had set the state single season rushing yards record and rushing TDs record in a season and signed with an SEC school.  While he left some guys who had played, most hadn't really played when the game will in limbo.  

Derek did a great job that season at Powell.  He turned a guy who had started at WR his fist two years in to an all state QB and had a couple of 1,000 yard rushers on that team, or close to it.  I'd have to go back and look at the official stats that are on another computer  

And defensively Powell made a lot of progress during that year, and frankly, that was what got them to the semifinals.  

Bottom line - I've seen how he treats his coaches and players, and he wins football games.  What he's not is a bubbly personality who will stand around and have meaningless conversation when he could be working on football related things.  That doesn't mean he is boring and won't engage, but he's all business.  

Oak Ridge fans, give him an opportunity to work and he'll do fine.  I could see him having major success there.  

And same with Cleveland.  Have realistic expectations.  It's a different day in high school football in this state.  

I met Coach Rang the other night at the basketball game and my first impression was very favorable. I think he is going to win at Oak Ridge and be here for a while. He is the next generation coach that Oak Ridge needs.

• Upvote 1