TSSAA Individual State Discussion

WrestlingGod

1 hour ago, RaisingAbeast22 said:

That would be 6 months from basically now. The doctors usually say 6 - 12 months. 

6 months is more realistic. If he didn’t tear his meniscus he won’t need crutches and will be able to start conditioning in about 8 weeks. He’s had great friends to lean on and get advice from like Roark and Hunter Mason. He will rehab like heck to make sure he’s back by September. Like a college coach told him, you are a D1 athlete you need to train and rehab like one. He took that to heart. 

1 hour ago, desselle said:

6 months is more realistic. If he didn’t tear his meniscus he won’t need crutches and will be able to start conditioning in about 8 weeks. He’s had great friends to lean on and get advice from like Roark and Hunter Mason. He will rehab like heck to make sure he’s back by September. Like a college coach told him, you are a D1 athlete you need to train and rehab like one. He took that to heart. 

Not sure if you have heard about PRP but when Hunter tore his hamstring we believe that expedited his recovery. He’s tough and young he will be back in no time. Best of luck to you all 

On 2/24/2023 at 7:49 AM, cbg said:

With the population base in Tennessee there is absolutely no reason to have three divisions in wrestling.  It would be an absolute treat for the wrestling fans to see everyone back in one division for the individual state championship.  Even California, Indiana and New Jersey have one individual state champion.

I see this a totally different way because I think promoting the sport is much more important than having one state champ. Mainly because I love the sport and I think it build a tremendous amount of character and discipline if done correctly. Small schools don’t have the resources that large schools have nor do they have the population. Where small schools wrestle who they have in the weight classes, I know some of the larger schools may have 3 or more in each weight class. That is a distinct advantage to be able to train with a group close to the same weight as you. Not just one partner but multiple. It makes a difference. The small rural public schools also don’t recruit(which is a TSSAA violation but a lot still of schools still do it) . I know this is true because my cousin received an out of district scholarship to attend a neighboring school district. It just so happened she was a phenomenal softball player. Her brother was just an average athlete and still goes to the school in their district. Small schools usually don’t have the facilities or coaching staff to wow likely athletes to come there. A lot of the kids that wrestle for some of these schools have never even been to a class on the campus(virtual classes). High School sports used to be just that but now it is no different than college or pro. People are getting recruited to say they attend just so the school can brag about how good they are. Most of the small school athletes play multiple sports, not because they are trying to be superstars but because there aren’t enough athletes to play just one sport. If you want to kill participation in the sport instead of promoting it and promoting the love of it then have these small schools that may have 900 students total try to compete with schools that have 3000 students. Then there is the monetary issue. Most of these rural school districts are economically disadvantaged. The students do not have parents with the means for camps, private lessons, personal trainers, and nutritionist. I think it is awesome if some do because it will improve that kid tremendously but let’s not forget this is a school sport and the kids that fall in love with it will get more of their peers involved and grow the sport. I guess my point is what is the goal to grow the sport or to establish bragging rights?