University of Webb

ReitzFan

The University of Webb (Webb Bell Buckle) is being allowed to make an absolute mockery of the girls D2 A basketball tournament and season.  The Feet have only minimal players from the state of Tennessee on their roster. They feature a lineup of national and international players.  They have won 3 games by forfeit this season cause two schools did not want their teams to be humiliated with the inevitable beat down.

On Saturday,  the U of Webb will win its third straight state championship. Most likely, they will do so by 30 plus points.

It should raise all sorts of red flags in the TSSAA office when a team has a record of 4-17 during the  2019-20 seasons and is now on the verge of their 3rd straight D2A championship. Webb has gone 90-12 over the last 3 seasons and has lost only 3 games during that time to in state opponants. Webb has not lost to an in state opponant in almost 2 full seasons. It is sad when a school, or its boosters have basically bought and paid for 3 gold balls. Congratulations to the U of Webb. You must be so proud. It is my hope that the TSSAA would remedy the situation. Webb should at the very least move up in class or pull out of the TSSAA and play a national schedule. If something is not done, D2A schools should take care of things themselves.

Yes, red flags should be raised all over the TSSAA office concerning the U of Webb. Still, the TSSAA is instead worried about a tweet from Lipscomb. How typical.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine and mine alone. I would however be willing to bet the farm that my opinion is also how many schools, coaches, and fans feel if the truth be known.

9 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

The University of Webb (Webb Bell Buckle) is being allowed to make an absolute mockery of the girls D2 A basketball tournament and season.  The Feet have only minimal players from the state of Tennessee on their roster. They feature a lineup of national and international players.  They have won 3 games by forfeit this season cause two schools did not want their teams to be humiliated with the inevitable beat down.

On Saturday,  the U of Webb will win its third straight state championship. Most likely, they will do so by 30 plus points.

It should raise all sorts of red flags in the TSSAA office when a team has a record of 4-17 during the  2019-20 seasons and is now on the verge of their 3rd straight D2A championship. Webb has gone 90-12 over the last 3 seasons and has lost only 3 games during that time to in state opponants. Webb has not lost to an in state opponant in almost 2 full seasons. It is sad when a school, or its boosters have basically bought and paid for 3 gold balls. Congratulations to the U of Webb. You must be so proud. It is my hope that the TSSAA would remedy the situation. Webb should at the very least move up in class or pull out of the TSSAA and play a national schedule. If something is not done, D2A schools should take care of things themselves.

Yes, red flags should be raised all over the TSSAA office concerning the U of Webb. Still, the TSSAA is instead worried about a tweet from Lipscomb. How typical.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine and mine alone. I would however be willing to bet the farm that my opinion is also how many schools, coaches, and fans feel if the truth be known.

It’s truly a boarding school issue.  They don’t have to play on a level field.  A transfer doesn’t have to sit out like they would anywhere else unless there is a bona fide change of address. If this rule is changed the pipeline to Webb will stop.  It goes on at the other boarding schools as well.  What have you accomplished by beating a final 8 team by 60 on Friday and a final 4 team by 50 today?  Both teams were solid high school teams with 20 plus wins!  I would suspect they will beat MTCS by 30 or more on Saturday!  Nobody in the state can compete with an International team that has 8 Division one players!  Teams shouldn’t be getting beat by 50 or more in the Final 8 and beyond.  Schools need to step up and petition the TSSAA for new rules.  They should play a national schedule like the IMG’s and Montverdes of the world. 

Edited by Intense
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigOrangeBaller said:

Or your respective schools need to do a better job recruiting kids. That's why you are all in the D2 division anyways... 

Or you can learn the Tssaa rules and that D2 even though private can not recruit.  You must have missed the entire LA probation that just happened for breaking the TSSAA for a recruiting

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

Look at what Baylor and McCallie are doing in football and Baylor is doing in wrestling.  In wrestling it was reported that Baylor only had one starter out of 14 weight classifications from Tennessee and that was a boarding student from upper east Tennessee.  The TSSAA has got to get control of the boarding schools and how kids are eligible that transfer into them with an athletic record.  This very topic was brought up to the TSSAA Board of Control and they voted down changing the rules.  As it stands now the boarding schools are doing nothing illegal according to the TSSAA rule book.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

Hey Stan,

Your knowledge of the rules and boarding situations, like your broadcasts, have a lot to be desired. Stan is just out here "Stanning" for TCA.

St. Andrews Suwannee has nearly a roster FULL of international players, but they are WINLESS on the year. Seems that people only care about boarding when the teams are good. 

I believe in Webb's case half the roster is local residence of TN and half are boarders from out of state and even out of the country. Boarding is a change of residence in the eyes of the TSSAA... Much cheaper for an out of country student and family to move to Knoxville and play at any local city/county school, rather than to pay boarding tuition at Baylor or Webb. 

Also, you realize that boarding schools have to follow the same rules as other private schools. 25 mile rule, bonafide change of residence etc... It just happens that if a student MOVES to TN to enroll at one of the boarding schools that is the BONAFIDE CHANGE OF RESIDENCE!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Intense said:

It’s truly a boarding school issue.  They don’t have to play on a level field.  A transfer doesn’t have to sit out like they would anywhere else unless there is a bona fide change of address. If this rule is changed the pipeline to Webb will stop.  It goes on at the other boarding schools as well.  What have you accomplished by beating a final 8 team by 60 on Friday and a final 4 team by 50 today?  Both teams were solid high school teams with 20 plus wins!  I would suspect they will beat MTCS by 30 or more on Saturday!  Nobody in the state can compete with an International team that has 8 Division one players!  Teams shouldn’t be getting beat by 50 or more in the Final 8 and beyond.  Schools need to step up and petition the TSSAA for new rules.  They should play a national schedule like the IMG’s and Montverdes of the world. 

I just checked Webb's unapproved website. It appears they do play a "national schedule"... La Jolla, Montverde, IMG, Hoover, LaLumiere, McDonough, Sidwell Friends, Crestwood Prep, Lake Highland Prep, DME, etc all top 25 national powers in girls basketball over the last two years.

3 hours ago, cbg said:

Look at what Baylor and McCallie are doing in football and Baylor is doing in wrestling.  In wrestling it was reported that Baylor only had one starter out of 14 weight classifications from Tennessee and that was a boarding student from upper east Tennessee.  The TSSAA has got to get control of the boarding schools and how kids are eligible that transfer into them with an athletic record.  This very topic was brought up to the TSSAA Board of Control and they voted down changing the rules.  As it stands now the boarding schools are doing nothing illegal according to the TSSAA rule book.

I think this is evident that the independent school market is really looking for quality education as well as quality extracurricular offering. Obviously Baylor Wresting, Baylor Football, McCallie Football, and Webb Girls' Basketball are doing that an attracting top tier young men and women to their schools. Maybe TCA and others ought to step up their offerings.

20 minutes ago, TheREALslimshadey said:

Hey Stan,

Your knowledge of the rules and boarding situations, like your broadcasts, have a lot to be desired. Stan is just out here "Stanning" for TCA.

St. Andrews Suwannee has nearly a roster FULL of international players, but they are WINLESS on the year. Seems that people only care about boarding when the teams are good. 

I believe in Webb's case half the roster is local residence of TN and half are boarders from out of state and even out of the country. Boarding is a change of residence in the eyes of the TSSAA... Much cheaper for an out of country student and family to move to Knoxville and play at any local city/county school, rather than to pay boarding tuition at Baylor or Webb. 

Also, you realize that boarding schools have to follow the same rules as other private schools. 25 mile rule, bonafide change of residence etc... It just happens that if a student MOVES to TN to enroll at one of the boarding schools that is the BONAFIDE CHANGE OF RESIDENCE!

You are incorrect.  The family has to have a bona fide change of address if a student transfers to any school that is not a boarding school.  This is the boarding school advantage.  The family does not have to have a bona fide change of address.  Not a level playing field.  Can’t blame them for using the rules to their advantage.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Intense said:

You are incorrect.  The family has to have a bona fide change of address if a student transfers to any school that is not a boarding school.  This is the boarding school advantage.  The family does not have to have a bona fide change of address.  Not a level playing field.  Can’t blame them for using the rules to their advantage.  

*"in the eyes of the TSSAA"*

Also, might want to sit back and watch the fireworks... One of the charter members of the TSSAA was Baylor, a boarding school. I bet they have heavy influence on what goes on.