Schools Still looking for a Coach

SSHawks12

9 hours ago, TheCommissioner said:

It’s incredible to me that so my schools have openings.  What do you attribute that to?

Last year, we had over 100 head coaching openings. I have no idea what the number is so far this year, hopefully somebody will know. 

Few things: A) we got coaches are being selfish and coaching for themselves and not the "kids." Even though they will tell the media they're coaching for the "kids." Two people I think are Tyler Turner and Morgan Cruce. Turner was at Liberty for 3 years, than one of the Panola schools in MS (outside of Memphis) for 3 years, than Goodpasture for 1 year, down at Jackson, MS for a year, and now he's at a school in the Little Rock area. Cruce was a head coach I think at Gibson County, then he went to a school in Arkansas, and then I think went to Bethel for a year and coached there, Henry County and coached there for a season, then he went to Brighton and was the head coach for one year, and now he is at Univ. of North Alabama where he is an assistant coach, reunited with Brent Dermon. There are two of them on top of my mind that are always "looking" for jobs at the end of season and not being happy and content with where they're at and building that program.

b) I don't think schools are as patient with a coaching process and development (I can usually tell at the end of year 2 if a coach is "good" or not). C) Simply politics within the school and the school system. D) coaches will likely leave for another position if they don't feel like they're being compensated enough. Whether if that's facility upgrades or somewhat of a pay raise. If a team is being fully successful on the field and the players are doing well in the classroom and off the field, and the school system isn't doing something nice (like new uniforms, weight room upgrades, new upgrades, etc.) to reward the program, then a coach may sit then and say "the heck with this" and go somewhere else. I do think coaches spend a lot time away from their own families during the fall, and they just want the appreciation to be there. Those are just some of my ideas.

Edited by TryNotToSuck

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Last year, we had over 100 head coaching openings. I have no idea what the number is so far this year, hopefully somebody will know. 

Few things: A) we got coaches are being selfish and coaching for themselves and not the "kids." Even though they will tell the media they're coaching for the "kids." Two people I think are Tyler Turner and Morgan Cruce. Turner was at Liberty for 3 years, than one of the Panola schools in MS (outside of Memphis) for 3 years, than Goodpasture for 1 year, down at Jackson, MS for a year, and now he's at a school in the Little Rock area. Cruce was a head coach I think at Gibson County, then he went to a school in Arkansas, and then I think went to Bethel for a year and coached there, Henry County and coached there for a season, then he went to Brighton and was the head coach for one year, and now he is at Univ. of North Alabama where he is an assistant coach, reunited with Brent Dermon. There are two of them on top of my mind that are always "looking" for jobs at the end of season and not being happy and content with where they're at and building that program.

b) I don't think schools are as patient with a coaching process and development (I can usually tell at the end of year 2 if a coach is "good" or not). C) Simply politics within the school and the school system. D) coaches will likely leave for another position if they don't feel like they're being compensated enough. Whether if that's facility upgrades or somewhat of a pay raise. If a team is being fully successful on the field and the players are doing well in the classroom and off the field, and the school system isn't doing something nice (like new uniforms, weight room upgrades, new upgrades, etc.) to reward the program, then a coach may sit then and say "the heck with this" and go somewhere else. I do think coaches spend a lot time away from their own families during the fall, and they just want the appreciation to be there. Those are just some of my ideas.

On 3/6/2023 at 4:10 PM, TheTruthHurts22 said:

A myriad of things beginning with coaching compensation in most places in TN, why coach here when you can go to pretty much every other state around us including KY and get compensated much better for actually coaching with way less responsibilities. They just want you to win and get results.

Another reason is just look who is in charge of hiring in your schools system stuff like the fiasco in Greenback that happens every year somewhere. Sometimes people in charge supports say the Basketball and Baseball teams because they are winning programs and the Football team is just a casualty of other sports success. Hard to talk yourself into taking over a 2-8 team or worse when you know they don’t have much in the pipeline. I’ve seen a lot of reasons it honestly depends on the school and community, unfortunately this is going to continue to be a problem just like getting enough officials is going to be unless they start compensating them more. 

Is there a possibility this is a reflection of fewer young adults choosing teaching as a career as well?

Edited by TheCommissioner

7 minutes ago, TheCommissioner said:

Is there a possibility this is a reflection of fewer young adults choosing teaching as a career as well?

Totally, especially coaches,  the main perk of being a teacher is having summers off. Coaches hardly get that luxury if you want to compete year in and year out you have to put the work in. Another reason why there have been so many openings everyone is looking for a quick easy payday and not interested in building their own brand anymore. I hope it gets better, but it’s definitely trending the opposite direction. 

On 3/6/2023 at 12:14 PM, TheCommissioner said:

It’s incredible to me that so my schools have openings.  What do you attribute that to?

There are several things than can be attributed to having so many head football coaching openings. 1.  Many times the expectations at the school are totally unrealistic. 2.  Coaches are expected to do much more than just be a coach and in other states if they are good they are allowed to just coach.  3.  Most of the time the school district will not allow the head coach to hire a completely  new staff.  This is like hiring a great chef but telling them they must use poor ingredients. It never works!  Like Bill Parcels once said, if he is going to cook the meal he wants to do the grocery shopping.  4. Most of the times those doing the hiring don’t have a clue as to how you should hire a coach and their egos are so large they refuse they to ask those individuals that know what it takes to win for help.  In there eyes if you ask for assistance it is a sign of weakness so they just screw up the hiring process.  When I told a school board member how many hours a coaching staff and players must put in during the offseason just to have an opportunity to win a state championship she informed me that no one should be required to work that hard.  Plan and simple, she didn’t hate to lose more than she liked to win.

• 2 weeks later...