Worst two weeks of the year.

fredjones

23 hours ago, fredjones said:

The "dead period".  

Let me start by saying that I personally disagree with the dead period and feel that it punishes the programs that wish to outwork their competition.  With that being said the "DEAD PERIOD" is here to stay in Tennessee.  However, if we must have it why not take the first two (2) weeks of June off or the last two weeks before beginning Fall training camp?  As it stands the teams work hard and in the middle of the offseason, they are forced to take a two-week break.  My preference would be to take the last two weeks before preseason practice begins.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cbg said:

Let me start by saying that I personally disagree with the dead period and feel that it punishes the programs that wish to outwork their competition.  With that being said the "DEAD PERIOD" is here to stay in Tennessee.  However, if we must have it why not take the first two (2) weeks of June off or the last two weeks before beginning Fall training camp?  As it stands the teams work hard and in the middle of the offseason, they are forced to take a two-week break.  My preference would be to take the last two weeks before preseason practice begins.  

Agree, plus most college camps are not available during this window which is a time kids should go for evaluation and work . 

39 minutes ago, cbg said:

I believe the dead period is  necessary, but I agree that the first 2 weeks in June would be better. Fans may hate it, but football is a year around sport now,  players and coaches alike need time to recharge

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

I believe the dead period is  necessary, but I agree that the first 2 weeks in June would be better. Fans may hate it, but football is a year around sport now,  players and coaches alike need time to recharge

agreed.  I dont have a strong opinion on when but I know my kid and his friends have a hard time squeezing in vacations, church camps, college visits and just normal kid stuff without these 2 weeks.  HS football is a grind.

Edited by theawesomebro

30 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

All sports have turned into year around sports. I hate it. I wish athletes would play all the sports. I think the hyper focus on individual sports causes injury and a lot of time causes athletes to lose interest in whatever sport they are doing year around. There are seasons for a reason. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

All sports have turned into year around sports. I hate it. I wish athletes would play all the sports. I think the hyper focus on individual sports causes injury and a lot of time causes athletes to lose interest in whatever sport they are doing year around. There are seasons for a reason. 

It should be encouraged for all kids to participate in two or three sports.  The problem is that the football coaches don’t want to share the athletes and the parents buy into the BS that the kid is going to get a scholarship.  While people may have hated the man, Carlton Flatt (Brentwood Academy) was the best at making his football players multi sport athletes.  They played football and then if they were not on the basketball team they lifted weights and then went into the wrestling room for practice.  In the Spring if they were not playing soccer or baseball they lifted weights and then went to track & field practice.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Checking in on here for football news itself feels like the dead period started after the last ball game in December. 90% of the teams out there in Tennessee have no one with a voice on here. You have to get on here and rattle somebody's cage to get anyone to talk anymore.

message boards are for old people.  everyone else is arguing on twitter-gram neither of which i give 2 craps about.  i'm going to go complain about how people dont know how to drive on nextdoor.  see, i'm old, too?