Cornersville @ Forrest

dawgswin

A WIN IS A WIN

I could dissect the multiple ridiculous events that happen within EVERY Coach Eli game…

·         4 lineman being drawn offsides AFTER A TIMEOUT on 4th and 4 for Cornersville

·         Multiple delay of game or near delay of game because it take Coach Eli an eternity to decide what play to call, so the play clock is counting down to expiration while Rockets are still in the huddle.

·         Overall disheveled-ness thruout.

This almost went a different way. Forrest was on their heels 14-3 and tempers were flaring all around. 4 turnovers at least.

But I’m not going negative. It was a win.

So let’s talk about what was good.

1.       The kids. On BOTH teams. Gutty. Cramping left and right (I was looking for Lane Kiffin on Cornersville’s sidelines. Kids were going down after every play). Hot and awful conditions and I am certain the ball felt like a hot greasy turkey right out of the oven. Lots of dropsies all night. But overall, the kids were extremely tough for both teams.

2.       Ben Franklin. Let’s be COMPLETELY honest. As much as he dragged players for 10-15 yards several times, he is NOT a 35 carry-a-game back. His body is physically taxed by the battering he takes each game. He went down with cramps half a dozen times. But he is tough as nails and a great athlete, and kept coming back in, after I thought he was done, at least twice. Great blocker. A psychotic tackler when he was in on defense. I’m a fan.     

3.       Liam Bell. This Forrest team is #6’s team. His spirit, running, tackling, and sheer grit and will are why Forrest won this game. As he goes, they will go this season. Toughest runner not named McClendon this school has seen in a long time.

4.       His brother, Eli. Great footwork and makes things happen.

5.       Aidan Cantrell. A battlefield promotion to QB, and this kid did a pretty good job. I like his arm. If they can continue to work with him I think Forrest will be ok. The kindler gentler General talking here.

6.       Fletcher Fields. He broke loose for a TD, and he is the fastest kid at The Rock since Jacob Daughrity. He might be even faster. He hit the edge and was GONE. I am baffled that Forrest cannot figure out how to use that speed thruout a game. I’m no Bill Walsh, but here’s what I would do: I’d put him in the slot. Call me crazy, but run him on short routes, and GET HIM THE BALL IN STRIDE. He’s Cooper Kupp-esque to me. What he might lack in height he more than makes up for in speed. I’m not sure any defender on the schedule will be able to stay with him. You get him the ball in space and he will score at least 2 TDs a game. I guarandangtee it.

Cornersville played hard. Woodard was another kid who stuck out in a positive way for them.  Good luck the rest of the way to them.

Sept 1
Forrest at Community
Cornersville hosts Collinwood

Also, Forrest's very undersized D did it's job, especially at the end, and also on Franklin. 

The O Line has some work to do in the running game, but pass blocking was not terrible and I'd bet they will improve as the season goes on. 

The missed extra point was baffling but I still feel Forrest has one of the best kickers in the state in 2A. All but one kickoff thru the endzone.