Greeneville livestream policy?

B-Ball Fan

2 hours ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

My understanding of TSSAA live-streaming policy is that the state playoffs are off limits for streaming by anyone other than HFHS. Maybe a local media outlet can pay to stream. Feel free to correct me. Since we do not livestream I am unaware of the full procedures. All I know is that the TSSAA does not expect any school to allow a visiting livestream although they do encourage host locations to allow radio and/or delayed broadcasts for video coverage.

You are incorrect as far as post season streaming goes. We stream our games on Facebook during the regular and post season. Unfortunately, we have to pay the TSSAA extortion fee each week to do so. The only way we cant video stream is if the school we are playing at uses the sub standard NFHS network. We are allowed to audio stream at an NFHS school and dont have to pay rights fees as the TSSAA treats audio streaming as radio.  Many schools are now not affiliated with radio stations anymore and use Facebook and You Tube to broadcast with. You can give any reason you want, but it is bush league for ANY school to not allow another school to broadcast their games back to their fans. There is no regular season rule from the TSSAA on weather or not a school can disallow a visiting school from video streaming. Thus there is no expectation from them. You are incorrect there as well. If a school denies an entity the ability to video  live stream a game for the visiting school, that is all on the host school. The TSSAA has no say at this time during regular season. It is just a bush league move that might come back to bite the offending school the next year. Here is another tidbit for you. Let's say your school does not allow another schools outlet to live stream during the regular season. We already know that to be true in y'alls case. During the post season, if a broadcast intity came to video livestream a game at your school, and they were an NFHS school, you would be required to allow the live broadcast and you would have to allow it without receiving a rights fee. Knowing the TSSAA broadcast rules is knowledge.

Edited by ReitzFan

7 hours ago, B-Ball Fan said:

Reitzfan, I don’t think they’d ever do that since radio broadcasters are allowed from Kingsport and Elizabethton. 

Rodgerdodger,  you could be right, but it makes no sense. Both of those games will be standing room only, whether it’s on tv or not. Also, if Greeneville was doing this only because of the gate, why would they agree to be the game of the week on WCYB for the same game? I know that they’ve allowed WCYB to broadcast the home Elizabethton game  before. 

Many schools dont have radio stations to broadcast their  games and rely on streaming to get their games out there. If your school were to  deny my schools  broadcast entity the ability to bring a game to our fans live, Id be inclined to return the favor to your radio broadcast the next year. It is just wrong for any school to be so petty  to not allow another school the ability to have a game broadcast live back to their fans.

I’ll take it back to a previous conversation. As a broadcaster that does road exclusively I’ve experienced every level of hospitality imaginable. And at no point have I “returned the favor.” All of my media colleagues realize that any campus guidelines are just those, campus guidelines. Any conversations can be had between those in charge. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, B-Ball Fan said:

Not sure if it’s been discussed or not(hopefully, I haven’t  posted about it before), but why doesn’t Greeneville allow other broadcasters to live stream their football games?  

The exception to this is the FRIDAY NIGHT RIVALS, broadcast from WCYB or WVLT.  I know that Dobyns-Bennett makes their games(home & away) available on you tube. Also, Tom Taylor will livestream the Elizabethton games. 
Both have been unable to livestream from GHS, and both have mentioned that GHS wouldn’t allow it. 
This is great for the fans that can’t make the trip, or older fans that can’t get around, or for inclement weather situations.

I honestly can’t think of a good reason for them to stop this. It seems petty, or extremely arrogant, or both. I can’t think that it’s due to a loss of gate revenue, because the Elizabethton and DB Hanes are packed anyway.  Does WGRV have enough say in the matter to be the roadblock? 

Is anyone on here aware of the reason from a reliable source?

It may have already been answered.  But they do allow audio..   I think the reason they can’t livestream is the contract with NFHS.  

3 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

Many schools dont have radio stations to broadcast their  games and rely on streaming to get their games out there. If your school were to  deny my schools  broadcast entity the ability to bring a game to our fans live, Id be inclined to return the favor to your radio broadcast the next year. It is just wrong for any school to be so petty  to not allow another school the ability to have a game broadcast live back to their fans.

Are you an AD or school official?

2 hours ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

That would be correct. Schools are afraid it will take away from the attendance. It's been going on since before internet streaming was a thing though. We've had places, many years past, that would not allow live radio broadcasts due to the fact that they were afraid it would hurt the attendance. Tape delay was fine, but no live broadcasts of any kind.

It's the same way in the playoffs. If you want to video the games then you have to pay TSSAA for the right. Even people doing the Facebook live thing aren't allowed to in the playoffs 

Ive broadcast playoff games via livestream on Facebook during the post season. Just have to pay the extortion fee. Even have to do it for home playoff games too. Only way we have been denied is if school is NFHS. Even then, we can audio stream and be treated as a redio station.

12 minutes ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

That’s an outstanding question.

Are schools still having to buy the cameras or are the TSSAA/NFHS now offering the cameras for free?

At one time, the school's were being given the cameras. But, I was told that you could only use the NFHS/TSSAA approved companies to install them. Again, hearsay, but I heard that it wasn't cheap to have them install and you weren't allowed to do it yourself.

Again, all hearsay.  Plus, this was all during covid when everything was crazy.

2 hours ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

Looking at the document, I like that the policy puts a fee that goes to the tournament director.

In my opinion, the only group that loses on a livestream is the host school. The visiting media and visiting school are the recipients of the sponsorships that come from the broadcast while the host school receives nothing from the broadcast in the regular season. In addition, the host school loses ticket sales, concessions, and tax revenue from fewer people coming to the community.

The rights fee is collected by the game administrator. As it is considered as part of the gate receipts,  the host school certainly does benifit and the TSSAA gets their cut of that.

1 minute ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

At one time, the school's were being given the cameras. But, I was told that you could only use the NFHS/TSSAA approved companies to install them. Again, hearsay, but I heard that it wasn't cheap to have them install and you weren't allowed to do it yourself.

Again, all hearsay.  Plus, this was all during covid when everything was crazy.

True.

The first time I went to TSSAA meetings and heard about the NFHS Network, there was a gentleman offering the cameras for sale. Within a couple of years the schools were being offered them for free with a contract to join the NFHS. Not sure if they are back to being at a cost. Our facilities are equipped with the cameras but they are used for filming practices and games to be used across the board by the programs using the gym and stadium.

22 minutes ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

I’ll take it back to a previous conversation. As a broadcaster that does road exclusively I’ve experienced every level of hospitality imaginable. And at no point have I “returned the favor.” All of my media colleagues realize that any campus guidelines are just those, campus guidelines. Any conversations can be had between those in charge. 

It is just wrong on every level for a host school to deny visiting media the right to broadcast live. Ive got nothing agai st you as a broadcaster. My problem would be with the school. S far as "returning the favor" goes, that is just my personal opinion, nothing more. We should all be able to do our jobs without paying rights fees or having schools being affraid of losing some gate receipts. Heck, if a school were affraid of losing gate, why allow home radio? Schoo k s lis gate from that too.