Greeneville livestream policy?

B-Ball Fan

2 hours ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

Per the TSSAA media regulations last season, if the TSSAA or NFHS selected the game then no other group can Livestream.

B. Any school that is a member of the NFHS Network School Broadcast Program (“SBP School”) has ther rightto broadcast both a live and on-demand Internet video broadcast of any TSSAA state playoff eventt thatthe NFHS Network has not selected for its own broadcabroadcast.

So, if the NFHS did not select this for it's own broadcast and if the other group is an NFHS broadcast crew, then they should have been allowed.

If they do not use an NFHS broadcast, then it is up to the host school and They would have to pay the host school game director $750.

E. Any media entity or school wishing to Internet stream or tape delay broadcast any post-season event that is not being carried by the NFHS Network must get approval from the host school.

1. If such permission is granted for a live Internet stream for the football playoffs, a fee of $750 will be paid to the game director and shall be included as part of the gate receipts. 

2. If such permission is granted for a 24-hour tape delay telecast for the football playoffs, a fee of $250 will be paid to the game director and shall be included as part of the gate receipts. 

Also, before a game is videostreamed by either the home or visiting school during the post season, permission must FIRST be granted by the TSSAA.  There is an order as to how things need to be done. 

Good work quoting the rule. 

19 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

Also, before a game is videostreamed by either the home or visiting school during the post season, permission must FIRST be granted by the TSSAA.  There is an order as to how things need to be done. 

Good work quoting the rule. 

True, there is an application now that has to be filled out and turned in at least 3 days before the game.

22 hours ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

Looking at the document, I like that the policy puts a fee that goes to the tournament director.

I could be wrong here, and I probably am, but I think the tournament director has to turn the broadcasting money in with his gate receipts. I don't think he/she gets to keep any of it, so unfortunately it doesn't do anything for them. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

12 hours ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

I could be wrong here, and I probably am, but I think the tournament director has to turn the broadcasting money in with his gate receipts. I don't think he/she gets to keep any of it, so unfortunately it doesn't do anything for them. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The 750.00 rights fee is considered part of the gate. It is divied up just like gate money. It's sad when a host school has to pay themselves in order to video stream a plaoff game unless they are NFHS

22 hours ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

Per the TSSAA media regulations last season, if the TSSAA or NFHS selected the game then no other group can Livestream.

B. Any school that is a member of the NFHS Network School Broadcast Program (“SBP School”) has ther rightto broadcast both a live and on-demand Internet video broadcast of any TSSAA state playoff eventt thatthe NFHS Network has not selected for its own broadcabroadcast.

So, if the NFHS did not select this for it's own broadcast and if the other group is an NFHS broadcast crew, then they should have been allowed.

If they do not use an NFHS broadcast, then it is up to the host school and They would have to pay the host school game director $750.

E. Any media entity or school wishing to Internet stream or tape delay broadcast any post-season event that is not being carried by the NFHS Network must get approval from the host school.

1. If such permission is granted for a live Internet stream for the football playoffs, a fee of $750 will be paid to the game director and shall be included as part of the gate receipts. 

2. If such permission is granted for a 24-hour tape delay telecast for the football playoffs, a fee of $250 will be paid to the game director and shall be included as part of the gate receipts. 

That is for sure covering anything that has to do with the playoffs, but it doesn't say anything about regular season games.  Also, going off your NFHS broadcast crew, it would have to be done officially by the school and that school would have to be part of the NFHS broadcast program.

https://cms-files.tssaa.org/documents/tssaa/media/MediaRegulations.pdf

That's the best I can find but everything is in regards to the playoffs, but if I am going off of this it looks like a home school can make whatever rules they want for broadcasting during the regular season.

9 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

That is for sure covering anything that has to do with the playoffs, but it doesn't say anything about regular season games.  Also, going off your NFHS broadcast crew, it would have to be done officially by the school and that school would have to be part of the NFHS broadcast program.

https://cms-files.tssaa.org/documents/tssaa/media/MediaRegulations.pdf

That's the best I can find but everything is in regards to the playoffs, but if I am going off of this it looks like a home school can make whatever rules they want for broadcasting during the regular season.

That is correct. During the regular season, it is up to the host school's game director, which is usually the principal or AD. We had somehow, or least I had somehow drifted from regular season to playoff regulations. 

I'm the original poster on this topic.  It has created a lot of discussion, and a lot of it is geared around the playoffs,

For my discussion, I was only referring to the regular season.  I know there is a lot more to consider when discussing the playoffs, but the regular season should be pretty simplistic.

1 hour ago, B-Ball Fan said:

I'm the original poster on this topic.  It has created a lot of discussion, and a lot of it is geared around the playoffs,

For my discussion, I was only referring to the regular season.  I know there is a lot more to consider when discussing the playoffs, but the regular season should be pretty simplistic.

Seems like the answer is during the regular season, whoever is hosting makes the rules of who can or can't livestream.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

That is correct. During the regular season, it is up to the host school's game director, which is usually the principal or AD. We had somehow, or least I had somehow drifted from regular season to playoff regulations. 

Here is a real sticking point as far as post season video streaming goes.

Let's say there is a playoff game between 2 non NFHS schools and both want to video stream. Both broadcast ontganizations or schools would have to pay the game administrator 750 each.  Then at the ladt minute, the NFHS decides to make  th e game between 2 non NFHS schools their game of the week. Well, the NFHS gets priority and both schools individual streams are kicked out even if they were willing to pay a higher fee. It's crazy the stranglehold the NFHS has over schools who are not members. And it is wrong!

12 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

Seems like the answer is during the regular season, whoever is hosting makes the rules of who can or can't livestream.

Fortunately, most schools dont mind having someone videostream their games. They realize that it is exposure for the school that they were not going to get otherwise. It's hard to put a price on video exposure for a team and a school. Video streaming does not really hurt the gate. There has never been a study to prove otherwise. Videostreaming does expose a team to a fanbase or group of people who would otherwise not be able  to see a game otherwise. Heck, my small company does video streams of middle school games and I have had viewers in South Africa, Canada, and one year Taiwan.  Not to mention viewership all over the USA. I will share that at 2 different homes games of the school I call games for thus year, there will be 3 different streaming services on site to broadcast. And the crowd will be SRO to boot.

It's principals and AD's who are still living in the dark ages that are anti streaming

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

Fortunately, most schools dont mind having someone videostream their games. They realize that it is exposure for the school that they were not going to get otherwise. It's hard to put a price on video exposure for a team and a school. Video streaming does not really hurt the gate. There has never been a study to prove otherwise. Videostreaming does expose a team to a fanbase or group of people who would otherwise not be able  to see a game otherwise. Heck, my small company does video streams of middle school games and I have had viewers in South Africa, Canada, and one year Taiwan.  Not to mention viewership all over the USA. I will share that at 2 different homes games of the school I call games for thus year, there will be 3 different streaming services on site to broadcast. And the crowd will be SRO to boot.

It's principals and AD's who are still living in the dark ages that are anti streaming

I’m not disagreeing with you in regards to exposure, and I’m not disagreeing that it’s a good thing for the school.  I’m just saying the school is going to have to make a choice of who can do what and if they want a cut.  For NFHS schools, they are getting a piece of each person who buys a game.  Now for Facebook or YouTube, that I saw really happen in 2020 and 2021, anyone can set up a camera and go to town.  I’d want to know a few things if this were going on:

1.  Who is streaming, where will it go to?  Is it up forever?  

2.  Are we just streaming a game or is there commentary?  Are we going to allow someone to come into a game and absolutely trash the school as commentary?  If we only let you stream, does that mean we need to let anyone do the same?

3.  Are you making money off of us playing a game and you streaming?  Fundraiser forms here we go.  Is the stream for a purpose where someone is paying you to do it?  It’s a school systems copyright, where is our cut?

4.  Are you representing our school?  Do we even know who you are?

5.  If we lost game film would you share your stream and let us use it?  Maybe we don’t want your film up for other teams to use watch and get more info?

6.  are we breaking privacy via district board policy?  FERPA is a thing so a school system may be scared of that, you never know.  

Again, I think streaming is great for a variety of reasons and it is awesome to just load up games and watch.  , but there are a lot of things a school system may be considered.  You assumed it’s principals and ADs, what if this came from a central office?  I feel like a lot of this post would be cleared up just by calling a school systems head of athletics and asking why.

and since I am talking $$$ wait for bout 3 -4 more years when Hudl is really pushing Focus for streaming and $$$ so that the days of YouTube twitch Facebook are simply done. You wanna watch pay us $15 bucks.

• Like 1