Greeneville livestream policy?

B-Ball Fan

On 8/20/2023 at 4:14 PM, ReitzFan said:

Many schools dont have radio stations to broadcast their  games and rely on streaming to get their games out there. If your school were to  deny my schools  broadcast entity the ability to bring a game to our fans live, Id be inclined to return the favor to your radio broadcast the next year. It is just wrong for any school to be so petty  to not allow another school the ability to have a game broadcast live back to their fans.

I can download an app and listen to most local radio stations. I live in Knox County now and listen to Greeneville games on WGRV via Tunein.  Your previous comment said Greeneville denied visiting media the right to broadcast.  That is not entirely true. They do not allow live video streaming. It is their policy and it is applied with equity.  Perhaps your schools broadcast entity should be in an audio format. 

5 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

I’m not disagreeing with you in regards to exposure, and I’m not disagreeing that it’s a good thing for the school.  I’m just saying the school is going to have to make a choice of who can do what and if they want a cut.  For NFHS schools, they are getting a piece of each person who buys a game.  Now for Facebook or YouTube, that I saw really happen in 2020 and 2021, anyone can set up a camera and go to town.  I’d want to know a few things if this were going on:

1.  Who is streaming, where will it go to?  Is it up forever?  

2.  Are we just streaming a game or is there commentary?  Are we going to allow someone to come into a game and absolutely trash the school as commentary?  If we only let you stream, does that mean we need to let anyone do the same?

3.  Are you making money off of us playing a game and you streaming?  Fundraiser forms here we go.  Is the stream for a purpose where someone is paying you to do it?  It’s a school systems copyright, where is our cut?

4.  Are you representing our school?  Do we even know who you are?

5.  If we lost game film would you share your stream and let us use it?  Maybe we don’t want your film up for other teams to use watch and get more info?

6.  are we breaking privacy via district board policy?  FERPA is a thing so a school system may be scared of that, you never know.  

Again, I think streaming is great for a variety of reasons and it is awesome to just load up games and watch.  , but there are a lot of things a school system may be considered.  You assumed it’s principals and ADs, what if this came from a central office?  I feel like a lot of this post would be cleared up just by calling a school systems head of athletics and asking why.

and since I am talking $$$ wait for bout 3 -4 more years when Hudl is really pushing Focus for streaming and $$$ so that the days of YouTube twitch Facebook are simply done. You wanna watch pay us $15 bucks.

I will be happy to try and amswer using my own experience.

1 In my case, me and my partner of 15 years now work for an independent streamer who broadcasts games for multiple schools and colleges. The games can be viewed by anyone  with internet access. We don't charge the public to view.  Yes.

2  the organization i work with employees multiple announcers who have well over 100 years of radio, tv, and streaming experience at the college and HS level. It is common courtesy to accomodate broadcasters from other schools, radio, streaming, or regular tv.

3  The streaming  company i work for is a business. Every business wants to make a profit just like any radio station does. We negotiated the right to broadcast our schools games with the administration. We are not paid by the school nor do we charge them a fee. We employee sales people who go out and sell advertising to pay the bills, just like a radio station does.The schools do not charge us a rights fee to broadcast the games. Is your attitude the same for radio. If we were not broadcasting, the schools would have no coverage. I can't imagine a school wanting to refuse media coverage

4  yes when broadcasting we are representing the school. personally i have broadcast football for the school15 years and basketball 18 years. I also broadcast baseball and have done softball as well. We are well known in our community and it is well known who we broadcast for. The school I work for has seen me through 2 heart attacks and many other health issues. I'd go to war for my school.

5 our producer is a high ranking school employee and the camera man was a student last year and a parent this year. Our film is what the team uses as its game film. They have a copy of the film before I'm out of the parking lot. You do realize most schools now use Hudl. The film is already up there. Anyone with a Hudl account can view it. Only way to stop is not be on Hudl. That is how most coaches get film. The days of tape exchanges is over. 

6 I have no idea what FERPA is. Wouldn't it also be a concern for radio. How about when state championship games are broadcast for public consumption.

Hudl is not a streaming service. It exists as a scouting and recruiting took. NFHS does broadcasts (without announcers in not cases as its an automated camera). We don't charge people to view our broadcasts. Sponsors pay the bills just like radio broadcasts do. Many schools already require payment to watch. It's called NFHS. In the town i live in, the private schools games are all broadcast by the same company. The public schools have given broadcasting rights to 2 different radio stations for radio and streaming purposes.

It is common courtesy for the host school to allow the visiting schools broadcasters to do their job. Only the post season is regulates by the TSSAA. If a hoard of schools started not allowing broadcasters to call games, I'm sure the TSSAA would step in. They realize the value of media exposure of all types. Nobody seems to have a problem with radio broadcasts. Video streaming companies are no different  except we use pictures and words. We happen to use Facebook as our live broadcast platform. We also upload to You Tube. We could just as easily broadcast using an APP.  Many companies do. Also there are many schools who broadcast games themselves.

Hopefully I answered your questions. Iappologize for the post length but I wanted to be thourough in my reply to your questions.  

Have a blessed day.

1 minute ago, barb said:

I can download an app and listen to most local radio stations. I live in Knox County now and listen to Greeneville games on WGRV via Tunein.  Your previous comment said Greeneville denied visiting media the right to broadcast.  That is not entirely true. They do not allow live video streaming. It is their policy and it is applied with equity.  Perhaps your schools broadcast entity should be in an audio format. 

As I recall from an earlier post,  Greenville did allow an area tv station to do a live game broadcast. If they allow that, why not video streaming? Did you know that during the playoffs,  if a visiting team  comes to  Greenville to play, want to stream and they are NFHS, it does not matter what your schools streaming policy is, they have to allow it per TSSAA rules. Fortunately, there are very few schools like Greenville who deny a visiting schools media outlet the right to broadcast. Did you know that many radio stations are doing away with sports broadcasting as radio becomes more corporate and automated? Streaming is what schools are embracing these days. There are lots of streaming choice out there including professional streaming companies, smaller companies in the field, individual schools and in most states cases, the NFHS. If a school denies a visiting schools media the right to broadcast in a form that the visiting school has chosen, then that school has its head in the sandwich. It's just not a good look. It could also lead a school to bar Greenvilles announcers when they go on the road. Fortunately, the vast majority of schools in the state don't see things the way Greenville and a small minority of schools do when it comes to streaming. Streaming is a good thing. Jump on board.

32 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

As I recall from an earlier post,  Greenville did allow an area tv station to do a live game broadcast. If they allow that, why not video streaming? Did you know that during the playoffs,  if a visiting team  comes to  Greenville to play, want to stream and they are NFHS, it does not matter what your schools streaming policy is, they have to allow it per TSSAA rules. Fortunately, there are very few schools like Greenville who deny a visiting schools media outlet the right to broadcast. Did you know that many radio stations are doing away with sports broadcasting as radio becomes more corporate and automated? Streaming is what schools are embracing these days. There are lots of streaming choice out there including professional streaming companies, smaller companies in the field, individual schools and in most states cases, the NFHS. If a school denies a visiting schools media the right to broadcast in a form that the visiting school has chosen, then that school has its head in the sandwich. It's just not a good look. It could also lead a school to bar Greenvilles announcers when they go on the road. Fortunately, the vast majority of schools in the state don't see things the way Greenville and a small minority of schools do when it comes to streaming. Streaming is a good thing. Jump on board.

It's GreenEville, not Greenville. Put some respect on it lol.

9 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

I will be happy to try and amswer using my own experience.

1 In my case, me and my partner of 15 years now work for an independent streamer who broadcasts games for multiple schools and colleges. The games can be viewed by anyone  with internet access. We don't charge the public to view.  Yes.

2  the organization i work with employees multiple announcers who have well over 100 years of radio, tv, and streaming experience at the college and HS level. It is common courtesy to accomodate broadcasters from other schools, radio, streaming, or regular tv.

3  The streaming  company i work for is a business. Every business wants to make a profit just like any radio station does. We negotiated the right to broadcast our schools games with the administration. We are not paid by the school nor do we charge them a fee. We employee sales people who go out and sell advertising to pay the bills, just like a radio station does.The schools do not charge us a rights fee to broadcast the games. Is your attitude the same for radio. If we were not broadcasting, the schools would have no coverage. I can't imagine a school wanting to refuse media coverage

4  yes when broadcasting we are representing the school. personally i have broadcast football for the school15 years and basketball 18 years. I also broadcast baseball and have done softball as well. We are well known in our community and it is well known who we broadcast for. The school I work for has seen me through 2 heart attacks and many other health issues. I'd go to war for my school.

5 our producer is a high ranking school employee and the camera man was a student last year and a parent this year. Our film is what the team uses as its game film. They have a copy of the film before I'm out of the parking lot. You do realize most schools now use Hudl. The film is already up there. Anyone with a Hudl account can view it. Only way to stop is not be on Hudl. That is how most coaches get film. The days of tape exchanges is over. 

6 I have no idea what FERPA is. Wouldn't it also be a concern for radio. How about when state championship games are broadcast for public consumption.

Hudl is not a streaming service. It exists as a scouting and recruiting took. NFHS does broadcasts (without announcers in not cases as its an automated camera). We don't charge people to view our broadcasts. Sponsors pay the bills just like radio broadcasts do. Many schools already require payment to watch. It's called NFHS. In the town i live in, the private schools games are all broadcast by the same company. The public schools have given broadcasting rights to 2 different radio stations for radio and streaming purposes.

It is common courtesy for the host school to allow the visiting schools broadcasters to do their job. Only the post season is regulates by the TSSAA. If a hoard of schools started not allowing broadcasters to call games, I'm sure the TSSAA would step in. They realize the value of media exposure of all types. Nobody seems to have a problem with radio broadcasts. Video streaming companies are no different  except we use pictures and words. We happen to use Facebook as our live broadcast platform. We also upload to You Tube. We could just as easily broadcast using an APP.  Many companies do. Also there are many schools who broadcast games themselves.

Hopefully I answered your questions. Iappologize for the post length but I wanted to be thourough in my reply to your questions.  

Have a blessed day.

A few things.

1.  Yeah it sounds like you are doing everything on the up and up so that a school would be happy to bring you in so that's pretty cool.  I know some people come out and are broadcasting/radioing it up so I have to wonder is the school getting a cut, is it part of revenue if they are selling advertising, or was it just the opportunity.  I think either is fine and I get it that streaming/radio have to make money too.  Again, I think streaming high school games for the exposure is great and more schools need to do it.

2. Hudl is not a streaming service yet.  With the advent of Focus going into every single gym and football stadium, hudl would be stupid if they did not try to do live streaming.  I know that already they can hook into NFHS broadcasting already, but that's through another company that gets a cut.  Hudl wants money, and they already have equipment in schools that can really open up that revenue for them and the school.  If hudl said hey, we will do a $15 livestream or VOD and we will give the school half, you can guess what a school might do.  Also, I think NFHS has a way to work advertising in, possibly local, to bring in more revenue, but it's been a few years since I heard that conversation so I am not sure.  Either way, hudl controlling streaming so they get a bigger cut of money is coming, it makes no business sense for them not to when they are getting their equipment hooked up in more and more high schools.

3.  If a hoard of schools did not allow broadcasters to come in, the TSSAA wouldn't do anything in my opinion.  Schools would respond in kind.  If 6 other schools didn't want to broadcast in my conference, you can be dang sure I will because now everyone will be looking to my school if they want to watch games.  The regular season is up to the school, TSSAA wants their cut from everything in the post season.  It's been this way forever.  While the TSSAA is sending officials for all games during a season, I don't think they have any say so about who does media during a season.  They want to leave as much as they can for a host school to take care of.  If this information is out there I'd love to see it because yesterday we only had media rules for playoffs, which is where the TSSAA makes their $$$.  I think the TSSAA looks at the regular season as another thing they won't have to manage so that'll be up to the school, but as far as post season, they want their money from as many sources as possible.

10 hours ago, barb said:

A question that I'd like to ask you...Does Greeneville videostream home games themselves or do they just allow radio? Why exactly does Greeneville not allow a visiting schools broadcasters to video livestream? Please don't just say it's their policy. Tell use why it's policy. I'd love for the person who started this thread to get an answer to their question they originally asked.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

A question that I'd like to ask you...Does Greeneville videostream home games themselves or do they just allow radio? Why exactly does Greeneville not allow a visiting schools broadcasters to video livestream? Please don't just say it's their policy. Tell use why it's policy. I'd love for the person who started this thread to get an answer to their question they originally asked.

You need to call GHS for your answer.

4 hours ago, noonesfool said:

You need to call GHS for your answer.

I'm not the one who originally asked the question.  Heck, I am already quite sure of the reasoning. It's silly and not a good look for any school to do that. I was just participating in the conversation with relevant information.  That is all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1