DB @ West Ridge WK3

DBKPT93

On 8/28/2023 at 1:56 PM, BigDaddyDave said:

Here’s a question everyone seems to be avoiding. Does DB make a change at QB? The offense is struggling. Everyone on here talks about the D being stout and the O lagging. So, does anyone think a change might spark the O? 

Maybe a change in coaching staff. 

On 8/28/2023 at 7:44 PM, BigDaddyDave said:

Is that because the play calling is off, or because the play calling is limited because of the QB play? I hear he’s a real good kid. Maybe he’s just not ready yet or needs a larger sample size. If WR isn’t all that, he may have a chance to gain some confidence in his play. If he doesn’t perform well in this game though, I think the writing is on the wall. It’s a lot of pressure for a teenager to have on his shoulders, and remember, these are just kids playing a game. I would never put a kid down. Just looking at this from different angles. Everything is better when EHS, Science Hill and DB are all relevant. Besides, I don’t want the “having a down year” excuse when Betsy comes to town. Good luck going forward.

Betsy is relevant yes but until the others make it past Maryville in the playoffs I'm not calling the other two relevant. Also, no DB has never had balls under the current staff calling offense or defense. They play a conservative brand of football.

On 8/29/2023 at 8:15 AM, KPTwrestlingfan said:

I think it'd probably a combo of things. DB honestly hass been pretty conservative the last few years but they've also had a good group of backs to feed. Like I mentioned above I didn't watch the Farragut game so I can't talk about it, but I just wonder if the coaches didn't want to get into a track meet with Greeneville, so they tried to take the air out of the ball. The one deep ball they threw was a pretty good ball, if Hurd can somewhat consistently throw it that way then I don't see why the coaches wouldn't let him throw it more.

DB, like most R1 teams, is too slow to get in a track meet with anybody. But unlike, say Boone, it is more due to failure to pull athletes out of the school.

On 8/29/2023 at 10:21 AM, BigDaddyDave said:

I will admit, ball control is a good way to keep the ball out of the opponent’s hands. But you have to finish drives or at least flip the field to your advantage. That’s how we beat them in the playoffs in 21. Ball control and D. 

I think the issue is they don't have any particular athletes at running back or wide receiver most years. The closest they got were the kids they had in 2020 and 2019, but they weren't enough to win state. They need to be more balanced because they don't have that X factor player when it comes to actual good teams(which WR is prolly not). Not sure why they don't pass the ball down the field more.

Edited by JoeyC

1 hour ago, JoeyC said:

I think the issue is they don't have any particular athletes at running back or wide receiver most years. The closest they got were the kids they had in 2020 and 2019, but they weren't enough to win state. They need to be more balanced because they don't have that X factor player when it comes to actual good teams(which WR is prolly not). Not sure why they don't pass the ball down the field more.

You’d think they would be tired of always being on their heels and start attacking! Betsy Will ALWAYS choose to receive the kickoff and set the tone, putting the other teams on their heels. 

17 hours ago, JoeyC said:

Good lord. You’ve aired out all your grievances yet? You said you played a few years ago. With all your issues about things it seems that you were more just on the team than actually on the field on Friday nights

41 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

Super fast game with DB getting their first win.  Closer than usual but I think DB has the dudes to get the win.

If West Ridge wins......man....... just..... maaaaaannnnnnnnn that ain't good.

DB has won 56-14 & 28-14 so I can't really see WR pulling out the win based on recent history. 

22 hours ago, JoeyC said:

Measuring sticks are hard for this one. Dobyns-Bennett has been on a decline starting in the 2021 season. They failed to capitalize on great athletes in the 2019 and 2020 seasons. This year they lost to a below average Farragut team, but they tied a good Greenville team. West Ridge curb stomped Volunteer, but that doesn't really say much. They beat Daniel Boone who is probably similar to DB this year. Much like their later games against Jeff County, and unlike their later games against Science Hill, both teams prolly match well against each other. Thinking a close game, but since West Ridge is a new program I'm giving DB the edge.

Farragut beats DB and Knox Powell back to back and they are below average? And comparing Boone to DB? No offense to Boone, I love the blazers but that's crazy. This won't be close. Refer back to this tom night

35 minutes ago, timcraw said:

Farragut beats DB and Knox Powell back to back and they are below average? And comparing Boone to DB? No offense to Boone, I love the blazers but that's crazy. This won't be close. Refer back to this tom night

Beating West Ridge isn't impressive. If they don't win by at least 40 DB is mediocre at best.

Edited by JoeyC