Upperman vs Macon Co

crow6424

1 hour ago, crow6424 said:

I went to school with a lot of their parents in the 90’s at Upperman. So I know where most of the kids roots are.

That state championship baseball team in 2021 for UHS had like 9 dads that also won state dlfor UHS back in '91 and '93. I seen the post floating around on FB. And most of those kids also played football. 

1 hour ago, Nontypical said:

Next year uppermen will be 5a. In three years they will be 6A. Hundreds and thousands moving to that area daily plus they get cookevilles culls. The only thing that might save them is i heard they are fixen to build another high school in that area in the next few years. 

True on another HS but won't probably be open till 2026 or 2027. Just now getting the road widened. And UHS is behind Macon, Crossville, White, and Stone in enrollment, so it has at least 3-4 years before they would be in 5a. My guess is Cookeville, The New Cookeville, Upperman will all be in 5a playing each other with White, Stone, Crossville eventually. And soon Monterey will be up to 4a by then. 

8 hours ago, crow6424 said:

Right

This isn’t your daddies Upperman football program. We are no longer just a basketball and baseball school. We are good at all three sports. You better get used to it!!!!

Upperman has gotten better recently at football and they have a good program. However they are not on the girls basketball programs level yet. Neither are they on the baseballs teams level either 

On 8/28/2023 at 7:57 PM, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Lmao lol excuses never a good look 

Not an excuse!  Facts! I happen to know to many people in the area that have told me of players that live in city limits of cookeville and go to baxter. Never said it was breaking rules but it's clearly and unfair advantage to other schools.

But if your impressed with an all star team beating a regular school so be it but I am not impressed at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mofojoe said:

Not an excuse!  Facts! I happen to know to many people in the area that have told me of players that live in city limits of cookeville and go to baxter. Never said it was breaking rules but it's clearly and unfair advantage to other schools.

But if your impressed with an all star team beating a regular school so be it but I am not impressed at all.

I know people like that also.  However, you do realize that Cookeville city limits are only about 4 miles from Upperman High don't you?  That's much closer than driving to Cookeville High.  We have a Cookeville zip code.  Can be at Upperman in 5-7 minutes, four to five times as long to get to Cookeville, depending on traffic.  It's not Baxter, Cookeville, or Monterey school system, it's Putnam County and most go to the closest school, no matter what city limits they live in.

Edited by VictoryFormation

8 hours ago, VictoryFormation said:

I know people like that also.  However, you do realize that Cookeville city limits are only about 4 miles from Upperman High don't you?  That's much closer than driving to Cookeville High.  We have a Cookeville zip code.  Can be at Upperman in 5-7 minutes, four to five times as long to get to Cookeville, depending on traffic.  It's not Baxter, Cookeville, or Monterey school system, it's Putnam County and most go to the closest school, no matter what city limits they live in.

Now explain the ones on the other side of Cookeville that live closer to Cookeville HS. I go there regularly and only see UHS signs in town or people’s yards never anything Cavalier related at all. 

1 hour ago, Khall555 said:

Now explain the ones on the other side of Cookeville that live closer to Cookeville HS. I go there regularly and only see UHS signs in town or people’s yards never anything Cavalier related at all. 

There are kids that live closer to Upperman that go to CHS. I’ve known some in the past that live 5 miles from Upperman and they went to Monterey. It’s Putnam County. As far as yard signs go how do you know it’s not a grandparent living there? Or a relative? 

On 8/29/2023 at 1:10 PM, VictoryFormation said:

Understood, thanks Swipes.  With Upperman, I think the jelly factor gets magnified a bit because they were the whipping boy for so long.  I think in the two years before Ben Herron took over they won a total of two games, and each one of those was over Pickett County.  Outside of that, they weren't very competitive.  I believe Ben said his first spring practice there were like 19 players.  Within about three years, that number was closer to 100 and they've continued to build the program.  However, I'm sure there are some around who still wish Upperman was the team you scheduled for your homecoming win.

Uhs was good in the 90s.....I don't know about before then.  

21 hours ago, mofojoe said:

You realize it's not Baxter high school? It's Upperman, which is a western Putnam County area high school. Cookeville zip codes come within a mile of the school, city limits around 3 miles from the school. Complaining about kids on the west side of Cookeville going to UHS is like complaining that ever kid in Lebanon doesn't go to Lebanon, some go to Wilson Central and Watertown depending on there location. 

Again, there are 9 divisions in football, how many divisions do we need to make things 100 % equal for you? 10, 12, 20? 

And what is a regular school? Both school are open enrolled but have bus zones. Which means buses go to particular schools based on zones, but open enrolled so parents can provide own ride to any school outside thier zone long as there is capacity. Works the same for Macon and Putnam.  I have known kids from the Trousdale side of Hwy 10 who have played at Macon. It happens.  Do you suggest we have schools not divided by enrollment, but by if the are rual, sorta rual, sort urban, or really urban, or how many resteraunts are within 10 miles of the school?  Putnam population gets distorted somewhst when you throw in 13k Tennessee Tech students, who don't have kids playing ball in HS.  But, last time I checked, those really urban public schools in Nashville stink in football for the most part. What happened to Glenn Cliff and Hunters Lane advantages? 

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Khall555 said:

Bottom line, if you win, jealousy will follow from competitors. Also, if you win, kids will seek out and play for your program.  When Shoulders was at RBS and winning, Lafayette wasn't,  some Lafayette kids played at RBS. When the stud qb from Hermitage Springs/RBS chose his school, he came to Macon HS not Clay Co or RBS. It's part of it. No one in Macon was belly aching and talking about fairness when he was running up and down the field. 

Macon hasn't been stable in coaching until recently. That's why they have improved. Lots of politics and daddy ball in the past.  And now Macon gets most, not all, but most of the good athletes to play football. There total numbers are still low for 4a, depth is always an issue, but the program keeps improving.  It lessens your team when you always belly ache about so called advantages others have. 

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan
Spell
  • Like 1