Springfield @ Henry County

JacketLover

I’m surprised no one has started this thread before now. It’s always hard to win in Paris, and it will be for this young Jackets team. Henry County is coming off a big win over Riverdale while Springfield took one on the chin in losing to Clarksville. 

I just want to see some improvement from the Springfield offense with some sustained drives. There were no first downs made in the second half vs Clarksville and the undersized defensive line got worn down by the CHS running game. Clarksville seemed like they had the ball 75% of the second Half. 

I bet the Patriots are licking their chops while watching the Clarksville film vs Springfield. I will be happy to be in the ball game in the second half. This Jacket team will fight to the very end, but this week they have a big mountain to try to climb. 

10 hours ago, MSURacer said:

What's been the Jackets' main turnover issue? I remember your Greenbrier thread said something about snaps being a problem. Did that continue against Clarksville? 

Snaps were better against Clarksville. CHS pooched the opening kickoff behind our front line and it basically dropped between three players, and they recovered in the ensuing melee. We fumbled one kickoff in the second half after receiving another pooch kick. Our returner was loose with the ball.

There was at least one more fumble if I recall, but IMO our biggest opportunity against Clarksville was our offensive ineptitude in the second half. It’s hard to win games when you’re down 7 beginning the third quarter, and you don’t make a first down in the entire second half. 

22 hours ago, JacketLover said:

I’m surprised no one has started this thread before now. It’s always hard to win in Paris, and it will be for this young Jackets team. Henry County is coming off a big win over Riverdale while Springfield took one on the chin in losing to Clarksville. 

I just want to see some improvement from the Springfield offense with some sustained drives. There were no first downs made in the second half vs Clarksville and the undersized defensive line got worn down by the CHS running game. Clarksville seemed like they had the ball 75% of the second Half. 

I bet the Patriots are licking their chops while watching the Clarksville film vs Springfield. I will be happy to be in the ball game in the second half. This Jacket team will fight to the very end, but this week they have a big mountain to try to climb. 

100% Agreed. Really just want to see improvement on the offensive side of the ball, can’t win games not scoring points or moving the ball.  Defense looked good considering the tough spots they were in during the first half against Clarksville. Just growing pains of a very young Jackets team in a rebuilding year. Just have to tell myself not many of these guys have seen varsity action and especially against the type varsity players they’ve been seeing. Not going to lie and predict an upset victory in this one, just really want to see improvement all around against a very good and talented HC team. 

Not sandbagging, but I still believe the Jackets are capable of winning this game, and I have little doubt they will eventually right the ship. They are well-coached and always play hard. But this is one year I am glad we get them early. I believe HC is a clear favorite, but we still have to prove we can be consistent. We were very up and down in the preseason, and we are a pretty young team ourselves. Luckily, our coaches are good about hammering the importance of all region games into our players. I hope the message sticks this week.