Covington at Dyersburg: September 1, 2023

3 hours ago, Dp81 said:

Just to clarify, i am not against a run heavy offense, just more than 9 pass attempts in a game. You can pass the ball more than that and still be run heavy. Yes, both have been very successful with their preferred offense but the Chargers have yet to win a gold ball and D-burg has yet to win the semis. Lets face the facts, neither team (no matter the hype) will get past Alcoa (possibly not even semis)  with their style of offense unless a team is just unbelievably stacked, which i highly doubt either team is that stacked. I wish both teams the best! I know it will be a battle! I do feel that one of these teams will be in the semis at least. 

Dyersburg is deservedly hyped but Covington will be Covington. 

Go Chargers!

Doesn't matter what offense you trot out there, the chances of beating Alcoa are next to none. Being run-oriented with a good defense allows a team to shorten a game while trying to keep their defense rested, giving them the best chance to be in it at the end. If teams wanted to get on Alcoa's level they need to start with playing legit 6A programs like they are.

19 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Doesn't matter what offense you trot out there, the chances of beating Alcoa are next to none. Being run-oriented with a good defense allows a team to shorten a game while trying to keep their defense rested, giving them the best chance to be in it at the end. If teams wanted to get on Alcoa's level they need to start with playing legit 6A programs like they are.

^^^This^^^

21 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

SM poll is pure garbage. You'd be better off going old school witch doctor style...throwing chicken bones on the ground.:rolleyes:

Witch Doctor GIFs | Tenor

Now, here's how this game goes......

Covington better bring a couple of Energizer Bunnies....just to have enough spark to get back on the bus after the beatdown their going to get!:thumb: 

Keep Going Never Stop GIF by Energizer Bunny - Find & Share on GIPHY

It is interesting that an Alcoa fan is slamming Covington. Personally, I think it’s because Alcoa has 8 straight championships, but the two championships y’all won over Covington were not blowouts like the other 6 wins you had. We actually competed. Here’s how the scores went with the team you beat, the score, and the margin of victory:

2022 E. Nashville 45-16 (19 points)

2021 E. Nashville 45-14 (31)

2020 Milan 35-0 (35)

2019 Pearl-Cohn 27-0 (27)

2018 Covington 21-14 (7)

2017 Covington 31-20 (11)

2016 Liberty Magnet 45-12 (33)

2015 CPA 20-0 (20)

Now we lost, but we were able to stay close. The 2018 game was tied inside of 2 minutes, and y’all did score to get the win. What I’m saying is that Covington is not scared to play Alcoa and I think that we have been able to hold our own versus y’all. At least we did not suffer a beat down like y’all put on these other 6 teams

Edited by CHARGERFAN

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

I agree! And yes Alcoa is a machine (but not unbeatable). However all i am stating is that "my Chargers" (and Dburg) need to have enough of a threat to pass the ball to keep defenses guessing. Right now, no more than either team throws the ball, the only guess is which way are they running. 

2 minutes ago, Dp81 said:

I agree! And yes Alcoa is a machine (but not unbeatable). However all i am stating is that "my Chargers" (and Dburg) need to have enough of a threat to pass the ball to keep defenses guessing. Right now, no more than either team throws the ball, the only guess is which way are they running. 

I imagine both programs do have some plays in mind if they play Alcoa, but might not want those plays on film. You can be balanced in more ways than one. Using the whole field horizontally can stress a defense out just as much as doing it vertically 

2 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

It is interesting that an Alcoa fan is slamming Covington. Personally, I think it’s because Alcoa has 8 straight championships, but the two championships y’all won over Covington were not blowouts like the other 6 wins you had. We actually competed. Here’s how the scores went with the team you beat, the score, and the margin of victory:

2022 E. Nashville 45-16 (19 points)

2021 E. Nashville 45-14 (31)

2020 Milan 35-0 (35)

2019 Pearl-Cohn 27-0 (27)

2018 Covington 21-14 (7)

2017 Covington 31-20 (11)

2016 Liberty Magnet 45-12 (33)

2015 CPA 20-0 (20)

Now we lost, but we were able to stay close. The 2018 game was tied inside of 2 minutes, and y’all did score to get the win. What I’m saying is that Covington is not scared to play Alcoa and I think that we have been able to hold our own versus y’all. At least we did not suffer a beat down like y’all put on these other 6 teams

Too bad Dyersburg and/or East Nashville going to cut the chargers season short again! :thumb:

Alcoa would have blown that average all to pieces the last 4 years! :lol:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dp81 said:

Dyersburg has 3 plays sweep left sweep right up the middle

2 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

Too bad Dyersburg and/or East Nashville going to cut the chargers season short again! :thumb:

Alcoa would have blown that average all to pieces the last 4 years! :lol:

I posted facts. You had to resort to posting speculation.

Listen, Covington is not a West Tennessee All-Star team. We recruit only those players who come out of our Middle School. You won’t see us in the finals every year, because when you play with home-grown talent, some teams are better than others. That’s why Covington High has played for the State Championship 6 times, but has never won in 6 tries.  

What I can say is that history shows we will never back down or quit. There are hundreds of teams in our state who would love to be the runner-up for the state championship. We have been there 6 times.

21 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I posted facts. You had to resort to posting speculation.

Listen, Covington is not a West Tennessee All-Star team. We recruit only those players who come out of our Middle School. You won’t see us in the finals every year, because when you play with home-grown talent, some teams are better than others. That’s why Covington High has played for the State Championship 6 times, but has never won in 6 tries.  

What I can say is that history shows we will never back down or quit. There are hundreds of teams in our state who would love to be the runner-up for the state championship. We have been there 6 times.

Dyersburg would love to get a silver ball !!!