Football on the Plateau is dying

imakebigputts

On 8/29/2023 at 5:50 PM, UpperCumberlandMan said:

What reason is Stone better in most sports than Cumberland is? Any thoughts? 

A couple of reasons:

#1 Cumberland’s principal until recently was not a sports guy. The former guy would actually work to hurt the teams and school spirit. Example: Pep Rallies were very rare and when they were done the classes were separated into their own sections and not allowed to sit together. Plus he didn’t do a great job hiring or keeping good coaches. 

#2 Facilities!! Have you ever been to Jets stadium? It’s one side seating for a 4A school and the track around the field is falling apart. 

With open zoning the best players all go to Stone where they have everything they need 

Edited by Khall555

On 9/2/2023 at 10:21 AM, Khall555 said:

A couple of reasons:

#1 Cumberland’s principal until recently was not a sports guy. The former guy would actually work to hurt the teams and school spirit. Example: Pep Rallies were very rare and when they were done the classes were separated into their own sections and not allowed to sit together. Plus he didn’t do a great job hiring or keeping good coaches. 

#2 Facilities!! Have you ever been to Jets stadium? It’s one side seating for a 4A school and the track around the field is falling apart. 

With open zoning the best players all go to Stone where they have everything they need 

Simular to Cookeville and UHS. Money always flows to Cookeville. Bees play in 4a in a 1a facility. Fortunately for the Bees, Cookeville is a political mess with suspect coaching. Bees coaching and local support has made the diffrence. But I understand where Cumbetland county comes from. Hard to build success without administration support. 

14 hours ago, kingofthenorth said:

Stone Memorial coaches have zero discipline. So if you want to act a fool and have zero repercussions you go to Stone.

I guess that subject to opinion on which side you see it from. They get wins, and we all know, winning cures all.

If left with a choice of a little poor sportsmanship and 9-1, or great sportsmanship and being 1-9.....we all know the choice most people will take. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

I guess that subject to opinion on which side you see it from. They get wins, and we all know, winning cures all.

If left with a choice of a little poor sportsmanship and 9-1, or great sportsmanship and being 1-9.....we all know the choice most people will take. 

Well of course I am choosing winning, but I have been around a ton of successful programs that have won CHAMPIONSHIPS. That doesn't fly within those programs. By championships I mean the gold ball. I see it from a spectator in the stands and it's a bad look. It's also about turning boys into men.

On 9/3/2023 at 3:58 PM, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Simular to Cookeville and UHS. Money always flows to Cookeville. Bees play in 4a in a 1a facility. Fortunately for the Bees, Cookeville is a political mess with suspect coaching. Bees coaching and local support has made the diffrence. But I understand where Cumbetland county comes from. Hard to build success without administration support. 

My Daughter played 2 sports at CC and the lack of support was a constant complaint from all the coaches. The only successful sport was Girls Basketball and even they wanted to have the lights out and music during intros and he said no. 

Hopefully things will change with the new principal who was a Jet baseball player and played in college and the minor leagues. He was also at Harriman when they won the boys basketball championship. The football stadium just saw a major upgrade (due mainly to local businesses) also. The community support is here for the kids. Thankfully that hasn’t gone away.

Edited by Khall555
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, kingofthenorth said:

Stone Memorial coaches have zero discipline. So if you want to act a fool and have zero repercussions you go to Stone.

The football team loves to get “chippy” when they are losing. Stone has good kids (I have coached them in summer softball) but the football team is very cocky at times and the coaches let it happen.