Battle of Champions - Alcoa at West

WestHigh4Life

24 minutes ago, ILB1999 said:

Flag on the play.  Failure to mention the numerous private schools in knoxville recruiting from the AE zone.  Replay the down.

Plenty of the Private schools do as well, but they at least are doing it legally. I don't care when a private schools recruits. Now back when schools like Catholic and CAK were playing public ball and still recruiting that is what really grinds my gears. Every time I hear 99.1's John Wilkerson say "Catholic won ___ state championships while playing public ball". Then he follows up with their record since being in private ball it makes me glad someone is still putting out the travesty some schools had to deal with previously and rubbing it in that Catholic can only compete when they get to recruit and the other schools do not.

19 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

Plenty of the Private schools do as well, but they at least are doing it legally. I don't care when a private schools recruits. Now back when schools like Catholic and CAK were playing public ball and still recruiting that is what really grinds my gears. Every time I hear 99.1's John Wilkerson say "Catholic won ___ state championships while playing public ball". Then he follows up with their record since being in private ball it makes me glad someone is still putting out the travesty some schools had to deal with previously and rubbing it in that Catholic can only compete when they get to recruit and the other schools do not.

Nailed it.  Really took some gold ball opportunities away from area teams.  That was BS

As for this ballgame, I will take the West Refs, I mean West Rebs.  Just kidding BC.

Edited by oridgecat

21 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

you need to read the rules.  Recruiting isn't legal for anybody.

But we certainly agree on the rest of this.

Edited by ILB1999
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 8:52 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

This will be a great game to see. Wish it were on TV like last years Rivalry Thursday game. Anyone know if Diamond Clear carries West High.

Been going back and forth on this one all week.

Alcoa will be out for revenge after losing last years game plus they have playmakers at the skill positions that provide favorable matchups against the West defense (see Farragut game - as their guys are talented but not at Alcoa's level). 

For West - theyre getting better and growing up every week and its awesome to see. Last week they cut back on the turnovers some but theyll need to be flawless on Friday and not give up the big plays on defense as well as control the LOS on both sides of the ball. 

As for the refs - they need to just call the game and let the players and coaches decide it on the field.

That all being said - im picking West to get it done as the underdog in this one and upsetting all the haters. If im wrong, im wrong but im going....

West 27 Alcoa 24.

Go Rebels!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ILB1999 said:

an explicit violation if it's coupled with recruiting.

absolutely correct about this. 

however, I would say scholarships even the playing field between public and private because many kids go to school out their school zone and it costs little to nothing.  they choose schools based on athletic and to some degree academic opportunities.  private schools being able to make attending their school more affordable only levels the playing field for parents who want to consider all options.  

I think the recruiting that most successful schools are "legally" doing is twofold...

1. the kids talk amongst themselves on social media, at camps, etc.

2. success is attractive and is the best recruiting tool there is.  

1 minute ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

How is offering a scholarship to an athlete not considered recruiting? 

all athletes have to go through the admissions office same as other kids at a private schools.  they are not supposed to contact the coaching staff first.  many private schools have a coach working in admissions for this reason I think.  anyway, I think they don't lead with financial aid in any case.  to my knowledge, it's not an "offer" like in college.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

absolutely correct about this. 

however, I would say scholarships even the playing field between public and private because many kids go to school out their school zone and it costs little to nothing.  they choose schools based on athletic and to some degree academic opportunities.  private schools being able to make attending their school more affordable only levels the playing field for parents who want to consider all options.  

I think the recruiting that most successful schools are "legally" doing is twofold...

1. the kids talk amongst themselves on social media, at camps, etc.

2. success is attractive and is the best recruiting tool there is.  

Don't try to make anyone feel bad about a school that can literally go anywhere and offer an athlete a scholarship. Leveling the playing field bs. Get out of here with that nonsense.