Battle of Champions - Alcoa at West

WestHigh4Life

Just now, theawesomebro said:

all athletes have to go through the admissions office same as other kids at a private schools.  they are not supposed to contact the coaching staff first.  many private schools have a coach working in admissions for this reason I think.  anyway, I think they don't lead with financial aid in any case.  to my knowledge, it's not an "offer" like in college.

You can term it however you want so its "legal" but we all know its recruiting. I don't care about private schools recruiting. To me they play in the private sector for a reason. What I had an issue with is when private schools played public ball, which luckily is done now.

Just now, SheriffofRedRock said:

You can term it however you want so its "legal" but we all know its recruiting. I don't care about private schools recruiting. To me they play in the private sector for a reason. What I had an issue with is when private schools played public ball, which luckily is done now.

I was just trying to thoughtfully answer your questions and have a conversation and in no way meant to make anyone feel bad.  you asked a question, I answered.  that's it. 

you seem to have a strong opinion and I don't mind at all.  but as a parent, if I can choose between a public school with good athletics and academics, it's nice to have the option for the same at a private school with the same cost.  sounds fair to me and as you pointed out, it is a different division so no harm no foul.

23 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

How is offering a scholarship to an athlete not considered recruiting? 

it generally always is.  The trouble is proving it.   Most kids get an offer, and they want to go.  At that point, the school that this kid is zoned for would never be able to prove anything.  You could only prove something if you had it in writing and the kid tried to turn it down.

21 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

when a kid practices with a public school in the summer prior to 9th grade, and then get recruited before school started, you will have a problem with it... and that happens almost every year.

1 hour ago, theawesomebro said:

I was just trying to thoughtfully answer your questions and have a conversation and in no way meant to make anyone feel bad.  you asked a question, I answered.  that's it. 

you seem to have a strong opinion and I don't mind at all.  but as a parent, if I can choose between a public school with good athletics and academics, it's nice to have the option for the same at a private school with the same cost.  sounds fair to me and as you pointed out, it is a different division so no harm no foul.

Yea no issue whatsoever with Private schools giving out scholarships and recruiting. LA is showing that you can have success if you do it. Ya'll even schedule some of the best programs in the country and moved up to the biggest classification in TN for private ball. 

1 hour ago, ILB1999 said:

when a kid practices with a public school in the summer prior to 9th grade, and then get recruited before school started, you will have a problem with it... and that happens almost every year.

That happens all the time, but like you said it can't be proven anyway. To me if you lose a kid to a private school then you just move on. Public schools for the most part can't offer all of the things private schools can. The only thing that helps is the local East Tn private schools where I'm located can't compete against the private schools they have to play against for the most part. If the East Tn privates build dorms then maybe they can compete with the ones who do.

I still have a problem with public schools recruiting. There are multiple examples within the past 10-20 years of teams sudden rise and quick fall.

13 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

Yea no issue whatsoever with Private schools giving out scholarships and recruiting. LA is showing that you can have success if you do it. Ya'll even schedule some of the best programs in the country and moved up to the biggest classification in TN for private ball. 

yeah might not be working out as well this year but hopefully things settle down soon.

21 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

Turtle must has been a sleep when Alcoa called the dogs off and played 2nd team, 3rd team  freshman team and cheerleaders second half and still won 42-0! :lol:

hahahaha, no actually I was happy because I was on my way to Gainesville after the game.  Hahahaha but seriously though, you all started out SLOW 7-0 to a team that didn't play most of their starters is pretty much shocking.  IDC who you had out there, you all only had 7 points at the end of the 1st quarter .  

On 9/27/2023 at 11:09 AM, oridgecat said:

Turtle, serious question for you.  Why is it that AE cannot keep their football players?  Is it leadership?  Community interest? or what?   If they kept all the dudes playing at other schools they would be contenders for sure.  

That's a good question and the only reason why I foresee is, its sports programs haven't been up to par as of late.  Plus many schools use the most recent incident that occurred inside the school to their advantage.  I think if the winning was there, the students will stay around.  AE has an AD that's making sure the winning is coming back.  It started with the Basketball team last year, football team is next, and then the other sports will follow.    Good question though

21 hours ago, oridgecat said:

spot on.  I was just trying to ask turtle basically is there any plans to do anything about it.  Maybe hire a Rosser type Coach, meaning one that could get players back and keep them there.  Or a change in the community support which is sorely lacking, make AE football a big deal again.  Just wondering if AE football will go the way of the coo coo bird.  That would be a shame because it really did used to be a big deal and a point of pride within that community.   It's a shame really to watch it flounder.  They used to play OR first at OR every year.  Those were great competitive games.  Clinkscales and them

The person at the helm is very important and the AD knows what's going.  The last AD really didn't care but the current AD will make the necessary  change if needed, hence the basketball team.  Our youth program is one of the best there is lately so its all on the parents giving  the school a chance and keeping the outside coaches from recruiting them and promising them things that they don't keep their word once they get them.  

but Back to the ALcoa vs West game

19 minutes ago, Turtle said:

hahahaha, no actually I was happy because I was on my way to Gainesville after the game.  Hahahaha but seriously though, you all started out SLOW 7-0 to a team that didn't play most of their starters is pretty much shocking.  IDC who you had out there, you all only had 7 points at the end of the 1st quarter .  

Yup, they have started slow the last couple of games? Looking back at the scrimmages with McCallie ,Bradley Central and first game with Ravenwood we have not looked as good on offense since? If the team that played BC shows up at West.....the Rebels are in trouble. That offense was a machine!