What does Greenbrier need?

GreenbrierCat2

I can’t put my finger in it, but Greenbrier needs to do something different.   I’ll usually defend the Cats to the death but what is it with them?  Last year they produced several college recruits, including for The Vols.   Not so much this year.  

Still, we never are consistent.  It hurts to say, but this year we aren’t even mediocre.  I understand we’re a small town with a small pool of talent,  but something in the scores tell me we’re needing a new formula.  Maybe sticking with the former Bobcat players (even from the 70’s or 80’s) as coaches when they were on mediocre teams themselves is shooting ourselves in the foot?   

No hard feelings toward current coaches, but I am thinking we need a new mentality with new blood at the helm.  Will the powers that be ever see that?  I don’t know if we keep doing what we always have done, we’ll keep getting what we’ve always gotten.  

What are some of the things others think would help?  Just curious.  

I’m an old Bobcat and I know Greenbrier is in an extremely tough Region. Still, games are Won and Lost in the trenches. In today’s game, I don’t see guys firing off the ball and beating their man in front of them. Low man Wins! Whether that’s Greenbrier or whoever, a lot of teams play finesse football. I miss the old school smash mouth football.  

I’ll post it separately, but what do y’all think of Greenbrier vs Heritage on Friday night? 

On 9/23/2023 at 12:02 AM, GreenbrierCat2 said:

I can’t put my finger in it, but Greenbrier needs to do something different.   I’ll usually defend the Cats to the death but what is it with them?  Last year they produced several college recruits, including for The Vols.   Not so much this year.  

Still, we never are consistent.  It hurts to say, but this year we aren’t even mediocre.  I understand we’re a small town with a small pool of talent,  but something in the scores tell me we’re needing a new formula.  Maybe sticking with the former Bobcat players (even from the 70’s or 80’s) as coaches when they were on mediocre teams themselves is shooting ourselves in the foot?   

No hard feelings toward current coaches, but I am thinking we need a new mentality with new blood at the helm.  Will the powers that be ever see that?  I don’t know if we keep doing what we always have done, we’ll keep getting what we’ve always gotten.  

What are some of the things others think would help?  Just curious.  

You kinda took the words out my mouth from Last year. Yall overall team size has always impressed me and the kids has always been tough. 

On 9/26/2023 at 8:01 AM, Fryinpan66 said:

I’m an old Bobcat and I know Greenbrier is in an extremely tough Region. Still, games are Won and Lost in the trenches. In today’s game, I don’t see guys firing off the ball and beating their man in front of them. Low man Wins! Whether that’s Greenbrier or whoever, a lot of teams play finesse football. I miss the old school smash mouth football.  

I’ll post it separately, but what do y’all think of Greenbrier vs Heritage on Friday night? 

Jason, I think the Patriots are up and the Cats are down. Hate to say it but I see Heritage winning by at least 10.  

Coach Murray and The Pats are proving the point of my post.  New blood, new game plan.  

16 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

1. A real strength program. Whatever they are doing is not working.

2. Some speedy skill players to show up for school and practice.

3. A coach that does not get bored with working on the fundamentals. 80% of the game.

4. A fresh perspective on the sidelines.

No reason not to be at least a playoff team.

Seriously after Friday I totally agree. Looking at GB they have No reason not to be a playoff team. They have size on the line and at the skill position. The have a QB and #11 who I fill should also be in the back field!! They have decent team speed.