MAVERICKS @ DRAGONS (Thursday Rivalry)

92Dragon

AC crosses the Clinch River Thursday night for the cross town showdown. Two or three weeks ago, I might have thought this would be a close game.  Now, I just don't think it'll be that close. AC is starting to bang on all cylinders while Clinton's defense can't seem to force a 3 and out on decent teams. And the offense has trouble scoring on a decent defense. 

Sighhhh, Thoughts? Predictions?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 92Dragon said:

AC crosses the Clinch River Thursday night for the cross town showdown. Two or three weeks ago, I might have thought this would be a close game.  Now, I just don't think it'll be that close. AC is starting to bang on all cylinders while Clinton's defense can't seem to force a 3 and out on decent teams. And the offense has trouble scoring on a decent defense. 

Sighhhh, Thoughts? Predictions?

Clinton has more talent, seniors, and depth. On paper they should outright win. AC has better coaches and scheme. But may not be enough to overcome the talent disparity.

It's a rivalry game so throw it all out the window 

• Upvote 1

Dragon, if Clinton can find a way to win this one, I'll be impressed. AC is really humming along now, although their schedule the past 3 games has helped a lot with that.

The amount of mental fortitude it takes to run through a 3-game stretch like this one for Clinton is significant, especially since they're hunting for that first quality W. Maybe the Dragons find enough extra juice for this one, but I think AC wins by a couple of scores.

Edited by osunut2
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, haweanbula said:

Clinton has more talent, seniors, and depth. On paper they should outright win. AC has better coaches and scheme. But may not be enough to overcome the talent disparity.

It's a rivalry game so throw it all out the window 

You're absolutely correct. On paper, Clinton should win. But I'll be surprised if they do the way they've been playing especially on defense.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 92Dragon said:

Well, I guess we'll give you 4 more days to make your decision. :grin:

Yep I guess AC will need it... Oops I mean yep I will need it... Too. Lol. This is hard and I really mean it. A QB that scrambles like Keith and an offensive line against a really good OR team makes this a hard one. Now I have no doubt AC will run a score up but will Clinton match it with the scrambling. Putting this one in the hands of Defense Coach Lambert. He's been really good and pretty confident. The Cleveland game is another example that Clinton can score. If we can get like 3 stops that will put us comfortably ahead. If we don't this will be a shootout and someone bar the door. 

Edited by Mavericksinflight

4 hours ago, Mavericksinflight said:

Yep I guess AC will need it... Oops I mean yep I will need it... Too. Lol. This is hard and I really mean it. A QB that scrambles like Keith and an offensive line against a really good OR team makes this a hard one. Now I have no doubt AC will run a score up but will Clinton match it with the scrambling. Putting this one in the hands of Defense Coach Lambert. He's been really good and pretty confident. The Cleveland game is another example that Clinton can score. If we can get like 3 stops that will put us comfortably ahead. If we don't this will be a shootout and someone bar the door. 

What concerns me about this Clinton team is the same thing that worried me before the season started and that is their defense.

Clinton's defense looked really good until they fired the defensive coordinator after the Oak Ridge game last year, and ever since then this defense has looked lost against the better teams on their schedule.

Moog will have a huge game this week as long as he is healthy because Clinton hasn't shown that they can stop the run against a decent team.

I don't know who Clintons defensive coordinator is this year but the defense doesn't look like it's getting better or coached up in my opinion.

Right now, I'm going to say AC 42 Clinton 28

I hope Clinton proves me wrong.

9 minutes ago, 92Dragon said:

What concerns me about this Clinton team is the same thing that worried me before the season started and that is their defense.

Clinton's defense looked really good until they fired the defensive coordinator after the Oak Ridge game last year, and ever since then this defense has looked lost against the better teams on their schedule.

Moog will have a huge game this week as long as he is healthy because Clinton hasn't shown that they can stop the run against a decent team.

I don't know who Clintons defensive coordinator is this year but the defense doesn't look like it's getting better or coached up in my opinion.

Right now, I'm going to say AC 42 Clinton 28

I hope Clinton proves me wrong.

I noticed that they moved #8 to Safety against OR? He fits more as a LB, IMO.