MAVERICKS @ DRAGONS (Thursday Rivalry)

92Dragon

As with a lot of games, this one was decided as AC decisively won the battle up front on both the offensive and defensive lines. On defense, they constantly pressured Keith and made him move and try to throw over the top of oncoming people. He hit a few, but he missed more than he hit. He took several sacks and a couple of intentional grounding calls. I thought Clinton should have tried to run the ball a little more with Goins, especially wide stuff to make the Mavs spread out some. On the other side of the ball, the AC offensive line provided excellent pass protection and plenty of push up front on running plays, Moog always seemed to have a good head start before he got any contact and one on one, he is tough to get down. Quarterback had all day to throw, either in the pocket or rolling out. Clinton kicking game again betrayed them, altough they did have a couple of good punts. 

I certainly hope Joshua Keith is not hurt bad, he is a great player, but its hard to carry a team by one's self. Clinton's chances in the rest of the regular season and in the playoffs depend on him being able to play.

10 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

As with a lot of games, this one was decided as AC decisively won the battle up front on both the offensive and defensive lines. On defense, they constantly pressured Keith and made him move and try to throw over the top of oncoming people. He hit a few, but he missed more than he hit. He took several sacks and a couple of intentional grounding calls. I thought Clinton should have tried to run the ball a little more with Goins, especially wide stuff to make the Mavs spread out some. On the other side of the ball, the AC offensive line provided excellent pass protection and plenty of push up front on running plays, Moog always seemed to have a good head start before he got any contact and one on one, he is tough to get down. Quarterback had all day to throw, either in the pocket or rolling out. Clinton kicking game again betrayed them, altough they did have a couple of good punts. 

I certainly hope Joshua Keith is not hurt bad, he is a great player, but its hard to carry a team by one's self. Clinton's chances in the rest of the regular season and in the playoffs depend on him being able to play.

I second that about Keith. He had 400+ some odd lbs come down on him with force. 

Playoffs would be:

Our 1 vs their 4 at home, Our 2 vs their 3 at home.

Our 3 vs their 2 away, Our 4 vs their 1 away. 

Standings Right Now:

1, Oak Ridge

2. Lenoir CIty

3. Clinton

4. Campbell County

Karns

1. Walker Valley

2. McMinn County

3. East Hamilton

4. Rhea County

Ooltewah

Howard

It will change as teams still have games with each other 

46 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Playoffs would be:

Our 1 vs their 4 at home, Our 2 vs their 3 at home.

Our 3 vs their 2 away, Our 4 vs their 1 away. 

Standings Right Now:

1, Oak Ridge

2. Lenoir CIty

3. Clinton

4. Campbell County

Karns

1. Walker Valley

2. McMinn County

3. East Hamilton

4. Rhea County

Ooltewah

Howard

It will change as teams still have games with each other 

If Clinton can grab the 2 seed, you’d have to like their chances against East Ham or Rhea. Depending on the health of Keith, of course.

For the most part ; what i was pleased with was the fact the secondary was tested by a really good QB. Thats not the whole picture because you have to have the contained rush. But a scrambling QB with the Quality of Keith is going to burn you at some point as he did just seconds to go in the 1st half. But the Mavs played through adversity. 1 play doesn't make a game its a full 4 quarters and at this point I am happy with a trip to Chattanooga repeat. Still 1,/3 of regular season to go 

Edited by Mavericksinflight

4 hours ago, wolfgang said:

How about them Dragons! This was to be their year AGAIN, but 5-5 is the best they can hope for and then 5-6 or 6-6 and they're done. The optimism is always high until reality punches them in the mouth. Hey 92Dragon, what do you think is the problem and how does it get fixed?

The problem with this year's team has to start up front with the offensive and defensive lines. The offensive line doesn't block well enough for us to run the ball and doesn't give our QB enough time to find open receivers and seems like he is always running for his life.

Our defense is undersized and just gets pushed around. We can't force any 3 & outs and get our defense off the field.

Special teams are not very good. Our kickoffs are short and gives the other teams good starting field position. We can't hit PAT's consistently and I feel like that comes down to the line not blocking like it should, so it seems like we are always playing catch-up.

Punting was a little better last night but still not anywhere it needs to be.

I don't like to criticize coaches because I wouldn't want their job, but this is what they signed up for and what they chose to do.The football program is definitely in better shape now than it was when Keith took over, but still not where it should be after 4 years.  There was a lot of support for Keith when he first showed up but I feel like he has done some things and said some things over the last 4 years that have rubbed some people the wrong way. I don't feel like he represents Clinton in a positive way and  isn't the right guy for the job. He's definitely no cute Andy. (Sad face)

22 minutes ago, Mavericksinflight said:

For the most part ; what i was pleased with was the fact the secondary was tested by a really good QB. Thats not the whole picture because you have to have the contained rush. But a scrambling QB with the Quality of Keith is going to burn you at some point as he did just seconds to go in the 1st half. But the Mavs played through adversity. 1 play doesn't make a game its a full 4 quarters and at this point I am happy with a trip to Chattanooga repeat. Still 1,/3 of regular season to go 

Mav, is Clinton a good measuring stick for a trip to Chattanooga. Their two wins are over teams with 3 wins and 9 losses. Best wishes on the win.

29 minutes ago, 92Dragon said:

The problem with this year's team has to start up front with the offensive and defensive lines. The offensive line doesn't block well enough for us to run the ball and doesn't give our QB enough time to find open receivers and seems like he is always running for his life.

Our defense is undersized and just gets pushed around. We can't force any 3 & outs and get our defense off the field.

Special teams are not very good. Our kickoffs are short and gives the other teams good starting field position. We can't hit PAT's consistently and I feel like that comes down to the line not blocking like it should, so it seems like we are always playing catch-up.

Punting was a little better last night but still not anywhere it needs to be.

I don't like to criticize coaches because I wouldn't want their job, but this is what they signed up for and what they chose to do.The football program is definitely in better shape now than it was when Keith took over, but still not where it should be after 4 years.  There was a lot of support for Keith when he first showed up but I feel like he has done some things and said some things over the last 4 years that have rubbed some people the wrong way. I don't feel like he represents Clinton in a positive way and  isn't the right guy for the job. He's definitely no cute Andy. (Sad face)

Yep understand probably been easier and shorter to point out the good points. I would not have a coaches job and Clinton is now sandwiched between two good programs doesn't make a coach look good. And based on that probably not a good fit going forward since we know Clinton has had some good teams in the distant past. Not much good to say Dragon but as long as there is Friday night game Clinton can clean some of that up. 

41 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

Mav, is Clinton a good measuring stick for a trip to Chattanooga. Their two wins are over teams with 3 wins and 9 losses. Best wishes on the win.

Noons I knew you would open up on me haha. I really believe Clinton is a good benchmark. Because a scrambling QB is always chaos for most teams. There is actually no schematic no constant. But we held Clinton to 14 and IMO now, only mine, if we can do that after we get to Chattanooga then we are in good shape. Did you notice this time I uped the word After. Lol you good one Noons  Dream 2 be continued 

Edited by Mavericksinflight

3 minutes ago, Mavericksinflight said:

Yep understand probably been easier and shorter to point out the good points. I would not have a coaches job and Clinton is now sandwiched between two good programs doesn't make a coach look good. And based on that probably not a good fit going forward since we know Clinton has had some good teams in the distant past. Not much good to say Dragon but as long as there is Friday night game Clinton can clean some of that up. 

That's right. I'm not trying to bash anyone, just pointing out what I see. Some people take this stuff so seriously. I try to remember that it's a game being played by kids. There are more important things to worry about other than high school sports. 

8 minutes ago, 92Dragon said:

That's right. I'm not trying to bash anyone, just pointing out what I see. Some people take this stuff so seriously. I try to remember that it's a game being played by kids. There are more important things to worry about other than high school sports. 

Boy preaching to me. After years of the final Greeneville run (joke final) I was consumed. I understand but for me this time of the year it does give me a pick up as I get older. Something to look forward to. But apparently back home (East Tennessee) it's life it's actually everything and I can see that too but it always sets me up for downer. But I understand too It certainly (Football) is a great vehicle for discipline and growing in life as long as it's not being to radical.