GreenE Devils travel to Northview Academy

noonesfool

On 10/7/2023 at 9:03 AM, noonesfool said:

I believe this game goes well for the Greenies. The Devils passed the eyeball test last night. Reduced penalties (still needs work), ball spread around, QB play was excellent.

What is the stadium like at Northview?

They’ve only been around (in football) for 10yrs now. So everything is still fairly new. 44 and 5 are some bookend D-ends. Good size, speed and athletic. When they run the ball, they tend to run away from the motion. Good at sealing the ends and bouncing it outside. Think they will be a good addition to the Region. Betsy was a little caught up in playing their first home game AND homecoming. But once they settled in, it was over. But I’ll tell you. This bunch ain’t scared. When you’re playing Alcoa in Region every year, what’s there to fear?!

• Upvote 1

On 10/7/2023 at 9:03 AM, noonesfool said:

I believe this game goes well for the Greenies. The Devils passed the eyeball test last night. Reduced penalties (still needs work), ball spread around, QB play was excellent.

What is the stadium like at Northview?

Stadium is nice.  Probably want to leave early because the traffic.  Coming from Greene you could always take the back way through Dandridge and come out at the red light next to Swaggerty’s Sausage and then turn left and go to the next red light and turn left again and it takes you directly to the school.  The stadium is behind the school.  NVA will give it all they have, but I don’t see them hanging with Greene.

Edited by Romansfive8

3 hours ago, BigDaddyDave said:

They’ve only been around (in football) for 10yrs now. So everything is still fairly new. 44 and 5 are some bookend D-ends. Good size, speed and athletic. When they run the ball, they tend to run away from the motion. Good at sealing the ends and bouncing it outside. Think they will be a good addition to the Region. Betsy was a little caught up in playing their first home game AND homecoming. But once they settled in, it was over. But I’ll tell you. This bunch ain’t scared. When you’re playing Alcoa in Region every year, what’s there to fear?!

Good report Dave. PS: I did go to your Facebook page and at the top was a mutual friend, Steve Humphries (Hump). He was our tailback at the Hill in 1970 and I was the pulling guard. I took a lot of heat because I was the only Jr starter on either side of the ball. Hump loved me because I could run with him and that’s all that really counted.

Edited by noonesfool

1 hour ago, Romansfive8 said:

Stadium is nice.  Probably want to leave early because the traffic.  Coming from Greene you could always take the back way through Dandridge and come out at the red light next to Swaggerty’s Sausage and then turn left and go to the next red light and turn left again and it takes you directly to the school.  The stadium is behind the school.  NVA will give it all they have, but I don’t see them hanging with Greene.

Good to hear. I have to have patience as the game is week plus off.

15 hours ago, noonesfool said:

Good report Dave. PS: I did go to your Facebook page and at the top was a mutual friend, Steve Humphries (Hump). He was our tailback at the Hill in 1970 and I was the pulling guard. I took a lot of heat because I was the only Jr starter on either side of the ball. Hump loved me because I could run with him and that’s all that really counted.

I used to go to church with Hump. Sang in the choir with him. You know Allen Edwards too probably. I used to work with him. And my brother, Randy Lacy 61) played guard and nose for Betsy.

Edited by BigDaddyDave

Just now, BigDaddyDave said:

You know Allen Edwards too probably. I used to work with him. And my brother, Randy Lacy 61) played guard and nose for Betsy.

As of now, I hold the distinction of being on the last Betsy squad (1988-89) to beat Science Hill, DB and Greeneville in the same season. Until a few weeks ago, we held the last win over DB until the guys evened that up. I’m hoping they can pull out 7 more wins. This group has really come together over the past 4 years. They’ve had good coaching, good leadership and great examples to follow (Rollins, Hughes, Morton just to name a few). Along with a bunch of roll players who made the team roll. I have careful confidence in this team’s ceiling. I won’t count our chickens before they hatch though. I’ve seen Tullahoma (2020 vs Nolensville ) and Greeneville (2021 vs Betsy) get upset when it looked like each would challenge for the title. So I know better.

The Greene not getting a lot of love in this week's top 10 poll

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/10/09/tennessee-high-school-football-rankings-associated-press-week-8-statewide-poll/71084135007/

Class 4A

School (first-place votes) Record Points Previous
1. Pearl-Cohn (12) 8-0 152 1
2. Upperman (3) 7-0 133 2
3. Elizabethton (1) 7-0 128 3
4. Hardin County 8-0 109 4
5. Greeneville 6-0 108 5
6. Macon County 7-1 69 7
7. Marshall County 7-1 63 9
8. Haywood County 6-2 40 6
9. Gibbs 6-1 28 NR
10. Stone Memorial 6-2 18 8
Others receiving votes: Red Bank 13. Anderson County 11. Millington 8.

2 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

The Greene not getting a lot of love in this week's top 10 poll

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/10/09/tennessee-high-school-football-rankings-associated-press-week-8-statewide-poll/71084135007/

Class 4A

School (first-place votes) Record Points Previous
1. Pearl-Cohn (12) 8-0 152 1
2. Upperman (3) 7-0 133 2
3. Elizabethton (1) 7-0 128 3
4. Hardin County 8-0 109 4
5. Greeneville 6-0 108 5
6. Macon County 7-1 69 7
7. Marshall County 7-1 63 9
8. Haywood County 6-2 40 6
9. Gibbs 6-1 28 NR
10. Stone Memorial 6-2 18 8

Others receiving votes: Red Bank 13. Anderson County 11. Millington 8.

LoL pot stirrer! Only games count. Don’t mention the poll to Mavsinflight or he will be in a suicide watch.